Big business scams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a cautionary tale of trends that I’m seeing from larger online retailers. They send you a coupon code, you build a cart, you successfully apply the code, but when you check out the promo disappears. If you try to reapply the code, it just says invalid. No merchandise excluded warning, no add xyz dollar amount to qualify, no coupon expired, no first time use/in-app only, it just doesn’t work. May be innocent mistakes with programming, but it feels like retailers hope you check out before you notice, or are too invested in your cart full of junk that you don’t care and buy it anyway. I’ve had this happen at Bud’s, Midway, and two food product retailers unrelated to shooting sports pretty recently.

Then, cheaperthandirt (I know, I know) let me add product, select economy shipping, add payment data, and on the confirmation page under the giant “place order” button I noticed a small box in the corner showing the price had gone up $289.99. Without my input or permission, they updated my economy shipping to next day, overnight. Nice try.

I don’t know if these practices actually qualify as scams since the data is technically there upfront and is still subject to the customer’s approval, but it sure feels like companies are employing techniques to fleece every last cent out of their customers.

Shop safe!

That’s definitely frustrating and feels like a sneaky tactic. While it may not qualify as a scam legally, these kinds of practices certainly seem designed to exploit the customer’s trust and attention. The disappearing promo code situation could indeed be a technical glitch, but when it happens repeatedly across multiple retailers, it starts to look more intentional.

It’s definitely a good reminder to double-check every detail before hitting that final “place order” button. Thanks for sharing the heads-up!

Yep. Home Depot just paid a $2 million settlement for similar shady practices. They advertised one price, but then actually charged a higher price at checkout. The $2 million they paid is likely just a drop in the bucket of the actual money they swindled away. I've personally seen similar from Safeway (a large East coast grocery chain) and Tractor Supply Co. where I would occasionally buy hunting supplies (so it's relevant to this forum). TSC was the worst. The price placard on the shelf below an item would say $9.99, but then when the cashier scanned it, it rang up as $11.99. Just an example. That would happen for more than half the items I was buying. Went on for years. It had gotten so common there that I started taking a pic of each price placard with my phone so I could show the cashier to save time of them trying to deny it. Ended up having a few arguments with managers about it, and I'm really not that type. This was about the principle. There's a real thin line between an honest mistake and a coordinated scheme to pad profits.

Bottom line, people need to be vigilant about checking what they are actually being charged. The big businesses are not above acting like common crooks, unfortunately. They make millions in additional profit from all the people that don't notice.

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
Went to work for a company a number of years back who would send out 3 or 4 invoices to customers who'd already paid in full, just on the chance SOME might forget & pay again. Many did. I quit when I discovered that unscrupulous practice. This is kind of the same B.S. They assume people aren't paying attention & sadly, a lot don't! BTW, I informed the BBB, Fire Marshal & a lot of that company's customers as to what they were doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.