Big game hunting with air guns

In a discussion of $3000 airguns the thread started drifting into use of airguns on large game. Deer and larger game. A view was expressed that it is not very ethical because airguns do not generate shock and the theory is that means a slow death for the game. I do not agree with a lot of that view.

It is true that airgun velocities are like handgun velocities or black powder gun velocities. The tissue in our quarry will expand much more slowly due to the lower velocity and it will be able to collapse back eliminating any shock damage. I think looking at ballistic gel projectile paths for airguns is misleading because of this. But when the only guns were black powder velocity was similarly limited and lots of large animals died. I used to live in PA and have a left handed flintlock for their primitive weapons season. I did not kill a deer with it but I am confident a 45 caliber lead ball will cleanly take a deer at close range. It has been done many, many times. It can break the shoulder bone to get to the lungs.

Some enjoy using handguns to take large game. Even a 44 magnum is too slow to create shock damage to animals. So it kills by making a hole just like an airgun or a black powder rifle. Game up to and including Cape buffalo have been taken with them. I would not attempt that but to argue they won't take a deer because they do not generate shock is just incorrect.

When I shoot a squirrel with my 177, 22, or 25 caliber airguns I usually get DRT results. There is no shock. I use only domed pellets so they do not even expand. They make a big enough hole in the head or chest and the animal dies in seconds.

Airgun fpe can be as high as 1200 fpe which most would admit is enough for deer. But most are much lower. Airguns have to be large in caliber to make fairly high fpe but that means their projectiles do not need to expand to make a large enough hole to kill a deer. I tend to agree that most of us should not use guns which will only work if we make a good brain shot. Not a head shot, a brain shot. But with a 45 caliber airgun we can be right up there with blackpowder guns and large bore handguns.

State game commissions exist to ensure the animals are taken responsibly. Most allow airguns. They looked at the evidence and decided they are big enough.

I only use airguns for small game but with the right gun, I am sure they will ethically take large game. Not at hundreds of yards but cleanly and ethically.

In a discussion of $3000 airguns the thread started drifting into use of airguns on large game. Deer and larger game. A view was expressed that it is not very ethical because airguns do not generate shock and the theory is that means a slow death for the game. I do not agree with a lot of that view.

It is true that airgun velocities are like handgun velocities or black powder gun velocities. The tissue in our quarry will expand much more slowly due to the lower velocity and it will be able to collapse back eliminating any shock damage. I think looking at ballistic gel projectile paths for airguns is misleading because of this. But when the only guns were black powder velocity was similarly limited and lots of large animals died. I used to live in PA and have a left handed flintlock for their primitive weapons season. I did not kill a deer with it but I am confident a 45 caliber lead ball will cleanly take a deer at close range. It has been done many, many times. It can break the shoulder bone to get to the lungs.

Some enjoy using handguns to take large game. Even a 44 magnum is too slow to create shock damage to animals. So it kills by making a hole just like an airgun or a black powder rifle. Game up to and including Cape buffalo have been taken with them. I would not attempt that but to argue they won't take a deer because they do not generate shock is just incorrect.

When I shoot a squirrel with my 177, 22, or 25 caliber airguns I usually get DRT results. There is no shock. I use only domed pellets so they do not even expand. They make a big enough hole in the head or chest and the animal dies in seconds.

Airgun fpe can be as high as 1200 fpe which most would admit is enough for deer. But most are much lower. Airguns have to be large in caliber to make fairly high fpe but that means their projectiles do not need to expand to make a large enough hole to kill a deer. I tend to agree that most of us should not use guns which will only work if we make a good brain shot. Not a head shot, a brain shot. But with a 45 caliber airgun we can be right up there with blackpowder guns and large bore handguns.

State game commissions exist to ensure the animals are taken responsibly. Most allow airguns. They looked at the evidence and decided they are big enough.

I only use airguns for small game but with the right gun, I am sure they will ethically take large game. Not at hundreds of yards but cleanly and ethically.

I appreciate your opinions. And I share them.

An ethical shot is one you are reasonably sure you can make with the rifle you have in your hand. Only you decide what is ethical at the moment you pull the trigger.

My whole point was that many guys are simply overestimating the capabilities of their rifles. Of that there is no doubt. And I think I made that case well on the other thread.

Guys who hunt with Bows and primitive weapons often track their game for hours after the shot to recover them. Even with a rifle a well placed shot can lead to a difficult kill.

The average shooter today has no idea about how his projectile performs at range nor where it stops performing. They ALWAYS overestimate the effectiveness of their weapon. Any guide or professional hunter will tell you that. It's no different with airgunners.

With airguns the projectile never "performs". So the skills needed to make an "ethical" shot are increased. You are going to run out of gun fast. Your kill zone is much smaller. At some point it becomes sketchy. You must come prepared to track a wounded animal and recover him.

I just don't hear these discussions. I do hear wild ideas about effective range and naive assertions about projectile performance. Guys planning to shoot deer in the head. Fellows that can hit a dot at 200 so they figure that's how far out they can shoot at coyotes.

I just wanted to start an intelligent conversation from the perspective of an experienced hunter. I think it is a valuable one.

It's my opinion that MOST guys have no business trying to kill a hog or a deer with MOST air rifles unless it is under ideal conditions. A less expensive powderburner is much better suited for this type of game as well as the average hunters skill level.

But that's just my opinion and I understand if someone does not share it. I respect that completely. I also appreciate the space to express my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: L.Leon and Vetmx
last couple years i've taken several whitetail deer with my .457 piledriver.
my shots are mostly double lung, heart/lung or somewhere in between
and tracking is needed. my favorite shot is a high shoulder shot close range around 30yrds or less.
the 720fpe that the piledriver produces drops them right there.
with my 30's and 35's, i will tend to go with a neck shot.
my goal is to not have to blood trail them due to my eye sight.
i hunt early mornings by myself and here in the deepest south alabama, the fields are usually soaking wet with dew and it makes tracking tough to this ol'guy, so i like DRT endings. :sneaky:

last couple years i've taken several whitetail deer with my .457 piledriver.
my shots are mostly double lung, heart/lung or somewhere in between
and tracking is needed. my favorite shot is a high shoulder shot close range around 30yrds or less.
the 720fpe that the piledriver produces drops them right there.
with my 30's and 35's, i will tend to go with a neck shot.
my goal is to not have to blood trail them due to my eye sight.
i hunt early mornings by myself and here in the deepest south alabama, the fields are usually soaking wet with dew and it makes tracking tough to this ol'guy, so i like DRT endings. :sneaky:

That's a fat bullet going fast. How heavy is it?

If it's knocking them down at the range you are shooting it's for sure plenty.

How much do those Alabama deer weigh? Whitetails?

That's a fat bullet going fast. How heavy is it?

If it's knocking them down at the range you are shooting it's for sure plenty.

How much do those Alabama deer weigh? Whitetails?
my cast 405gr lyman bullet RNFP traveling out the muzzle @895fps.

occasionally we see them up to 200lbs, but usually a mature Buck is around 150-160lb.
i've tried to eat horns, but i'd rather find a healthy doe thats just put her babies into the adventures on there own.

my cast 405gr lyman bullet RNFP traveling out the muzzle @895fps
occasionally we see them up to 200lbs, but usually a mature Buck is around 150-160lb.
i've tried to eat horns, but i'd rather find a healthy doe thats just put her babies into adventures on there own.

You are casting 405 gr. Airgun slugs? That's too cool! Like a baby 45-70!

That's a bunch of energy there. I had no idea airguns could shoot slugs like that!

I shoot a 250 gr. 457 in a sabot in my 50 encore. I'm not sure how fast it goes. 90 grains of pyrodex. It couldn't be a whole lot faster than that monster 405. Maybe 12-1500fps?

Crap. That's a bullet bro. Can you toss those things close together at 100 yards? I bet the trajectory is crazy.

That would probably kill a desert mule deer at 100 yards or better. Probably more. You would get your exercise recovering him but it would do it. A doe might run 185lbs or so. Buck way up there sometimes. 250+

Yeah. Buck deer are not the best fare. Cow elk or doe for me too.

Last edited:
Reactions: gendoc
People use bows so I see no issues with airguns. Its all about shot placement.

Hello BB89!

There is no comparison between a bow and an airgun. A bow has much more killing power for large animals than any airgun out there. Even the monster shooting a 405 grain cast bullet discussed above. A bow is a super lethal weapon capable of killing the largest game animals. A bow is equal to most high power rifle cartridges within its working range.

Yes. Shot placement is the only way you can effectively kill a medium to large sized animal with an airgun. It is much more critical than with an appropriate rifle or bow.

Thus my argument that most guys in most situations with most airguns shouldn't try to shoot larger animals like deer and hogs. It takes an experienced hunter and a clear understanding of the rifles capabilities. Knowledge of the animals physiology. And the expectation that follow up shots and a chase through the countryside will be needed. Because the shot doesn't always go perfect.

Wouldn't you agree?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hal4son
I thought you needed “shock” to kill stuff Bob?

Most people shooting a bow shouldn’t be shooting animals with it either. I agree that bows with sharp broadheads are incredibly lethal machines. But, they are not easy to shoot well, and there’s a lot of moving parts in order to make a killing shot.

I’d argue that it’s much easier to kill a deer with a large caliber Airgun than with a bow…. as no movement is required, and they’re WAY easier to shoot well…. both of which lead to better placed shots more consistently. Come to think of it… this is why crossbows are much easier to shoot than traditional or compound bows.

Also, shot placement is equally as critical with an arrow as it is with an Airgun slug (or musket ball, or even bullet). Bullets, arrows, and Airgun slugs anywhere but the vitals will ALWAYS be a rodeo… even with your trusty 7 Mag.

What have you killed with a bow Bob?

Hello BB!

There is no comparison between a bow and an airgun. A bow has much more killing power for large animals than any airgun out there. Even the monster shooting a 405 grain cast bullet discussed above. A bow is a super lethal weapon. Equal to most high power rifle cartridges within its working range.

Yes. Shot placement is the only way you can effectively kill a medium to large sized animal with an airgun. It is much more critical than with an appropriate rifle or bow.

Thus my argument that most guys in most situations with most airguns shouldn't try to shoot large animals.

Do you agree?
I understand your views. Im not going to rant on my behalf. My state doesn’t allow it and I’m not making a trip to a state that does so it doesn’t matter. If a state allows it and one follows the rules than so be it.

I thought you needed “shock” to kill stuff Bob?

Most people shooting a bow shouldn’t be shooting animals with it either. I agree that bows with sharp broadheads are incredibly lethal machines. But, they are not easy to shoot well, and there’s a lot of moving parts in order to make a killing shot.

I’d argue that it’s much easier to kill a deer with a large caliber Airgun than with a bow…. as no movement is required, and they’re WAY easier to shoot well…. both of which lead to better placed shots more consistently. Come to think of it… this is why crossbows are much easier to shoot than traditional or compound bows.

Also, shot placement is equally as critical with an arrow as it is with an Airgun slug (or musket ball, or even bullet). Bullets, arrows, and Airgun slugs anywhere but the vitals will ALWAYS be a rodeo… even with your trusty 7 Mag.

What have you killed with a bow Bob?

Howdy there "Coinwa"!

As I told you before I've been bow hunting for about 20 years now. I've shot a couple elk, a few deer and turkey, some javelina and a bunch of blue grouse.

All fair chase on foot in wilderness you have to backpack or ride mules to get into. Mostly calling and spot and stalk.

I also guided big game hunts and hunted professionally for the USDA. My father was a professional hunter and guide for several years as well. So I guess it runs in the family!

What have you killed with a bow "Coinwa"?

Last edited:
I understand your views. Im not going to rant on my behalf. My state doesn’t allow it and I’m not making a trip to a state that does so it doesn’t matter. If a state allows it and one follows the rules than so be it.

I agree brother. If it's legal you should be able to try it. If you are confident in your shot, your gun and your skills you pull the trigger and deal with whatever happens. That's as good as it gets.

Couple elk, couple deer, a coyote or two, and one big azz raccoon raiding our chicken coop. One of the elk, and two of the deer were shot with an old Ben Pearson recurve.

I’ve never enjoyed bow hunting, though I seriously respect the killing power of bows. I’ve also been involved in way more rodeos that involved a bow shot animal, than all other methods of take combined. I too grew up in Rocky Mtn. states, and have always loved wilderness hunting, calling critters, and 5 mile pack-outs. I, like you, have also been a hired gun… and have been compensated to beat-down coyote populations.

If I needed to kill something deer sized, under 50 yards… I’d way rather have a big bore Airgun than a bow. When it comes to elk sized game… we’re on the same 7 mag page.

Couple elk, couple deer, a coyote or two, and one big azz raccoon raiding our chicken coop. One of the elk, and two of the deer were shot with an old Ben Pearson recurve.

I’ve never enjoyed bow hunting, though I seriously respect the killing power of bows. I’ve also been involved in way more rodeos that involved a bow shot animal, than all other methods of take combined. I too grew up in Rocky Mtn. states, and have always loved wilderness hunting, calling critters, and 5 mile pack-outs. I, like you, have also been a hired gun… and have been compensated to beat-down coyote populations.

If I needed to kill something deer sized, under 50 yards… I’d way rather have a big bore Airgun than a bow. When it comes to elk sized game… we’re on the same 7 mag page.

So I think we can both agree that every air rifle has its limitations. And only the largest of air rifles should be used to take game like deer and hogs.

We can also probably agree that the effective range of an air rifle capable of taking down a deer is quite limited. Something the hunter must fully understand before he hunts.

And experience has taught us both that a double lung shot with any gun does not produce "sure and immediate death". It can take a while. Sometimes a long while. It's a killing shot for sure. But they don't always just drop. Especially with a low velocity projectile.

And of course we agree that bad shots do happen. A wounded animal must be recovered if possible. As experienced hunters we plan for a bad shot. We go with the expectation we will have to track and follow a wounded animal and recover to the best of our ability. Because that's just what hunters do.

I hope we can agree that most guys with most air rifles don't fit this mold. And that the majority are vastly overestimating the killing power of their rifle. Even those who shoot smaller game with smaller rifles.

Last edited:
It seems we may be in what I sometimes call "violent agreement" Bedrock Bob. We're saying similar things differently.

What I read suggests that the minimum fpe for large game is not a great measure overestimating the ability of really high speed guns shooting light bullets (223, 22-250) and underestimating the ability of guns shooting large diameter heavy bullets. From that I would be willing to use a 45 caliber airgun at around 500 fpe on deer and may some day. But before I did, I would test penetration of the projectile from the gun for penetration in wet paper. I've done this for decades in both PBs and airguns. I want to have a better idea of what the projectile can do before I shoot an animal with it. I know my 30-06 shooting a simple jacketed hollow point will penetrate about 12 inches of wet newspaper and with a 180 grain Nosler partition it will penetrate about 18 inches. I would want to see about 12 inches for a airgun before trusting it for a body shot on large game. I've shot through a deer with a simple jacketed bullet from my 30-06.

On small game, I use the penetration of my Prod tuned to about 18 fpe as a minimum standard. It arrived at more like 12-13 fpe and I was dissatisfied with performance on squirrels. Since I retuned it the only one I've lost fell into a rotted out area of a large oak. None ran off. I know some use less but I shot a squirrel with a 5 fpe 177 pump up once. I killed it but it didn't die for several days. I broke a front shoulder but the pellet did not reach anything vital. 12 fpe obviously works for the people in England but they seem to hunt a lot over bait at pretty short range which is not even legal in the state I live in. After my negative experience with the Prod on a couple squirrels I hung a dead one on a tree and tried the penetration of multiple projectiles. I tried the same projectiles in wet magazines (easier to get that newspaper these days) so I have a reasonable cross reference. I retired the 5 fpe pump up from squirrel duty.

I also test airgun penetration in dry mdf. I have a test block of 1/4 inch thick pieces spaced about 3/8ths apart that I shoot into. My small gums like the Prod will go through one but not two layers. My ~30 fpe guns will go through 2 but not three layers. My ~45 fpe guns will go through 3 but not 4 layers. I think this test is reasonable for the ability to break through the skull and put a pellet into the brain. I take about half my squirrels this way and even the smaller guns work fine. 12 fpe will too as I see on videos. I took a small raccoon with a 32 fpe 22 pcp but it took three shots. Body shot got it's attention but it would not have died any time soon. A shot between the eyes dropped it and some brain matter came out but it was still breathing so it got another in the neck. I would not do this again, I would use one of my 25s. I would also much prefer to get a side shot and hit it between the eye and the ear. I think the 22 only barely got through the skull and on a bigger raccoon might not have done that.

I agree completely that we need to use a gun that will cleanly take what we shoot at. I have not always as I have discussed but I've learned and adjusted. But especially on large game I think we need to be pretty sure of what we are doing before we do it.

It seems we may be in what I sometimes call "violent agreement" Bedrock Bob. We're saying similar things differently.

What I read suggests that the minimum fpe for large game is not a great measure overestimating the ability of really high speed guns shooting light bullets (223, 22-250) and underestimating the ability of guns shooting large diameter heavy bullets. From that I would be willing to use a 45 caliber airgun at around 500 fpe on deer and may some day. But before I did, I would test penetration of the projectile from the gun for penetration in wet paper. I've done this for decades in both PBs and airguns. I want to have a better idea of what the projectile can do before I shoot an animal with it. I know my 30-06 shooting a simple jacketed hollow point will penetrate about 12 inches of wet newspaper and with a 180 grain Nosler partition it will penetrate about 18 inches. I would want to see about 12 inches for a airgun before trusting it for a body shot on large game. I've shot through a deer with a simple jacketed bullet from my 30-06.

On small game, I use the penetration of my Prod tuned to about 18 fpe as a minimum standard. It arrived at more like 12-13 fpe and I was dissatisfied with performance on squirrels. Since I retuned it the only one I've lost fell into a rotted out area of a large oak. None ran off. I know some use less but I shot a squirrel with a 5 fpe 177 pump up once. I killed it but it didn't die for several days. I broke a front shoulder but the pellet did not reach anything vital. 12 fpe obviously works for the people in England but they seem to hunt a lot over bait at pretty short range which is not even legal in the state I live in. After my negative experience with the Prod on a couple squirrels I hung a dead one on a tree and tried the penetration of multiple projectiles. I tried the same projectiles in wet magazines (easier to get that newspaper these days) so I have a reasonable cross reference. I retired the 5 fpe pump up from squirrel duty.

I also test airgun penetration in dry mdf. I have a test block of 1/4 inch thick pieces spaced about 3/8ths apart that I shoot into. My small gums like the Prod will go through one but not two layers. My ~30 fpe guns will go through 2 but not three layers. My ~45 fpe guns will go through 3 but not 4 layers. I think this test is reasonable for the ability to break through the skull and put a pellet into the brain. I take about half my squirrels this way and even the smaller guns work fine. 12 fpe will too as I see on videos. I took a small raccoon with a 32 fpe 22 pcp but it took three shots. Body shot got it's attention but it would not have died any time soon. A shot between the eyes dropped it and some brain matter came out but it was still breathing so it got another in the neck. I would not do this again, I would use one of my 25s. I would also much prefer to get a side shot and hit it between the eye and the ear. I think the 22 only barely got through the skull and on a bigger raccoon might not have done that.

I agree completely that we need to use a gun that will cleanly take what we shoot at. I have not always as I have discussed but I've learned and adjusted. But especially on large game I think we need to be pretty sure of what we are doing before we do it.

I'm not sure where the violence in agreement comes from. I'm not experiencing any of it.

....the other thread that started all this....

We were talking the price of airguns. I suggested a powderburner at $700 would be a lot more suitable and a much better value for deer or hogs than any $3000 airgun. I was correct. That disturbed some guys.

Then it went off the rails. Some became defensive when I said most were overestimating their guns capabilities. Again I was correct. Again there was angst.

Then I was politely asked to stop posting off topic. So I did. The discussion had obviously run its course and I fully acknowledge that.

You interpreted my post as a hit against hunting with airguns. It wasn't. I just pointed out their obvious limitations and fielded some preposterous claims and comparisons.

You indicated that you disagreed with my post and even started a new thread about it.

But

You haven't disagreed with anything I've actually said. It seems your posts just reinforce it.

I don't see a conflict at all. There is worth in everything you have posted. I respect your input. It's polite, objective and well grounded. I enjoy reading it!

I think it's a discussion that needs to be had here. You may not. Maybe that's where the friction is?

Last edited: