Break barrels under $400

What model/brand shoot reasonably level that distance.
Well this one today at 40 yards open sights off hunting sticks 105X .25

20230928_140126~2.jpg

20230928_140046.jpg

Reactions: JDR
I have a couple of Benjamin Trails that are pretty good for my use. I don’t hunt but have a lot of fun plinking in the back yard. At 15 meters both have been card splitters. No idea about fps or fpe but not my primary concerns. I think the Trail would suit your needs as would others.

Rick H.
Forgot about those guns. They are powerhouses. Would benefit from a CharlieDaTuna replacement trigger.

Reactions: Septicdeath
OK just looked up carnivore 30 break barrel, it shoots 590 fps. I can throw a baseball faster than that, only 34 fpe, if you shoot at 10 yards you'll shoot underneath the chipmunk, 15 yards will get him , and 20-25 yards underneath him again, don't think you'll like it, i think the youtube vids show shooting at one distance and still misses. Reason for carnivore is power, you could get a umarex origin and hand pump, and very few pumps will give full power shots, and same energy and power.

OK just looked up carnivore 30 break barrel, it shoots 590 fps. I can throw a baseball faster than that, only 34 fpe, if you shoot at 10 yards you'll shoot underneath the chipmunk, 15 yards will get him , and 20-25 yards underneath him again, don't think you'll like it, i think the youtube vids show shooting at one distance and still misses. Reason for carnivore is power, you could get a umarex origin and hand pump, and very few pumps will give full power shots, and same energy and power.
Ya right. I'd love to see you throw a baseball at 402.27273 Miles per Hour. lol
I use my .30 several times each year for rockchucks, or rabbit. Have also busted several raccoons with it. All where taken at 40 yards most times less.

The main thing is knowing the capabilities of your gun, no matter what make or model it happens to be

Reactions: Just Zack 2
Ya right. I'd love to see you throw a baseball at 402.27273 Miles per Hour. lol
I use my .30 several times each year for rockchucks, or rabbit. Have also busted several raccoons with it. All where taken at 40 yards most times less.

The main thing is knowing the capabilities of your gun, no matter what make or model it happens to be
Damn your calculator

I've got one and I think 40 yards would be it's absolute maximum range for hunting. Actual velocity of mine is 550 fps. With it sighted in at 35 yards it has a hold under of 1.25" at 20 yards and a holdover of 1" at 40 yards. Past 40 yards though it starts to drop off fast.

It's a fun plinker. I like to shoot hanging targets with it as it really knocks them for a loop.

I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying one based on my own experience. I've had it for several years and it's been trouble free. Just know what it is you're buying. It's a low priced powerhouse with a lot of well thought out features, but it was built to a low price point and it has all the downsides of a high powered spring gun and Hatsan isn't well regarded for quality. If you enjoy shooting super magnum springers and you don't mind tinkering with them then you'll probably like it.

If you're looking for a first airgun and you're attracted to the Hatsan based on the power and the price, then get something else. There are just way better guns out there for hunting. Yes, you can hunt with it and it's got more than enough power, but an entry level PCP will outperform it in virtually every way for the same cost.

Reactions: Rawroots
Last edited: