Air Arms "Blacked out" Prosport complete..

Although the stock hasn't fully cured after the 6th coat of tung oil, it takes like a month.
Anyway, lets start with a picture of the rifle after I took it out of the box, with it's bone dry wood, but it still looked good...
View attachment 477985
Happy camper that day. Since then I've tinkering on it, and have changed pretty much everything from stock form. Quick run through of the changes I did... Stripped all factory lubes, made new spring guide and top hat, relubed with Krytox. I then blued the safety button.
View attachment 477987
Followed by polishing and bluing the stock screws.
View attachment 477988
Then polished out the trigger sears and made washers to help with side to side trigger blade play...View attachment 477990
Next was to replace the gold trigger with a Rowan set back trigger in BLACK.
View attachment 477991
After these mods I had it in my mind to black out the rest of it, so after some work here's what it looks like now...
Compression tube, and cocking arm done.
View attachment 477992
View attachment 477993
View attachment 477994
View attachment 477995
View attachment 477996
View attachment 477999
It's not perfect by my standards, but I'm really pleased with the way it looks now. After reassembly with new Krytox, I shot a 10 shot string over the crony with QYS 8.48's it's preferred pellet and got these numbers.
View attachment 477997
Not bad, I'm sure the ES will drop some after I run some shots through and it settles back down.
Or it could just be because I was off handing thru the crony and the angle changed✌🏻
Nice! Auto motive black epoxy primer would hold up well on the cocking arm. Ditzler was the product, don't know if it is still available. I am going to check now. Oh and there is all kinds of product today, like DuPont etc. Update....PPG is the parent company. Looks to be available. This is a 2 part epoxy and when combined properly is the right viscosity to spray, no reduces required.

Last edited:
Great IDEAL to blacken those parts looks nice and stands out.
Parkerizing I would think would be dull finish I've done some of that in the past.
On my pro sport I could cerakote the parts including the trigger blade, so far cerakote has not nailed a deep blue finish so your left with several choices of black

Great IDEAL to blacken those parts looks nice and stands out.
Parkerizing I would think would be dull finish I've done some of that in the past.
On my pro sport I could cerakote the parts including the trigger blade, so far cerakote has not nailed a deep blue finish so your left with several choices of black
I would've had them anodized if I had a place close by that could do it. Also the thickness of the coating comes into play because there's only a few thousandths of room between the stock and the cocking arm, mine isn't centered perfect and it's really close to one side. How thick is that cerokote?

Typical application is between 1/2 and 1 mil which is a one thousand of a inch / others say one to two mill or two thou for application
Yeah I noticed those cocking arms are not centered which is understandable, one guy did a video on you tube showing his UK Custom stock for his aa pro sport and he was having a fit over the cocking arm not being in dead center lol

Typical application is between 1/2 and 1 mil which is a one thousand of a inch / others say one to two mill or two thou for application
Yeah I noticed those cocking arms are not centered which is understandable, one guy did a video on you tube showing his UK Custom stock for his aa pro sport and he was having a fit over the cocking arm not being in dead center lol
1 millimeter is .0394" almost 40 thousandth.
.1 is .0039" almost 4 thousandth
.01 is .00039" almost a 1/2 thousandth.
.001 a micron is .000039 or 39 millionths

Yeah I tried shimming one side with some small shim, but that didn't pan out. I'm still thinking about the fix..lol.

Well, lead by the thread title there have been many that expected the OP to have blacked out the stock with bedliner spray.

▪ They all FEARED he might have done so. 😱

▪ All but one barbarian — who HOPED he had done so. 💪🏼

That barbarian would be me. 🤦🏻‍♂️
I just blacked out a Huben GK1, golden pressure gauge and wood grip and all.
You can stone me now. 😞

Sorry, couldn't help myself to respond to this thread. 😉
It's just so mind boggling to look over the wall of my small section of the airgun world and see such wildly differing tastes and preferences....!

➠ It's nice that we all have space to be together in this amazing airguniverse. 🫂

Matthias

Last edited:
1 millimeter is .0394" almost 40 thousandth.
.1 is .0039" almost 4 thousandth
.01 is .00039" almost a 1/2 thousandth.
.001 a micron is .000039 or 39 millionths

Yeah I tried shimming one side with some small shim, but that didn't pan out. I'm still thinking about the fix..lol.
1 mil is not a millimeter. Mil is not "short for millimeter". And it is .001"
Cool gun

Reactions: bustachip
Although the stock hasn't fully cured after the 6th coat of tung oil, it takes like a month.
Anyway, lets start with a picture of the rifle after I took it out of the box, with it's bone dry wood, but it still looked good...
View attachment 477985
Happy camper that day. Since then I've tinkering on it, and have changed pretty much everything from stock form. Quick run through of the changes I did... Stripped all factory lubes, made new spring guide and top hat, relubed with Krytox. I then blued the safety button.
View attachment 477987
Followed by polishing and bluing the stock screws.
View attachment 477988
Then polished out the trigger sears and made washers to help with side to side trigger blade play...View attachment 477990
Next was to replace the gold trigger with a Rowan set back trigger in BLACK.
View attachment 477991
After these mods I had it in my mind to black out the rest of it, so after some work here's what it looks like now...
Compression tube, and cocking arm done.
View attachment 477992
View attachment 477993
View attachment 477994
View attachment 477995
View attachment 477996
View attachment 477999
It's not perfect by my standards, but I'm really pleased with the way it looks now. After reassembly with new Krytox, I shot a 10 shot string over the crony with QYS 8.48's it's preferred pellet and got these numbers.
View attachment 477997
Not bad, I'm sure the ES will drop some after I run some shots through and it settles back down.
Or it could just be because I was off handing thru the crony and the angle changed✌🏻
Impressive work. WOW.

Reactions: bustachip