Bound to Happen

Regardless of how cheap or expensive your airgun is, they can, will and do break.
Yesterday i got to learn something new about the PCP foster fill fittings. Two types, one uses a spring to seat the shuttle valve the other doesn't.
Anyhoots, when the shuttle valve fails, your gun will degas at the airtube. In my case the grub which held the shuttle valve in place actually came out and was inside the airtube with the shuttle valve.

Easy fix. always keep dowty washers handy and some patience. Helps to have some non marring nylon pliers too for grabbing air tubes or shrouds around barrels.
the fix was simple in my case, clean the shuttle, some proper oring lube, cinch the grub down proper and put a new dowty washer on the Foster QD and reinstall in the barrel.

I recommend airgunners visit Best Fittings in the U.K. for getting some proper spare parts

top picture is used in a Thomas
bottom picture is used in Air Arms platforms - usually as an upgrade.
IMG_8228.jpeg

1727108700238.png

Last edited:
I am not able to relax if i have no spares.
I am hoping tomorrow to pick up a spare HUMA reg for the Two and 2 X repair kit for that regulator.
Also a install /adjustment tool for said regulator as otherwise it is a PITA to deal with as i have learned in the past few months.

Needless to say i also have a few male / female foster fittings ready to go in case of a break down.

Since Brexit, best fittings is the only UK place i have shopped, before i use to shop a lot over there for various things.

Reactions: cavedweller
Yup. On the non spring loaded ones (say Crosman) this is the safest way to degas, just fill/overfill (slightly) enough to open the valve then BARLEY crack the bleed valve on your fill unit and let drain. Naturally always double check to e sure all air emptied before disassembly of pressure vessel.
Wish I could find a good 8mm straight thread with dowty washer somewhere. Seems a bit of an odd size.

John

Reactions: Dairyboy
Yup. On the non spring loaded ones (say Crosman) this is the safest way to degas, just fill/overfill (slightly) enough to open the valve then BARLEY crack the bleed valve on your fill unit and let drain. Naturally always double check to e sure all air emptied before disassembly of pressure vessel.
Wish I could find a good 8mm straight thread with dowty washer somewhere. Seems a bit of an odd size.

John
is crosman NPT as opposed to BSP ? @Airgun-Revisions

Reactions: Danmilo
The Reximex built guns are BSP. Crosman/Benjamin pcp are NPT on the foster. The gauge on Crosman/Benjamin depends on when it was made. Originally NPT but we changed that to BSP when the 2021 Challenger was designed. The only NPT gauge that wasn’t changed over was the Bulldog’s.
Thanks Rich! I probably need a spare... Do the challengers fill adapters have a spring inside or ?