Better wood on air rifles

Those AA wood stocks are actually really, really nice. I’ve got beech on my S410 and walnut on my TX200 and I’d be really happy if the rest of my guns had similar quality wood on them.
I have loved the walnut stock on my TX200 so much that when Airguns of Arizona received it's first supply of HW97K's in walnut, I just had to have one. It's beautiful and a shooter as well. Orv.

Reactions: Genob
My brother asked me to build him a custom made PCP in blue laminate stock. This was 2 years ago and it still performs like new, very accurate. Target on table is 10 shots @ 40 meters. He did the final stock trimming and fitting for his own comfort. Sorry it's pic heavy.

image000008.jpg

image000003.jpg

image000002.jpg

image000000 (2).jpg

image000004.jpg

image000000 (6).jpg

there are many species of Walnut throughout the world. They all have their own grain and color characteristics. Some turn dark with just clear finishes but some like English or European walnut are typically stained a reddish brown before finish On gunstocks. I say typically because there are always exceptions . I have four American walnut or Black walnut blanks and each are a different color. Walnut in my area of PA is dark and can have a purple tint to it. And is mostly straight grain Through the trunk. A lot has to do with the minerals and other factors in the soil. That’s with any tree. I am not sure what species of walnutthe FX guns have . It doesn’t look like typical European walnut to me. It isn’t stained and the grain is not filled so they have a dull hungry look to them. Having been in PA long rifles most of my life I am a big fan of figured maple. It can be many different looks like walnut and how it is cut is a big factor in how the grain shows on the sides of the stock which is where you want it be. This DRS is stocked in a soft silver maple and came from a flat sawed blank. Ideally you want a quarter sawn blank for the figure to pop on the sides. I also prefer Red Maple for more vibrant color and figure. I should have stained this stock red as it would look like it is on fire.

IMG_5731.jpeg

IMG_5727.jpeg

IMG_5730.jpeg

I'm no woodworker but I have taken a few stocks down to the original growth color and rings to see what it looks like underneath and I could do with it. There is no way of knowing what is there to work with with these factory spray tan finishes or what you are capable of with regards to woodworking unless you try, so go for it! This grip is simply stripped of all the factory plastic stain, narrowed and sanded down to fit my hand and liking, and then stained in walnut oil based stain and finished up with common wood conditioner, Howard Wax-N-Feed , no polymer sealers, etc.
GK1-grip-mod.png

Last edited:
Thinking all the really wild good old growth wood is gone. Still some good piece's but not like the old day's.
Crosman used to get there best stuff from the furniture store across the road in there rejects pile. As it was "too wild" for quality furniture :oops:.

The not as good side:
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

Benjamin even had decent enough wood.

John
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

Just for" Genob" only because he knows what a Farco is. And it is wood.
"Garco survival rifle" with factory (lol , not like we think of "factory") installed genuine roofing tack's attaching the "butt plate" (recycled rubber cut to form).
Was painted as in with paint Brown and a rather ugly think brown at that. Sanded that down and found wood which I am certain is not banned from importation. (sure)

John

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

Well, there is some fine factory shotguns stocks out there. At least some of my Merkels - but they are all about 50 years old and hand made, so factory well, well…..

View attachment 486209

View attachment 486210
Your collection of German guns appear to be pre WW2 and have been refreshed. I also collect pre war sporting guns and refresh the stocks and metal. Most of mine have needed to be stained as I’m sure yours have. I hate to see a German gun of this vintage that has been refreshed but the wood not stained. Here is a nice Kirsten action cape gun restored by a gunsmith but not stained and then it has a poly finish rather than an oil finish. Compared to another same action double rifle I refinished . Stock was blonde European walnut before I stained it with a nut brown alcohol stain and hand rubbed oil. Some day I’ll refinish the cape rifle and stain the stock.

IMG_5116.jpeg

IMG_2483.jpeg

Just for" Genob" only because he knows what a Farco is. And it is wood.
"Garco survival rifle" with factory (lol , not like we think of "factory") installed genuine roofing tack's attaching the "butt plate" (recycled rubber cut to form).
Was painted as in with paint Brown and a rather ugly think brown at that. Sanded that down and found wood which I am certain is not banned from importation. (sure)

John

View attachment 486300
How did you know, lol. I use to carry a plank of wood so I could pump it up in the muddy rice fields, lol. We shot ducks with it on the irrigation canals. Stock looks to be mahogany.

This pistol started life as rifle. I bought it in the Philippines when I was station at NAS Cubi Point back in 1975. I then cut it down the barrel to 14" and cut the stock to pistol style. Wood is iron wood (Ipil-ipil) as they call it. This made by JBC airguns, they made less than a hundred before the competition burn the plant down. Mine is #17, the CO2 tanks I cut down shorter so it can be left attached if desired.

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg