Other budget friendly coyote whacker

I am thinking a 35 caliber airgun is more appropriate for a coyote unless you know they are small. I started a thread back in hunting where I compared a 22lr to several assumed airguns in 25, 30 and 35 caliber using fpe but also a couple other effectiveness factors that are designed to take more seriously larger slower moving projectiles. A 25 caliber airgun would have to be extra powerful, inconsistent with a $1000 budget, to beat a 22 lr by any measure. Doesn't mean it couldn't work but I think it means you are likely to wound as much as you get DRT results (I think a 22 lr is too small for a coyote). 30 caliber gets to about 22 lr killing power but not much above it regardless of measure. Interestingly a fairly low powered 357 (I assumed 700 fps on 81 grain pellet) was lower on fpe but significantly higher on the other two measures than a 22 lr. I think that is significant. It will poke a big hole without any expansion and penetration should be enough. I think a Benjamin Bulldog would shoot that pellet faster than this and a SPA M60b might be a bit slower. But both would be in budget and I think either would be a good choice for a short range coyote air rifle. AEA makes some guns that should be fine too.

I am thinking a 35 caliber airgun is more appropriate for a coyote unless you know they are small. I started a thread back in hunting where I compared a 22lr to several assumed airguns in 25, 30 and 35 caliber using fpe but also a couple other effectiveness factors that are designed to take more seriously larger slower moving projectiles. A 25 caliber airgun would have to be extra powerful, inconsistent with a $1000 budget, to beat a 22 lr by any measure. Doesn't mean it couldn't work but I think it means you are likely to wound as much as you get DRT results (I think a 22 lr is too small for a coyote). 30 caliber gets to about 22 lr killing power but not much above it regardless of measure. Interestingly a fairly low powered 357 (I assumed 700 fps on 81 grain pellet) was lower on fpe but significantly higher on the other two measures than a 22 lr. I think that is significant. It will poke a big hole without any expansion and penetration should be enough. I think a Benjamin Bulldog would shoot that pellet faster than this and a SPA M60b might be a bit slower. But both would be in budget and I think either would be a good choice for a short range coyote air rifle. AEA makes some guns that should be fine too.
Really like the looks of the m60b just wish it had a little more juice.

Reactions: Chief Ten-Beers
I don't have one, I have three other SPA guns (all P35s) but I've seen youtubes of people talking about modifications for more power. One guy claimed to be getting 70+ fpe on a 25 caliber shooting slugs. Stock I think it is more like 50 fpe. It seemed like he was opening up the air flow paths. Another youtuber had modified his to add plenum space.

SPA rates their guns very conservatively so if you are concerned based upon their published numbers I would take them with a grain of salt. I watched one today where the guy had fpe in a 25 up in the 60+fpe with slugs doing nothing but raising regulator pressure. He went almost to about 180 bar, however.

But I am pretty sure a bulldog can make more power than the SPA M60.