Bought a cheap Chinese B1 Air Rifle.

Wow... Am I ever glad that I just now happened upon the term "spring scragging" before I cut two inches off of the brand new spring I bought for the neighbor's B3! There are a lot of YouTube videos that set me down the wrong path - Fortunately I did one last bit of due diligence before cranking up the hacksaw!

But I am wondering whether I really want to crank up 400+ pounds on a (Chinese!!!) spring using a hunk of threaded rod from Home Depot. Time to get out the old McMaster-Carr catalog. Full face shield and heavy leather gauntlets for this trick. I'm wondering whether it's possible that if the spring breaks during scragging it might shatter into fragments that fly all over the place. I think I'll sleeve it with some plastic hose before I start.

The hacksaw method is starting to look mighty appealing.
I ordered a spring from Vortek
Just give them the wire diameter and the number of coils. And they make it.
Mine worked good without needing modification.
Now it did cost me about $35.00 shipped.
But if you have to buy a bunch of components to “scragg” your spring.
Buying from Vortek may be a simpler option. And you are getting a spring specifically made for air rifles.

I ordered a spring from Vortek
Just give them the wire diameter and the number of coils. And they make it.
Mine worked good without needing modification.
Now it did cost me about $35.00 shipped.
But if you have to buy a bunch of components to “scragg” your spring.
Buying from Vortek may be a simpler option. And you are getting a spring specifically made for air rifles.

For me 99% of the fun is in doing it myself. I'm also on my second B3 ressurection-from-the-trash-heap, and there may be more... I already built a spring compressor for the B3, and figured out a dandy metal spring guide replacement for the factory ABS guide.

I have safety gear and a kevlar blanket for catching flak - I certainly don't recommend that other folks risk life-and-limb to save $20!

There is a Ebay seller that has Breech and piston seals for both the B3 and B2 and B1 Chinese rifles .
They have a piston update kit for the B2 and B1 that have the old leather seals in them so if your looking to get rid of that obsolete leather seal this kit is a factory update . .....Just thought u all may need this infor . All there parts are FACTORY replacements .
Happy shooting

Reactions: bf1956