Bluebook Value for used Airguns

Yes. Matter of fact I've been contributing not only information and photos for an updated edition of the Blue Book of Airgun Values after 3-4 years elapsed since the last edition, but as of yesterday, also an article on the state of airgunning and airgun collecting. The new print and online editions are now imminent; available probably within a month or two.

Imagine what a huge undertaking it was to produce an updated edition, considering all the new airguns introduced in the last 3 years. I swear Author/Editor Lisa Beuning is a human perpetual-motion machine! Many have been the times I'd log off at my usual 1-2 AM, only to find emails in my inbox the next morning that she'd sent long after I'd CRASHED. In fact that's still happening as she/we work to meet deadlines.

The new BBoAV should be well worth the wait.

Resale of air guns is dependent upon consumer demand, the facets of which in the air gun world are constantly changing. A Bluebook for springers and pcp's would be extremely difficult to keep updated!

Considerations:

1) Consumer demand/lack of demand for a specific brand/model

2) Cosmetic condition, wood/metal

3) Air gun age, and buyer demand for that specific model

4) Caliber-fps/fpe...current, desirable, or obsolete

5) Mechanical condition...Poor to Excellent (...and by whose determination?)

6) Availability of rebuild/repair parts

7) Mfgr. still in business

8) Realistic market pricing of gun's worth

9) Single shot, semi, or full auto

10) Heavily modified or OEM

11) 2020 market influx of Eastern Europe and Asian air guns, some very high quality and high priced, some very high quality and low priced, some usable only as jack handles for changing tires!

Your best bet on sales price of a given gun is to watch the "Classified" ads and see what the day's market value is for a specific gun. Be cautious of posting a "WTB" or soliciting a specific gun to buy, the scammers are legion in number and recourse to get a refund is near non-existent. 

A current "Bluebook" should get you in the ballpark, but remember it's someone's opinion based on available data. Buyers and Sellers have vastly different thoughts on a used gun's real-time dollar value.

If you are buying watch the Classifieds several times a day...good guns sell quick! If you are selling, find a similar gun for sale and price yours $50 cheaper, CONUS only, shipping fees extra, Paypal F&F, cashiers check, or domestic money order.

That's my advice based on experience. Your mileage may vary, and further input respectfully appreciated.

Kindly 'Ol Uncle Hoot

Resale of air guns is dependent upon consumer demand, the facets of which in the air gun world are constantly changing. A Bluebook for springers and pcp's would be extremely difficult to keep updated!

Considerations:

1) Consumer demand/lack of demand for a specific brand/model

2) Cosmetic condition, wood/metal

3) Air gun age, and buyer demand for that specific model

4) Caliber-fps/fpe...current, desirable, or obsolete

5) Mechanical condition...Poor to Excellent (...and by whose determination?)

6) Availability of rebuild/repair parts

7) Mfgr. still in business

8) Realistic market pricing of gun's worth

9) Single shot, semi, or full auto

10) Heavily modified or OEM

11) 2020 market influx of Eastern Europe and Asian air guns, some very high quality and high priced, some very high quality and low priced, some usable only as jack handles for changing tires!

Your best bet on sales price of a given gun is to watch the "Classified" ads and see what the day's market value is for a specific gun. Be cautious of posting a "WTB" or soliciting a specific gun to buy, the scammers are legion in number and recourse to get a refund is near non-existent. 

A current "Bluebook" should get you in the ballpark, but remember it's someone's opinion based on available data. Buyers and Sellers have vastly different thoughts on a used gun's real-time dollar value.

If you are buying watch the Classifieds several times a day...good guns sell quick! If you are selling, find a similar gun for sale and price yours $50 cheaper, CONUS only, shipping fees extra, Paypal F&F, cashiers check, or domestic money order.

That's my advice based on experience. Your mileage may vary, and further input respectfully appreciated.

Kindly 'Ol Uncle Hoot

This can be said about every consumer item. Cars, boats, motorcycles, stereos, toys, etc

Y'all all make good points... most of which were considered, discussed and/or fretted over by those charged with bringing out an updated new edition Blue Book Of Airgun Values. And all of which reinforce my feeling that I, many other contributors (including Tom Gaylord), and the new BBoA staff hit the nail as squarely on the head as possible for such a challenging undertaking. The easy alternative would have been to NOT attempt a new BBoA.

Agreed, there has probably never been a worse time in Human history to try to assign values in every condition of most every airgun ever produced in Human history. That is addressed in my BB article on the the state of airgunning and airgun collecting.

Also agreed that any printed guide to values of almost anything has limited life-span for pricing accuracy, especially in CrazyWorld 2020. Nevertheless, and as also addressed in my BB article, the BBoA will be a much more reliable and realistic source for values than what SO many folks use; that being looking at asking prices on Ebay (or similar), while over-looking the fact that a large majority of those auctions never receive a bid... much less sell. Again, addressed in my article.

Agreed again that the BB... any BB, from the BB of Firearms Values, to the BB of Airgun Values, to the BB of Guitar Values, is not only the best value guide(s) available, but most interesting references for other details like specs, production dating, photos, etc. THOUSANDS of airgun models staring you in the face, the huge majority of which you've never even heard of! 

I make that last statement in confidence, largely due to the fact that with over 60 years of obsessive airgunning under my belt including 30 years of collecting, dozens of titles and records, and five books on the subjects, I myself had never heard of about half the airguns listed... in the previous edition printed 3-4 years ago!

Lastly, the BBoA is also available as an online subscription, which does get updated regularly! 

Sorry I'm only vaguely familiar with BB pricing. But I'll nevertheless declare either print, online, or both versions absolute bargains for anyone into airguns. I venture to opine that's a huge majority of airgunners that visit AGN.

Was I the individual responsible for marketing it, I wouldn't hesitate to give the BBoA the same money-back satisfaction guarantee I've always offered on my five books. But I'm not that individual; so don't misconstrue that statement as a bonafide guarantee.

As should be obvious to anyone that knows me pretty well, I'm not the most sane individual on the planet!

AirNGasman

Your endeavor sure sounds like a great deal of work by many dedicated people.

Thanks to each of you for undertaking it.

Tell me please!

When the new edition of Blue Book of Airgun Values is finally ready and in print (digitally & hard copy), will there be an opportunity to view sample pages & entries?

If so what is the web address, please?

FWIW

My imagination likens the entries to those in the NADA Guide for Sailboats; listing more than simply value, but also indicating specifications.

Will that be the case with the Blue Book of Airgun Values?

Thanks

Ed

Good question. I have a Kindle and read on it almost exclusively. I like that it doesn't take up any room, is so easily portable, and that you can download a free sample, which is usually 10% of the book or effectively less, if there are a lot of pictures or extended prefaces or introductions. But it generally gives you an idea as to the quality of writing and information, as well as formatting and correct information, e.g., whether or not you have misplaced pages or paragraphs, etc.

With so many questions, I'm going to try to address them succinctly and to the best of knowledge.

"Will there be an opportunity to view sample pages & entries?" Not to my knowledge. "If so what is the web address, please?" Don't know; try the Google lever on the internet machine.

"My imagination likens the entries to those in the NADA Guide for Sailboats; listing more than simply value, but also indicating specifications. Will that be the case with the Blue Book of Airgun Values?" Yes, exactly.

"I have a Kindle and... you can download a free sample, which is usually 10% of the book or effectively less." I don't know.