Brand new to PCP rifles - take it easy pleasešŸ˜

Welcome to a very valuable and knowledge filled forum. They have everyone from the Pro's to some really helpful Joe's on here .Congrats on the pronghorn and the pcp haha. Penrose as in near Little River/ DuPont area or there abouts ? I used to trout fish out in the area years ago haha.

Teesquare there is an airgun show that happens once a year this weekend ( Friday and Saturday ) up in Hickory NC . Probabley a couple hours or a little more from your area. Quite a few of the guys from the forums and a few dealers will be there. It is a great place to find some good deals at times just so you are aware. It is pretty much the only thing that happens semi local around here where you can get your hands on the plethora of airguns and check out the classics as well.

Just wanted you to have the heads up incase you were interested .

:coffee:
Welll- timing is not my best suite. I am hosting a world famous eoodturner and carver this weekend. He is demonstrating his techniques at the Folk Art Center. Otherwise I would definitely be at the Airgun Show. I do live on Jeter Mtn. Overlooking the Little River Valley- and guide a few corp. groups of fishermen a year. Fun to see them catching trout and having the time of their livesšŸ˜Š.
Are their any other airgun shows in the Carolinas or TN that you know of?
Thank you for the thoughtful response-
T

Welcome! I recently joined AGN earlier this year or maybe last year now, idk. It's a great community as others have already mentioned. You can always expect an honest answer to your question and find help when you're in a pickle.
Not like other forums that have been around for so long the only response is "Did you try the search bar and the stickies first?"

Have fun! Hopefully your wallet doesn't start straining too much, you can really go down the rabbit hole and buy lots of cool stuff that you don't necessarily need šŸ˜¬
I noticed the tone of responses to a lot of posts- and knew I was in the right place.
Between woodturning, trout fishing, highpower center fire guns and now PCP air gunsā€¦ā€¦ well- I will be o.k. as long as I have 1 good kidney- right?šŸ¤£
T

Reactions: john8
Welcome aboard! What a great time for you to "catch the bug"! The options available to you can be overwhelming but this is a site overwhelmingly populated by kind, generous & knowledgeable people. The learning curve can be steep but there's no better place to be for answers. Welcome again.
BTW, there are a ton of important posts on Avengers and compressor care, maintenance & operation here. Never underestimate High Pressure Air. Be safe & Happy learning!
Much appreciate the point in right direction re: Avengers and compressors- and safety for sure!
Yep- there are lots of things made to attract wallet- and nice folks here to advise pre- spendingšŸ˜‰šŸ˜

Reactions: Gerry52
Welcome!
Congrats on your antelope! I haven't seen this mentioned yet, when filling go slow, but bleed pressure from the fill hose fast. Pellet guns can be ammo picky. Try different brands- JSB and H&N make good ammo. Domes are usually the most accurate profile.
Have fun!
John
Thanks for the congrats AND the tips on filling/pressure bleed and pellets. All of this is great info for a brand new owner!
T

You may also want to visit Gateway to Airguns. This website seems more popular these days but there is a lot of information there too. Including get togethers by state for airgunners. There is one I have been to a couple times near Lake Marion. Just a fun chance to shoot your gun with others who enjoy the same thing. Many have been doing it for decades. Suggestions are readily available but you pretty much need to ask, they aren't pushy.

I have a 25 caliber Avenger and I like it but shoot it the least of my 5 airguns. It is just so LONG. My favorites are P35s which are under 30 inches long with similar capabilities (although much harder to change the regulator on a P35). But my Avenger is accurate and it tuned to the highest power (about 42 fpe - could go higher). It is probably tuned too high in velocity with the FX 25.39 grains it likes - about 930 fps. My other guns are all tuned to shoot no higher than 900 fps. I will probably turn it down - or I might just switch to 33.95 grain JSBs. It is my only gun which really prefers JSBs. The others prefer H&Ns. For a light H&N, I like Field, Target, Trophy. For a heavier one, I like Baracuda Match (regular Baracudas are cheaper and OK, they are just a little less consistent in weight and head size). I've mentioned the JSB sizes in 25. In 22s they have more variety.

I love using my PCPs for squirrels. You DO NOT need an expanding pellet or slug. I've only taken 9 so far with my P35-177 but it works fine with 10.65 grain Baracuda Match (body or brain). The P35-22 and P35-25 are even more devastating as is the Avenger. If you put a pellet into the vitals, they die very quickly (typically just fold up and drop with the larger calibers - might take a few steps after a 177 hit). Actually I think a couple I hit in the front of the chest with the P35-25 ran the most. The pellet stopped under the skin behind a back leg - it went completely through them - but they ran a dozen steps or so. They die quicker with a brain shot or a shoulder shot through the lungs. The other 16 taken with the P35-25 just folded up and dropped. Still several months of squirrel season left.

Reactions: teesquare
You may also want to visit Gateway to Airguns. This website seems more popular these days but there is a lot of information there too. Including get togethers by state for airgunners. There is one I have been to a couple times near Lake Marion. Just a fun chance to shoot your gun with others who enjoy the same thing. Many have been doing it for decades. Suggestions are readily available but you pretty much need to ask, they aren't pushy.

I have a 25 caliber Avenger and I like it but shoot it the least of my 5 airguns. It is just so LONG. My favorites are P35s which are under 30 inches long with similar capabilities (although much harder to change the regulator on a P35). But my Avenger is accurate and it tuned to the highest power (about 42 fpe - could go higher). It is probably tuned too high in velocity with the FX 25.39 grains it likes - about 930 fps. My other guns are all tuned to shoot no higher than 900 fps. I will probably turn it down - or I might just switch to 33.95 grain JSBs. It is my only gun which really prefers JSBs. The others prefer H&Ns. For a light H&N, I like Field, Target, Trophy. For a heavier one, I like Baracuda Match (regular Baracudas are cheaper and OK, they are just a little less consistent in weight and head size). I've mentioned the JSB sizes in 25. In 22s they have more variety.

I love using my PCPs for squirrels. You DO NOT need an expanding pellet or slug. I've only taken 9 so far with my P35-177 but it works fine with 10.65 grain Baracuda Match (body or brain). The P35-22 and P35-25 are even more devastating as is the Avenger. If you put a pellet into the vitals, they die very quickly (typically just fold up and drop with the larger calibers - might take a few steps after a 177 hit). Actually I think a couple I hit in the front of the chest with the P35-25 ran the most. The pellet stopped under the skin behind a back leg - it went completely through them - but they ran a dozen steps or so. They die quicker with a brain shot or a shoulder shot through the lungs. The other 16 taken with the P35-25 just folded up and dropped. Still several months of squirrel season left.
LOTS of data points! Thanks. Will make notes on your advise and try some different pellets to find a fit.
Thanks
T

Welll- timing is not my best suite. I am hosting a world famous eoodturner and carver this weekend. He is demonstrating his techniques at the Folk Art Center. Otherwise I would definitely be at the Airgun Show. I do live on Jeter Mtn. Overlooking the Little River Valley- and guide a few corp. groups of fishermen a year. Fun to see them catching trout and having the time of their livesšŸ˜Š.
Are their any other airgun shows in the Carolinas or TN that you know of?
Thank you for the thoughtful response-
T
Lol that sounds like a very enjoyable and full schedule . I hope all turns out smooth and to perfection for you Sir. haha ;) No more shows that I am aware of unfortunately.

Reactions: teesquare
Welcome to a great forum!
Lots of helpful folks here, and plenty of humorous comments too.
I started with a .25 Marauder about 6 years ago and remember thinking that Iā€™ll never need anything else!
That changed quickly lol!
I believe that I have gone way way down the rabbit hole.
The accuracy of air guns can be astounding, and you are in for some serious fun!

IMG_3456.jpeg

Welcome teesquare.
To echo what Perle said in post number four regarding compressor portion of airgun shooting. Use the search feature to learn what you can about the compressor you purchased and the best way NOT to abuse it. Lots of good info here on most brands of compressors. Dry air seems controversial here on AGN with some but that will be your decision. Iā€™m in the dry air camp. YMMV.