• *The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Bullet stability calculators

What is the threshold for proper SG? I've read 1.5 is ideal but is there some wiggle room for SG? I'm curious what others have experienced and what the SG is on the slugs that work best in your rifles.

I went ahead and was doing some testing in a stability calculator and here's an example of a slug that's supposed to work well in the 457 texan and it's stability is significantly higher than 1.5 SG. This is the NSA .457 350 grain boattail. Numbers are ran through the berger calculator.
Screenshot_20240817_195035_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
A bit more stability than you need is better than a bit less. Apart from diameter, weight and length of the slug, the nose and base shapes need to be considered. So, the diameter, weight and length are not enough info to calculate bullet stability, strictly speaking. The relative position between the center of gravity and center of dynamic air pressure is what matters, and these are also affected by shape. And by, if there is a hollow point or not. And the diameter, depth and shape of such a cavity. Ditto, for hollow base projectiles.

If you were talking about waisted pellets, they are already aerodynamically stable and need very little spin. Spin for pellets is mainly to null out the effect of imperfections in shape and the placement of the CG relative to the primary axis. More spin helps pellet stability as it emerges from the muzzle, and is kicked by the air blast from behind. Air blast is something that can be mitigated for pellets via an effective air stripper. Overspinning pellets tends to make them spiral at longer ranges; which seems like a contradiction regarding stability.

Barrel twist requirements for a bullet peaks at a muzzle velocity right at the speed of sound. You are well above a stability factor of 1.5 at 900 FPS, so if your bullets shoot well out of your Texan, I would not worry about anything. Shooting PCPs at 1150+ FPS is silly for many reasons, that include excess air consumption and noise. So, simply don't go over 1050 FPS and you should be fine. If you want more power, shoot heavier slugs. Ones that still go fast enough to give you a flat enough trajectory for your range and mission.

Last edited: