Break Barrel - need help understanding how to purchase with quiet requirement

Hi, first post. Looking forward to learning more about the sport.

I'm an avid Hand gun and rifle enthusiast, but not when it comes to air guns. I'm looking to purchase my first rifle and I've been watching some YouTube vids to try and understand more about what I could buy.

I like the idea of a break barrel instead of CO2, pumpers or PCP.

What I'm looking for is a rifle that can be used in my backyard. I live in a country setting with no one behind us, but neighbors on both sides, 150 foot lots. I would like to use the rifle for target practice and I want to get a nice, quiet rifle. In addition, I'd like to have something with a fairly good amount of 'FPS', although I know that this is not the only thing to look at. My price range is upwards of $300.

To those points, here's a few that I've watched reviews of online that are interesting to me - all are from Gamo, all are break barrel.

• Swarm Fusion Gen2
  • Swarm Magnum Gen2 Inertia Fed
  • Swarm Maxxim Gen 2

So here's a few questions I have to start off the conversation... thanks in advance!

1. With the type of rifles listed above, is it true that type of pellet material actually matters as related to noise?
  2. Is a 22 cal quieter than a 177 cal because it's heavier?
  3. I've heard that keeping the FPS below the sound barrier is a big part of lowering the noise level.
  4. I'm not sold on only Gamo, it's just the brand that I've seen a lot of reviews on. Other options are welcome for me to consider.
  5. Of course, accuracy is certainly important also - seems to me like all the above choices are pretty close to the same?
  6. What are the variables that would cause me to choose a 177 vs a 22 cal? I know the dimensional differences, but I don't really know why I would choose one over the other.
    [/LIST=1]

Guess that's good for now.

I appreciate any advice.

Wayne

1. Well, this may go against the grain of some air gunners here many of who are into the higher end air guns on the market, as for your requirements, quiet is a subjective word, as is accurate and powerful, subjective only because we are all individuals with different expectations, when it comes to firearms (powder burners) I generally gravitate to higher quality name brand guns.

However when it comes to air rifles I have my requirements also, I shoot in my back yard, generally the range is about 25 yds., for longer ranges I shoot at my gun club on the 100 yd. range, my house lot is 150'x150', and I have neighbors in back and on both sides of me, I and my adault son shoot together several times a week with various types and makes of air rifles together we have one Xisico PCP rifle, three Gamo Swarm rifles, a Benjamin break barrel, a Ruger Impact Max, and a Crossman Vantage break barrel, all have nitro piston power plants, all except for the PCP rifle are under $230.00 price points, a couple cost me under $130.00.

My requirements are that they be back yard and neighbor friendly, that they are accurate enough to shoot quarter sized groups at 25 yds., powerful enough (over 15 FPE) to take small game at reasonable ranges, be easy to cock, have wood stocks and blued metal, my son's guns have polymer stocks, his requirement are the same as mine, and all of our air guns meet or exceed those requirements just fine, they range in caliber from .177 cal., to .20 cal. (5mm), to .22 cal. and .25 cal. 

The expensive European air guns are fantastic in fit, finish, and function, but you don't have to spend $500.00, $1000.00 or more for a decent back yard shooter, in todays market you can buy a less expensive air rifle for much less (some may need a little trigger work) and still get a reasonable quality fun shooter for under $250.00 that you can be happy with when just starting out, when you know you're going to like it you can spend as much or as little as you want to for your next ones, and yes, if you like it there will be more in your future.