Bullpup Airguns

Pretty limited at $700.

But the Walther Reign is a good bet, that's under $700 and available new . Just a note, I shortened mine a bit !
1675904662209.jpeg

I know that the Hatsan is somewhat popular, under $700 , Available new .
1675904843940.png

I have a Kral Empire XS that I like -
This is a "Puncher", the big brother to the XS. Look further in the Kral site to find the XS. Kral does sell to the uS with proof of age. Under $700 . Available new ,
1675905077673.png

My XS -
I really like it, but it appears to be out of stock right now. Under $700 . Out of stock right now.
1675905234397.jpeg

Mike

Yeah...that's why I cut the barrel of my Reign...make it...short !

The Empire is a great little gun, especially for the cost. I've only had it 7 or 8 months, but so far, not a single problem. No negatives at all.
My only comment would be that I only shoot offhand and at shorter distances, so shooting to 75 or 100 yards, would be a crap shoot. But shooting 25 to 50 yards should not be a b problem at all.

The Airmaks, Caiman is a "great little" gun at 22.6" long, at about $1100. I really like mine. The Caiman X is a touch longer for the same cost.
The Taipan Veteran Compact is a little over $1000, at 23.6" long.
The FX Wildcat Compact would be a great choice, at 26.75" long, at about $1500
The RTI Prophet Compact, just gets in under $1500, at 26" long.

Mike

Last edited:
My favorite airgun is the SPA P35. A P15 is the same thing with rear instead of side cocking. A Stoeger bull shark has a 1.5 inch longer barrel, a different stock and a little different arrangement of the shroud (has a 1/2 UNF end cap and 40mm less space in the shroud for baffles or a moderator). The bullshark is about 6 lbs, the P35 is 5.2 and the P15 is about 4.5 lbs. All are short, under 30 inches. They are all regulated. My 177 came set to about 19 fpe, my 22 is about 32 fpe and my 25 was tuned to produce upper 30s but I droppedit back. I shoot from my left shoulder and the P35 and bullshark are great for that. All are under $500. These guns have noticably less plastic working parts than my Avenger has. Accuracy is similar (my 22 is better than my Avenger, my 177 similar, my 25 a little worse). Which is to say good to excellent.

My favorite airgun is the SPA P35. A P15 is the same thing with rear instead of side cocking. A Stoeger bull shark has a 1.5 inch longer barrel, a different stock and a little different arrangement of the shroud (has a 1/2 UNF end cap and 40mm less space in the shroud for baffles or a moderator). The bullshark is about 6 lbs, the P35 is 5.2 and the P15 is about 4.5 lbs. All are short, under 30 inches. They are all regulated. My 177 came set to about 19 fpe, my 22 is about 32 fpe and my 25 was tuned to produce upper 30s but I droppedit back. I shoot from my left shoulder and the P35 and bullshark are great for that. All are under $500. These guns have noticably less plastic working parts than my Avenger has. Accuracy is similar (my 22 is better than my Avenger, my 177 similar, my 25 a little worse). Which is to say good to excellent.
Thank you Jim! I just checked it out and the compact size and price point is very intriguing. Something I’m really going to look in to. I’ve seen multiple reviews that were say saying that the quality control on these guns were iffy at best. Have you had any problems with it, or some tinkering had to be done? Also would you be able to tell me what mods you did to get it up to 32 fpe in .22?

Last edited:
I did nothing to get it to 32 fpe in my P35-22. It came tuned that way. I shoot H&N Baracuda Match at about 835 fps. I've twice put three of these pellets, in two different head sizes, in exactly the same hole at 25 yards. I didn't pick the energy level, I just shot a bunch of pellets to find what grouped best and this was the result. JSB 18s were as good at 25 yards but not at 34 yards.

I have had essentially no issues on my 3 P35s. I have them in 177, 22, and 25 caliber. I bought the 25 in October of 2021 and the other two in May of 2022. I changed O-rings for the large nut sealing the air tube after changing the regulator (to turn it down) and also the O-ring that makes the on-way valve for air fill. I damaged the O-ring in the barrel taking it out to polish the barrel and changed it. I just changed O-rings on a filler probe that was leaking. But that is the extent of the maintenance. Nothing has broken. They all hold air well and did from day one.

I polished the crowns on all three guns and tried polishing the barrel of the 25 with JBs. I think the crown may help a little, they had obvious chatter marks but polishing the barrel seemed to do nothing so I did not do it on the other two. I did hair curler mods in the shrouds of all three first and now have in shroud moderators on them. The 22 and 25 are about 85 db and the 177 is a little quieter. I also adjusted the trigger on all three including putting in a little longer sear screw. The first stage was lightened to near nothing and the sear adjusted to a safe level of engagement but without creep. They are all around a pound now.

I have an Avenger too and I think the SPA guns are better made. I do not like the plastic end fittings for the shroud of the avenger and the mid length spacer that is also plastic. I am not a fan of what is apparently a pot metal valve block in the Avenger. The P35s are steel and aluminum. There is a range of accuracy in the three guns with the 22 being clearly the most accurate and it also has the best regulator (ES of about 16, dev of about 4). The 25 is the worst and it has often given me 3 shot groups 1/4 inch center to center at 25 yards. It's also killed 18 squirrels for me so far. My Avenger shoots about as well as the 177, the middle of my pack of 3 P35s. My P35s are certainly not perfect guns but I think they are quite nice considering their price.