BSA BSA R10 Mk 2

Any BSA R10 Mk2 owners out there in .22 cal, I have one and would like to know what others have gotten for a shot count. Also anybody tried adjusting the hammer spring tension? Mine had the adjusting screw turned all the way in past the threads. I, very carefully, was able to turn it back out which resulted in a higher shot count and a little more power. Just curious if any other .22 calibers were set the same way when you received the gun. Mine came from AOA and I pretty sure it was nothing that they did, I believe it came that way from the factory. Mine shot count in the beginning was about 35 shots.

Reactions: Rizz01
I ended up at around 850 fps using JSB 18.13 grain @ 30 fpe. Shot count increased to 55-60 shots. Have always liked the look of the gun and I know it’s behind the times when compared to other manufacturers current models but it is the smoothest cocking bolt lever gun that I have ever used.
i say the same thing to me it is one of my best and fav to shoot

Wish more members here with BSA's could be more reactive. Although I don't have the R10 but others I find to be real nice. More traditional in a way if there is such a thing in a recent trend. Like all sporting guns and gear I lean towards the older school of thought. Just some ramblings here...
1000000855.jpg

Here's an interesting method of increasing shot count from another forum.

Reactions: bf1956
Here's an interesting method of increasing shot count from another forum.

Thanks, that was my article. Gun is so much fun to shoot now.

I think the erratic velocity shown in that article could be caused by a faulty regulator. I saw very inconsistent velocities in my R10 and replaced the regulator with one made by Huma. It has been very consistent since then. I didn't take the time to really tune it for shot count though. I think I will have to go back and be more deliberate in my adjustments.

I agree, regulator problem. I put a Huma on it.
I have a R10 Mk2 in .177. It had a leak when I received it, so like a dummy, I kept replacing the easiest oring, then the next, and next. Until I got time to go through and seal the whole thing. Well, after some aggravation I finally got it leak free, only to find it was horribly inconsistent. I was ready to send it down the road, when I thought, it either needed to go, or a new regulator. I decided to install a Huma and wow! it's amazing. I have the small aluminum bottle, and with the Huma set at 130bar, I can shoot 10.3 gr pellets at just a tad over 900fps avg, with a %ES of less than 1.0, for 62 shots. I was more than surprised and pleased. It is accurate like a laser.
I am sooo glad I never gave up on it, it is a fantastic rifle.
If any needs a factory R10 regulator, they can have it free :) :) :) :)

Reactions: bf1956
2.jpg

I´ve actually got two, both of them in 177cal. IMO one of the most beautiful pcp´s out there. Old, as design, these days though and it shows.

At the time power expectations were... different i´d say. Thus i´ve come to mod both mine, the one more extensive than the other. Sure helps to keep heavy machinery at that point :ROFLMAO:
Anyways.
Since H&N came to offer their 20 grain hollow points i´ve come to use them for several of my pcp´s in 177 and can just attest to how well they work.

Net idea here isn´t for a 177cal screamer (already got that covered. Got a home brew spitting them 20´s supersonic @ 1288) but more so tools beautiful to look at intended for dispatch of rats mainly.
Thus i´m all happy with them 20´s in 177cal going out the muzzle at a steady 920-930. Certainly doable. Yes, the install of a Huma is a given in my opinion.

What the R-10 really lacks, apart from being rather "cumbersome" as a build, is basically plenum volume - and this is where the 177 really shines.
As the air transfers from the reg towards the valve chamber there´s a "dud" volume it comes up against before heading towards the valve via i believe it´s 6 small holes (in turn the hole between the chambers is sure on the small side as well).
Well.
What i´ve done, and am about to try, is an "end cap" of sorts instead of that stylished end cap that resides just atop the bottle. Up there, apart from the innards of the transfer block, there yet approx 20mm worth of length to play with.
So.
What´s been done here is open up that passage there, the dud part, to 21mm diameter vs the stock 17mm.. and then i´ve turned an "end cap" of sorts that stretches that entity yet another 20mm. Hands approx 70mm worth of length at 21mm diameter, you do the math.
Thing is, this without breaking the lines of the extremely beautiful R-10. Rest of it remains as is, only thing you´ll notice is that steel end cap (that seals vs the block with an o-ring) that i´ve brazed to an allen bolt - thus getting an air tight seal. O-ring resides on the steel part.

Objective here is for a rat slayer on like 55J or so (40 fpe) that´ll hand that at reasonable reg pressure and hammer spring. Of course there´s more to it than that but you get the general idea at least.
The one in the picture is still on the stock barrel (which is a 16"/400mm job or there abouts?) while the other one sports a barrel on 550mm (21,6")
The latter of course then the stiffer performer why i´m giving thought to that for the one in the picture too.

A couple of benefits rarely touched upon for the 177 is first up its flatter trajectory , using them 20´s, compared to equal weight 22 or 25.
In turn they´re also simpler to get REAL quiet in operation, getting them silent it´s to laugh at at them 55J.
Sounds less than a 10J unit going off.

30.jpg

Here the other one, sporting the 550 barrel, a 28mm dia shroud and home brew can. INSANELY quiet to use.

• Love
Reactions: MongooseV8
Anyone shooting the R10 at around 900 fps? How does it perform?
Read above, albeit 20´s in 177 then.
The barrels on these are reknown for their accuracy, and it ain´t no lie. To be candid though i have to say that it´s semi rare i "give up" on a no-shooter barrel, the quirk is there to be found most of the time.

Anyways. The R-10 running beyond 900.. sure. That being said though it SURE helps adding ANY sorts of plenum volume to it. Just take my word for this, and altho older designs often end up stonewall at like 20-40cc´s:. any volume added helps.
It´s that simple.

I agree, regulator problem. I put a Huma on it.
I have a R10 Mk2 in .177. It had a leak when I received it, so like a dummy, I kept replacing the easiest oring, then the next, and next. Until I got time to go through and seal the whole thing. Well, after some aggravation I finally got it leak free, only to find it was horribly inconsistent. I was ready to send it down the road, when I thought, it either needed to go, or a new regulator. I decided to install a Huma and wow! it's amazing. I have the small aluminum bottle, and with the Huma set at 130bar, I can shoot 10.3 gr pellets at just a tad over 900fps avg, with a %ES of less than 1.0, for 62 shots. I was more than surprised and pleased. It is accurate like a laser.
I am sooo glad I never gave up on it, it is a fantastic rifle.
If any needs a factory R10 regulator, they can have it free :) :) :) :)
You experience is directly the opposite of mine with my own .177 BSA R10 Mk2. I has been superb in every aspect. One of my finest walnut and steel, traditionally styled rifles and a great value at $890 from Airguns of Arizona.

BSA R10 range.jpg

BSA R10 Sparrow Watch.jpg

@ orangeokie.
Uhu. I´m with you.

Might be i stretched it a bit tho.

21.jpg

Plenum. What i came up with is this 25mm/1" job that holds approx 60cc´s. It being as small dia as it is it at least doesn´t r*pe the design all together me thinks. Sure, it´s quite evident the unit has been modified, but then again.. how many are not (pcp´s that is)?

Of course power jumped, almost silly so now to the letter nothing else changed power goal has been arrived on. Brings.. a new power goal :oops:
Duh!
Nah. Point is that i´ve seen to many times what the move to a 2mm dia poppet spindle brings why "No2" here is headed that way. Due power will jump even more.. and if at all possible i sure won´t cry myself to sleep if i can get this thing to 1000fps on the rather short stock barrel.

However.
Tool. Night time hunting

24.jpg

23.jpg

This is where we´re at current. Way larger can, and indeed the thing is about mouse fart silent in operation now. Shoots very flat for the distances involved to me, very little hold over needed - one of the major benefits of 177cal as you get the pills moving more for real me thinks.

So far a few scaly tails have bit the dust already.. :ROFLMAO:

But as stated. 2mm poppet spindle. In turn i believe i´ll add a reg pressure gauge to the plenum front short side.