Big game hunting with air guns

If airpower was legal for big game here, I'd likely pick up one version or another of the AIRrow shooting variety. Sharp broadheads are efficient harvesting tools.
That’s probably the best use of an “air gun” for big game hunting. It’s simply a modern crossbow. No doubt it would be a simple and efficient killer.

I shot big fish with a speargun for years. A sling gun with 3 big latex bands with about 60# of force in each. It shot a 1/4" stainless steel shaft about 48" long. The rigged projectile probably weighed 3/4 pound. Incredible kinetic energy.

I always wanted to modify or build one to shoot an arrow above the surface. A weighted one.

They have gas ram spearguns. No good at depth because of the pressure difference. And they generally shoot small bolts. But the same idea as a gas piston air rifle. Similar to the gas piston bolt shooters I see in the ads.

The latex bands are awesome. They produce force over a long stretch. They are slower than a bowstring or an air piston. But they could sling a heavy arrow 200 yards. You can put several bands to produce lots of force.

I've seen several designs similar. Like an atlatl powered by rubber slings. You could hunt mastodon with a weapon like that.

Last edited:
If airpower was legal for big game here, I'd likely pick up one version or another of the AIRrow shooting variety. Sharp broadheads are efficient harvesting tools.
The only thing that would concern me about those things is the noise. I have to allow for a deers reaction to the sound of my bow and it’s very quiet. Crossbows are worse but with the increased speed, I think guys are compensating about the same on an alert or semi alert animal. Now with an air cannon going off, lord knows how a deer will react to that before the bolt, dwarf arrow or whatever they shoot gets there.

I think I understated it slightly. The AEA Zeus in 72 caliber is advertised to make as much as 1500 fpe shooting 850 grain slugs at airgun velocities. Seems a bit like using a 12 gauge slug gun. I have a rifled barrel for sabot slugs for my Mossberg but I've never killed anything with it. I could just about insert my pinkie in the hollow point.

Reactions: Bedrock Bob
I think I understated it slightly. The AEA Zeus in 72 caliber is advertised to make as much as 1500 fpe shooting 850 grain slugs at airgun velocities. Seems a bit like using a 12 gauge slug gun. I have a rifled barrel for sabot slugs for my Mossberg but I've never killed anything with it. I could just about insert my pinkie in the hollow point.

That is crazy! A 72cal air rifle?

It kinda brings us full circle dosent it? The observations that a PCP airgun bridges the gap between a powderburner and an air rifle?

From my perspective once an air rifle gets much more powerful than a rimfire it is no longer of interest. It's outclassed by a centerfire rifle and looses it's appeal for me.

I love to hear about those big air rifles. I've learned a lot about them on this thread. I honestly didn't know how powerful they could be before this conversation.

The overlap between an airgun and a rimfire is a sweet spot. It's really where a PCP shines. Anything more and it just ceases to make much sense to me.

I'd love to get one in 22 and shoot some squirrel in the fall. Or collared dove. Ground squirrels. Maybe go down to Florida and shoot some iguanas. That to me is what a PCP is perfect for.

Last edited:
At least for now my 177, 22, and 25 caliber airguns for small game are all I have and want. When I was talking about a 45 caliber with 500 fpe I was thinking of the Crossman bulldog in 45 caliber. I just looked it up and it's actually only rated 450 fpe but users report shooting through the shoulder and out the other side of deer at 50 yards. I don't know the size of that deer but that is the kind of performance I would want. Airforce Texans can give more. But none can give you more than a few full power shots. Shouldn't need more hunting but having to refill a lot to get them sighted in would be a hassle. I could not play with them reasonably in my back yard either. I've been on the range with Texans and unsuppressed they are about as loud as a powder burner. If I hunt deer again it would make more sense to take out my 30-06 or even my Mossberg with it's slug barrel. I already have them and I know they have enough power.

I use the '06 for everything now. Super versatile. I use little 125 gr. for everything except elk and oryx. Mild recoil, plenty of power and great accuracy out to 250. I don't shoot farther than 150 yards or so on deer but the gun will sure do it if I need it to.

A 165 nosler for elk and oryx. I limit those shots to 250 also. At least I try. So far my farthest shot was 275 on a bull oryx. If I can't hunt one closer than that I'll usually pass. There is always a bigger one just over the hill.

There is a spot here with hundreds of round tailed ground squirrels. I'm going to go out with the springer and see how it kills. We have problems with grackles in the nut orchards here too. I plan on knocking a few of them down. I might have to get a PCP in 22 or 25 but for now I'm happy.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
@Bedrock Bob, your point that the majority would be better served by a powder burner over a “big bore” airgun when hunting big game is valid and irrefutable. Some unique individuals can and do make it work, but they are in the minority. I feel highly confident in my ability with my airguns at practical ranges on small game. Simply love the capabilities of the guns. That said, if I were chasing big game? A powder burner, no mental gymnastics necessary… It’s the “belaboring” of your well put subject that may be causing unnecessary contention…🙏

@Bedrock Bob, your point that the majority would be better served by a powder burner over a “big bore” airgun when hunting big game is valid and irrefutable. Some unique individuals can and do make it work, but they are in the minority. I feel highly confident in my ability with my airguns at practical ranges on small game. Simply love the capabilities of the guns. That said, if I were chasing big game? A powder burner, no mental gymnastics necessary… It’s the “belaboring” of your well put subject that may be causing unnecessary contention…🙏

I don't see any contention. Just one guy who wants to be a contender.

I'm just keeping him busy here on this boring thread so he dosent troll my comments on other threads.

As long as you feed him he will eat. I guess I got carried away with the oats. My sincere apologies!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Hal4son and L.Leon
It is amazing that such an air cannon exists. Out of curiosity, I was going to plug some numbers into a ballistic calculator to see what kind of holdovers 850 gr @ 950 fps require. Except I can't find an 850 gr slug for sale or a listed BC for that 2 oz lead sled of a slug.

Oddly weird that I'm disappointed that it's a ridiculously heavy projectile to get 1500 fpe at subsonic velocities. For a moment I thought there was an air rifle equivalent to my 45-70.

Reactions: Bedrock Bob
It is amazing that such an air cannon exists. Out of curiosity, I was going to plug some numbers into a ballistic calculator to see what kind of holdovers 850 gr @ 950 fps require. Except I can't find an 850 gr slug for sale or a listed BC for that 2 oz lead sled of a slug.

Oddly weird that I'm disappointed that it's a ridiculously heavy projectile to get 1500 fpe at subsonic velocities. For a moment I thought there was an air rifle equivalent to my 45-70.

It's crazy. It's almost twice the size of a 45-70 going better than half the speed.

Slow enough you can see it coming. Fast enough you can't do anything about it.

At 100 yards you would be dropping in at a really steep angle. Like a meteorite impact.

If you dropped one on you toe loading the gun It might take it off!

... airgun ... bow... rifle .. they are all build around a hobby that people like.. they all can kill deer and elk size game. Some take more skill than others and we as hunters try to find a way to make each and every shot count. I have lost deer with all 3 poop happens. I have taken more deer with an airgun then almost anyone i know of but I spend the time to lean the gun pick the right ammo and I make sure I'm at a range I know I'll get a good shot. just like i would with a bow or a rifle. i would hope anyone that hunts would do the same with whatever they use.

( I would say that if your new to airguns then i would start with small game and work your way up to big game.. know your limits and have fun!! )