Building my own Swaging Press

Here are my observations.

Ive identified 2 presses 1. RCBS Rebel press 2. RCBS RC 2 , Supreme
  • one of the things we must make peace with is the fact that the knuckle ratio has to be altered, as in the distance between the pivots have to be moved closer so as to make it more accessible.
  • secondly the "Zerk Fitting" on the rebel press can be used to certain extent without extensive machining to the Rebel press. making the ejector pin viable
  • Rebel press will need a machined ram for the specific application.

Supreme press has the primer seating arm that can work with ejection flawlessly, but it too needs the custom knuckle and pair of steel links to make it strong enough. If the idea is to control the costs, then a threshold has to be set so that budget X doesn't fly close to the price of commercially available press systems. And budget X has to be used as a benchmark. This shall also include the cost of the die and punch system. 1-1/4"-12 adapters give us more space to work with as compared to 7/8"-14 setup.

Or a design decision has to be made to offer a solution that keeps the press bone stock, but has the functionality as desired. with an exception to add the slotted Ram to the Rebel press.

As much as it pains me to say it, because I already have a Rock Chucker, my vote would be for the Rebel press. For the following reasons:
- Bit more stout
- More working area
- The ram is going to have to be machined either way. The ejector pin really needs two hard stops, one in housing and one in the ram. The one in the housing is used for ejection and the one in the ram is to hold the pin in place while forming. I don't see anyway of getting the latter without machining the ram. The Rock Chucker is maybe a slightly faster modification but its pretty negligible.

Side note about altering the knuckle ratio. For me that has less to do about making the it more accessible and more to do with significantly more leverage/pressure without increasing the strain on the frame of the press. Essentially you are trading more pressure for less range of motion.

As much as it pains me to say it, because I already have a Rock Chucker, my vote would be for the Rebel press. For the following reasons:
- Bit more stout
- More working area
- The ram is going to have to be machined either way. The ejector pin really needs two hard stops, one in housing and one in the ram. The one in the housing is used for ejection and the one in the ram is to hold the pin in place while forming. I don't see anyway of getting the latter without machining the ram. The Rock Chucker is maybe a slightly faster modification but its pretty negligible.

Side note about altering the knuckle ratio. For me that has less to do about making the it more accessible and more to do with significantly more leverage/pressure without increasing the strain on the frame of the press. Essentially you are trading more pressure for less range of motion.
So there is no doubt that 2 pieces of equipment need to be standardized. I wont go in much depth about the specifics now. But I think we have a common ground to begin with. what say @csdilligaf ?