Best Tuning Service for Springer???

Hi,
Can anyone recommend a good tuner for a spring piston rifle----and that is also reasonably priced? I am thinking of having my Beeman R9 tuned. As per another thread I have it may have a broken mainspring so if I am going to get that fixed then I might as well have it tuned at the same time.

thanks
Matt
What do you consider a "reasonable price"? If you want a spring kit and seal installed and basic deburr I would count on about $200 parts and labor.

Reactions: Deerstalker
Have you considered doing it yourself? I put an ARH kit with a Vortek seal in my HW95L .22 and with the videos available it was a simple install. I also did a through clean/polish and re-lubed with Krytox GPL-205. I don't know if that qualifies as a tune but the rifle is shooting at 17 FPE and is accurate. I did not use any special tools and at 83+ I didn't have any problems. If you do have any questions about the install the good folks on this forum will be glad to help.

Maybe grab a jm spring and a hw and vortex seals and do it yourself.. can get jm seals and practice fitting one up.. ( i like to get a few seals to play with or if ones goofed) and a jar of moly . theres not much to disassemble one. 4 screws,1hinge bolt, 2 pins, 4 keepers ( pins snd keepers just push out and back in pretty much). Then a spring compressor is easy had like a bar clamp for 12$ at harbor freight.

Like said plenty of tips, help, vids, and members here to help if you hit a roadblock ..

Last edited:
Fellow member Motorhead is another tuner highly recommended and may well be closer to you in Texas than John in PA.
Memory ain't what it used to be but I do seem to remember someone mentioning a tuner right there in Texas that does excellent work also, but can't remember the name.
They should have a sticky with names and contact info for members wanting tuning work to have easy access to.

Send it off pay good and hope its satisfactory or what your really want or looking for. Then nothing comes close to your own work and experience you gained. Heck you may tune yours yourself better then any you send off with fingers crossed.. and you know what you got and the next times you do it its easier and your a bit more smarter and theres that lets try this this time and see what i get...

What do you consider a "reasonable price"? If you want a spring kit and seal installed and basic deburr I would count on about $200 parts and labor.
IMHO, that would be quite the bargain, and really very little compensation for time and labor given what materials cost. I have yet to experience a pro tune that costs less than $325, including shipping costs. Still “worth it” in my view, but a lot relative to the likely cost of the gun. A DIY project is probably the best option if there is cost sensitivity, plus you learn a lot in the process.
R

Dave Slade at Airgunwerks
Considering the OP's stated priorities "a good tuner for a spring piston rifle----and that is also reasonably priced", Dave Slade is definitely his best choice. Head gunsmith for Beeman for years, decades of professional gunsmithing experience, on thousands of airguns, good stock of parts on hand, quick turnaround, NO NONSENSE... and $79!

Dave has my FWB 124 right now.

Last edited:
Quality doesn't just cost. It pays.

Don't think a hard case will keep your gun from sliding all around in there. Most don't. You better add something to keep the gun from moving about.

Many inexpensive hard cases have plastic pillars which have been shown to gouge stocks and sometimes break triggers if the gun is sent broken down. The best way to secure it is to cut slits in the foam inserts and then slip something through to strap it in. A layer of bubble wrap doesn't hurt, either. I've found that the thin plastic which movers use to wrap furniture is a good alternative to packing tap. It holds and is 1000% easier for the shipper to unpackage. The plastic shipping wrap can be found at office supply stores. I imagine a roll of clear kitchen wrap like Stretch Tite works just as well.