BRK Ghost Review

Thanks for your informative reply. My only tuning experience has been with the Impact MKII, hence my question about going 10% or so over max fps and then backing off the hammer spring. My Ghost (.25cal) came with the reg set about 145-150bar. I noticed with my 33gr pellets that there wasn't much velocity change between Min and Max. with the red hammer spring from the BRK kit. It wasn't until I upped the reg pressure that I began to see a difference in the Min and Max settings. For whatever reason I've always shied away from running higher reg pressures, although they are always recommended in the forums. I guess I'll just have to change my way of thinking and find out what it likes. Maybe a change to a lighter hammer somewhere down the road will allow me to run a lower reg pressure for increased shot count. I'm sure someone will be making them eventually.

That lighter hammer isn't ideal for heavy projectiles, like the .25/34gr pellets you cite. I'd only recommend this lighter hammer for something like 35fpe and down

As an example, I've been playing with a .22 OEM Ghost HP barrel and it NEEDS the heavier (standard) hammer to get the desired oomph out of the pellets I'm shooting.

Been running the new JSB Grands @ 960-965, reg pressure of 150 bar. Shot this a few mornings ago, 100 yards. 233 but might be more like a 231-232 upon closer inspection (always guessing at how they'd "plug" for scoring). Dumb starling landed in the field at around 75yards about halfway through the card. That 60fpe mangled him up pretty good-broke wings coming and going. I do believe it was PLENTY of fpe.

PXL_20240619_150210703.jpg

Have shot as high as a 238 with this combination, but over the last few months, averaging more like 230-234.

Reactions: Corvid_hunter
That lighter hammer isn't ideal for heavy projectiles, like the .25/34gr pellets you cite. I'd only recommend this lighter hammer for something like 35fpe and down

As an example, I've been playing with a .22 OEM Ghost HP barrel and it NEEDS the heavier (standard) hammer to get the desired oomph out of the pellets I'm shooting.

Been running the new JSB Grands @ 960-965, reg pressure of 150 bar. Shot this a few mornings ago, 100 yards. 233 but might be more like a 231-232 upon closer inspection (always guessing at how they'd "plug" for scoring). Dumb starling landed in the field at around 75yards about halfway through the card. That 60fpe mangled him up pretty good-broke wings coming and going. I do believe it was PLENTY of fpe.

View attachment 474145

Have shot as high as a 238 with this combination, but over the last few months, averaging more like 230-234.
Thanks. I think the Ghost prefers pellet speeds over 900fps for accuracy which is also counter intuitive based on the usual 850-890fps for optimal accuracy.

@Franklink i buy a digital manometer 1/8 BSP in BAR for my BRK Ghost, to replace the regulator manometer.
when i want to change, the digital manometer screw is slightly bigger, and i dont want to force when installed it.

do you know what is the correct thread size of digital manometer for ghost ?
size M10 or 1/8 BSP ?

The analog wika's that I ordered that fit my Ghost were listed as 1/8 bsp.

Reactions: Aristovertex
Some Ghost updates....

Competition
I used a 23inch .22 barrel in the Ghost for the benchrest portion of the recent Extreme Field Target Grand Prix in Williams, AZ a few weeks ago. This was a combined benchrest/high power ft event. One of the cards I shot from the Ghost was a 211 and the second was a 218, for a total of 429. The highest single card was shot by @5Power, a 228 (also shot by a Ghost). And the 1st place for the two card aggregate was always-tough-to-beat, John Bagakis, with a 439. My 429 put in in 7th place for the EBR portion of the event, and that score, coupled with 1st place in the extreme field target portion (shot with a different gun) got me a paycheck for 3rd overall for the weekend (2x100 yard EBR cards + score from the EFT course x2 days).

From the .22 Ghost I used the .22 Grands @ 960-965fps. Reg was set at 150bar, power wheel on MAX. Barrel is 1:30 twist, choked, and one of the variations of OEM Ghost barrels. Something to be said of home court advantage b/c with that setup I'm averaging 100 yard EBR scores in the 230 area in my back yard where I have a better grasp of the wind. To get that tune I need the 0.051" wire hammer spring, and the current production (heavier) hammer. It maxes out at 980fps with the 28.55gr Grands and a reg pressure of 165bar, but is just as accurate at 960-965 and lower reg pressure.

Fun
A few days ago I had some family in town and asked this brother in law if he was interested in some prairie dog shooting. He enthusiastically said yes. He has some experience shooting, but not a lot, and certainly none behind a high magnification scope and a highly precise gun like a modern high-end PCP. So I mentally went through my options for him....and settled on the Taipan Veteran, mostly because it has magazines and because I thought the simple 20x fixed power scope would simplify that aspect. So the Vet got placed in his hands first. He STRUGGLED to get in the eyebox of that scope for the first 15-20 minutes. At that point I had him try the Ghost with the .20 barrel and slugs and explained that he would have to single feed them. We turned the scope mag down to 6x and he started dropping dogs! After the first 8-10 shots he had it figured out and was quickly asking me to range specific dogs for him so that he could reference the dope sheet taped to the bottle. From that point on he was self-sufficient. We spent a couple hours, killing 40-50 and enjoying the heck out of ourselves. His farthest was a 154 yarder and he got it on the second shot. Those .20/18.9grain slugs are amazing. He eventually used up the 80ish slugs I had brought and we swapped over to the .20/15.89 JSB pellets and I told him to use the other column on the dope sheet. No prob, he was killing dogs with the pellets just as readily. He kept commenting how cool the Ghost is and how much fun he was having and how he had no idea airguns were capable of this. It was fun to see somebody experience the fun for the first time.

Later that evening we were all hanging out in my backyard and he was telling his 16 year old son about earlier. I asked 16 year old nephew if he'd like to shoot the Ghost....and got another enthusiastic yes. So, out comes the .20 Ghost and the slugs. He proceeded to spend about 40 minutes working over my steel paddles. I've got them from 40-90 yards in 10 yard increments, and then some more at 130 yards. Initially he was yanking the trigger but I talked him through that and he started to connect. His best was connecting on the 2.5" paddle at 130 yards on the 3rd shot. He was also pretty impressed by the whole experience.

Overall it was fun to witness the joy of sending accurate projectiles out of an airgun for the first time. They definitely got to jump straight to the champagne version of airgunning, bypassing all the budget guns and springers and going straight to the good stuff.

Received my Ghost .22 Plus yesterday and am excited to take it out for a test run this weekend. This is my first PCP gun and hope to like airguns. I have many different rifles / guns and have been shooting for over 30 years, but would be nice to have a plinker gun I can shoot at the house.

Not thinking about the gun being a bullpup rifle, it is very backend heavy and surprised me at first but it makes since with what is all located in the rear of the rifle.

I added the 0db moderator, PRS bag rider, extended rail and placed a Arken 4-16x scope on top. Only other option I might choose is to either cut the cocking lever by one notch or to get the PRS cocking lever since it is a little low, but will give the original a run for a few months to see if it gets in the way at all when actually shooting.

Oh and yes I am a lefty and am glad to see BRK truly having an ambidextrous bullpup rifle :)

View attachment 406217

Chad
Can you share info on the tripod and what do you think of shooting off a tripod vs a Benchrest?
Thank you in advance.

My ft ghost is a 177 hp currently with the lightest spring from the kit. Right now it’s set at 120 bar pw 9 for 805 fps with 13 gr jsb.
My other ghost is set for hp 177 28” barrel or 23” 22 or 23” 25

@Solo1
i set my regulator 150 Bar - ZAN .177 16gr, HP original Spring, PW Max. the FPS is 920.. it shoot accurate at 50 mtr, you should try...

@Franklink
Have you try this :

Ghost Barrel Tuner Kit ?

i read it use for Barrel Harmony, and it is good recommended for benchrest competition..

Last edited:
@Solo1
i set my regulator 150 Bar - ZAN .177 16gr, HP original Spring, PW Max. the FPS is 920.. it shoot accurate at 50 mtr, you should try...

@Franklink
Have you try this :

Ghost Barrel Tuner Kit ?

i read it use for Barrel Harmony, and it is good recommended for benchrest competition..

I have not tried the barrel tuner kit.

@Solo1

@Franklink
Have you try this :

Ghost Barrel Tuner Kit ?

Am currently shooting 13 jsb and 15 nsa slugs thru the 28” 177 barrel with good results at 100 yds!

@Franklink
i would like to use Ghost .177 for Benchrest 25mtr, i am using JSB Monster 13.43
what settings should I do, are there any important setting points that I should pay attention to?

That's a pretty broad question.....
A lot depends on the power level allowed for your 25m competitions. And also what barrel you have, and what speeds YOUR specific barrel likes those 13.43s, assuming it likes them at all.

As a maybe point of reference for you....
This past weekend I set my Ghost back up as a 19fpe .177 to be used by a newcomer to field target. I used the 17" 1:17.7 twist, 12 land and groove barrel. So the OEM barrel that a Ghost .177 Carbine comes with. I was using the standard hammer (not my light one) and the 0.047" diameter wire spring. Reg pressure between 105-110bar. And .177/10.34gr pellets. MIN was producing 888-896fps and MAX was producing 916-924fps.

Very consistent since the reg wasn't too high for what I was wanting. You can tell you've got a happy regulator pressure when the hammer wheel doesn't change fps very much. Ghosts seem to be most consistent when "tuned" like this. Higher than necessary reg pressure allows more fps variation with the power wheel, but also seems to create larger extreme spreads. Pros and cons.

I know that's not the pellet you're wanting to use but maybe that can help give you something to compare too.

Last edited:
That's a pretty broad question.....
A lot depends on the power level allowed for your 25m competitions. And also what barrel you have, and what speeds YOUR specific barrel likes those 13.43s, assuming it likes them at all.

As a maybe point of reference for you....
This past weekend I set my Ghost back up as a 19fpe .177 to be used by a newcomer to field target. I used the 17" 1:17.7 twist, 12 land and groove barrel. So the OEM barrel that a Ghost .177 Carbine comes with. I was using the standard hammer (not my light one) and the 0.047" diameter wire spring. Reg pressure between 105-110bar. And .177/10.34gr pellets. MIN was producing 888-896fps and MAX was producing 916-924fps.

Very consistent since the reg wasn't too high for what I was wanting. You can tell you've got a happy regulator pressure when the hammer wheel doesn't change fps very much. Ghosts seem to be most consistent when "tuned" like this. Higher than necessary reg pressure allows more fps variation with the power wheel, but also seems to create larger extreme spreads. Pros and cons.

I know that's not the pellet you're wanting to use but maybe that can help give you something to compare too.

I use OEM 23 inch .177 Ghost High Power barrel

The competition I participated in was an open class,
there are also competitions with certain requirements.

my standart setting is 110 Bar , lighter spring , PW Max, 13.43 JSB, Average 915 fps.

I still don't understand how to find the balance (or harmony) point between regulator pressure and hammer spring.
when I setting and look for the balance point I often find a lot of air waste,
is there any article for me to learn ?

thank you so much franklink for your helpfull information

Last edited:
I use OEM 23 inch .177 Ghost High Power barrel

The competition I participated in was an open class,
there are also competitions with certain requirements.

my standart setting is 110 Bar , lighter spring , PW Max, 13.43 JSB, Average 915 fps.

I still don't understand how to find the balance (or harmony) point between regulator pressure and hammer spring.
when I setting and look for the balance point I often find a lot of air waste,
is there any article for me to learn ?

thank you so much franklink for your helpfull information

I'm not aware of any articles for teaching you how to get the most efficiency out of a tune. As long as your gun is accurate with the pellet you want and it's at the speed you're after, there's not really a wrong way to tune the Ghost.

Another reference point that might be helpful....
Your current settings are pretty similar to what I described a few posts ago, the main difference being that you're using a slightly heavier pellet and a longer barrel, so theoretically you should be able to get a more efficient tune b/c of the longer barrel and heavier pellets. So, I filled my Ghost to 250 bar and it still has 215 bar. The guy that borrowed the gun shot a couple times into the ground from double feeds and/or empty magazines. It was a 48 shot match so he probably shot, 50-55 times. And with a 480cc bottle. So about 1.5shots per bar....it wouldn't be quite linear but should give a general idea....
250bar -110bar = 140bar of usable pressure. 1.5shots per bar would give me something like 200-210shots per fill.

So if you're getting north of 185 shots per fill with the 13.43s @ 915 and also using a 480cc bottle you've got a decently efficient tune.