Building my own Swaging Press

Yes it worked out well. The center to center distance I used was 1.25". Just had to clear our some meat in the knuckle for the shaft to get closer. I'm working on which barrel I'm going to use before I finish my dies. I've picked up a .223 Douglas barrel with 1:14 twist that is 27" long that I am fitting to try.
Totally stole your idea and made a replacement knuckle for my rock chucker. Used a center to center distance of 1.1". It's soooo much better. More than enough leverage to press my slugs now! Very happy I came across your post!

IMG_7225.jpeg

Glad it worked out for you. Are you planing on making your dies also?
Ya, I’m giving that a try as well. Die making isn’t something I’ve done before so I’ve got some learning to do. I don’t have a cnc lathe so I’m doing it in the cnc mill which isn’t probably ideal but seems to be working out for the most part. Im rough milling to within 10-20 thou, heat treating, then I finish hard milling, and polish manually.

Definitely not confident that this is the best way but seems to be working out ok-ish. I’m using 4140 but just bought some A2 steel that I’ll try next.

Hopefully I'm not crapping all over your thread csdilligaf by posting my stuff. Not sure what the correct etiquette is but since you helped me with figuring out better leverage with the press knuckle I thought I would post my current progress.

Pretty happy with how well things are working so far. First dies were made from 4140. This die is A-2. A-2 is polishing up much better. Heat treated to 62 RC and then tempered back to 55. Definitely need to work out a couple things.

Next die will be modified to include:
-Smaller lead overflow port
-general reshape of slug with slightly squarer nose
-better die "plunger" I'm getting some over squeeze on the back end of the slugs that you can see me rub off each slug before I remove it from the press

Hopefully I'm not crapping all over your thread csdilligaf by posting my stuff. Not sure what the correct etiquette is but since you helped me with figuring out better leverage with the press knuckle I thought I would post my current progress.

Pretty happy with how well things are working so far. First dies were made from 4140. This die is A-2. A-2 is polishing up much better. Heat treated to 62 RC and then tempered back to 55. Definitely need to work out a couple things.

Next die will be modified to include:
-Smaller lead overflow port
-general reshape of slug with slightly squarer nose
-better die "plunger" I'm getting some over squeeze on the back end of the slugs that you can see me rub off each slug before I remove it from the press
Nice work! It seems your press is doing good! I use A2 as well. I harden/tempered my first couple I made but just use them as machined/polished now and they seem to be holding up fine so far. I use a soft toothbrush on the ones that have a bit of leakage on them.

How do you cut your dies? I use a homemade cnc saddle for my mini lathe. I only use it for dies and molds. I have made a few by turning a cutter from O1 and hardening it but the cnc has better results.

Your bleed does seem a little big but may work fine as it seems you are getting good fill out. A smaller hole will obviously be harder to press and cause more flashing so it’s a trade off.

Excellent post and thanks for sharing! Thanks to @csdilligaf for the thread as well! Good stuff gentleman.

Dave

What all options are viable for adapting a particular press system for swaging? As in not all presses can manage the ejection mechanism.

Rock chucker 2 seems to be working well.
I think most any that have a built in primer to prime brass could be easily converted. Otherwise, the ram would need a little machine work.

Dave

the ejection mechanism.
Yes I adapted an ejection mechanism to mine. It was pretty easy. I removed the end of the shaft for the shell holder and threaded the OD to accept the dies. And put a slot in the shaft for the ejector. It bottoms out on a cross bolt in the casting. The Rebel is really strong and has no problems at all. I've thought about buying several and modifying them for guys that dont have the capability that I do in my shop. The only thing would be I would probably have to make the dies too.

I've done a bit of thinking about how to make a system with the least amount of modifications to the press as possible. It would be fun I think to come up with a press that anyone could build even without a machine shop. Obviously some parts, like the dies, will need to be machined. But, if we designed a standardized modification to say a rock chucker 2 or similar press so that a handy air gunner can build it then anyone will a machine shop could make/sell dies for that design. Right now the cost of entry to swaging is a tough pill to swallow. Hopefully an option like this could be dramatically cheaper. The more people swaging their own stuff the better. At least I know I really benefit from collaboration.

I'm happy to share my CAD/CAM files with anyone that wants them. Honeslty I'd be happy for the collaboration. I'm sure I could be doing stuff better.

Reactions: Engg.Ken
Yes I adapted an ejection mechanism to mine. It was pretty easy. I removed the end of the shaft for the shell holder and threaded the OD to accept the dies. And put a slot in the shaft for the ejector. It bottoms out on a cross bolt in the casting. The Rebel is really strong and has no problems at all. I've thought about buying several and modifying them for guys that dont have the capability that I do in my shop. The only thing would be I would probably have to make the dies too.
Hmm, yeah the rebel press might be a better starting platform then the rock chucker 2. It looks like it might be a bit more stout.

Edit:
Although I guess the rock chucker 2 shaft already has a slot in it which makes the ejection modifications easier.

I had to go back and look at the Rock Chucker for the slot. It does have it but not ideal. I made mine go all the way thru the shaft and put a cross bolt lower in the casting so that the top of the shaft has a full diameter and can accept the die nicely. I think the Rebel has 20-30% more mass than the Rock Chucker?
Truth be told I still had to put the Rock Chucker's shaft on the mill to make it a bit larger to get it to work. I think you are right, the Rebel is a better starting platform.

Well I couldn't stop myself! I picked up a couple more Rebel presses to convert. They are the best platform in my opinion. Plenty stout and they have four set up dimples in the flat side. These dimple locate the casting for machining in a 5 Axis mill. All the features are machined in one operation making it very square, perpendicular and true. So the shaft hole and the hole for the upper die are exactly concentric. I rather like this opposed to presses that are made from plates, bolts and tubing to get things concentric. The dies will match up perfect if they are made right.
In this picture you can see the cross bolt I installed for the ejector pin to stop on.

rebel.jpg

Reactions: Coxworkshop
I've done a bit of thinking about how to make a system with the least amount of modifications to the press as possible. It would be fun I think to come up with a press that anyone could build even without a machine shop. Obviously some parts, like the dies, will need to be machined. But, if we designed a standardized modification to say a rock chucker 2 or similar press so that a handy air gunner can build it then anyone will a machine shop could make/sell dies for that design. Right now the cost of entry to swaging is a tough pill to swallow. Hopefully an option like this could be dramatically cheaper. The more people swaging their own stuff the better. At least I know I really benefit from collaboration.

I'm happy to share my CAD/CAM files with anyone that wants them. Honeslty I'd be happy for the collaboration. I'm sure I could be doing stuff better.
cost of entry to swaging is a tough pill to swallow
This is what I wish to do something about !. So I think I can work on iterating multiple options for standardizing the application. I am open to ideas and collaborations.