• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

By the time I was 29

I had an El Gamo Cadet, BSA Mercury S, 1919 BSA LIght pattern, Beeman R 10, R7, HW55, HW70, and a Theoben Sirocco.
I still have all but the R10. And many more
Gamo was called El Gamo back then. I bought the cheap Cadet at a department store to see what springers were about. I think I was 24. Or 23?
I didn’t even know anybody else that had soringers.

Reactions: moodyblues
When I was 20 I went into Thompson Sport Shop in Seekonk MA. Bought a brand new Beeman R7 . They had every model , you could even shoot whatever you wanted before purchasing out back. I didn’t know anything about adult Airguns but I was in love with that R7. The others were way out of reach price wise. I’m guessing I paid 150 to 175 for that R7.

When I was 20 I went into Thompson Sport Shop in Seekonk MA. Bought a brand new Beeman R7 . They had every model , you could even shoot whatever you wanted before purchasing out back. I didn’t know anything about adult Airguns but I was in love with that R7. The others were way out of reach price wise. I’m guessing I paid 150 to 175 for that R7.
Man I spent allot of time (and money) in Thompsons! In those pre internet days, they were the only place around you could actually handle a quality air gun. Norm was a good guy too! Hated to see that shop close but when Sports Authority moved into town, they were just too much for him to compete with..

Last edited:
Reactions: mj102
I was 28 when I bought my Hw55 from Beeman's used gun list. You sent them $1.50 and they sent you (snail mail!) a list of available used guns. I then called them, had it sent COD and got my HW55. I actually had a FWB 124 for a while, but didn't care for the shot cycle and sold it to raise funds for the HW55. I still have it!
HW55 1.JPG

Wow! there's a lot of us who frequented Thompsons. That means there's a lot of airgunners living in the Southern MA area. Hello to all of my airgunning neighbors!

Man I spent allot of time (and money) in Thompsons! In those pre internet days, they were the only place around you could actually handle a quality air gun. Norm was a good guy too! Hated to see that shop close but when Sports Authority moved into town, they were just too much for him to compete with..

Weehooker
Where are you located? I'm in Rhody.

I started at around 23 years old at D&B Guns on N. Main St in Providence. Couldn't shoot them but he had all the catalogs.
All my buddies had .177 Beeman rifles. I wanted to be different so I ordered a Feinwerkbau. 22 aka 127D. He talked me into a super tune and Walnut upgrade.
I foolishly traded it years later. I'm pretty sure who has it now but have given up on ever getting it back. 🤔

Reactions: weehooker
Right around the Tiverton /Fall river line. Not to divert the thread but are you aware of any AG shoots in RI? Pretty bleak down here (although I'm trying to put together some informal field target.) Glad to know you.

Only Airgun shoots I go to are on my indoor range. Lol. Nothing happens in RI. I'm in Lincoln. Mj102 is in EP. Maybe we can get together and plink in your nice big backyard in Tiverton.

Reactions: weehooker
Only Airgun shoots I go to are on my indoor range. Lol. Nothing happens in RI. I'm in Lincoln. Mj102 is in EP. Maybe we can get together and plink in your nice big backyard in Tiverton.
That would be cool. I'm in the process of revamping my "range" adding steel /reactive targets. My "range" is 28 yds deep but I'm backed by nothing but woods so I can set swingers to 50 yds or so. I also shoot my rifles out at the RG New Bedford. Nice outdoor range for shooting paper and KYL's and such. Are you gents primarily shooting springers or PCP's?

That would be cool. I'm in the process of revamping my "range" adding steel /reactive targets. My "range" is 28 yds deep but I'm backed by nothing but woods so I can set swingers to 50 yds or so. I also shoot my rifles out at the RG New Bedford. Nice outdoor range for shooting paper and KYL's and such. Are you gents primarily shooting springers or PCP's?

That sounds like a nice range set up. I primarily shoot spring guns but I have a pcp. We should get together!

When I was 15, in 1973. I ordered a 177 break barrel springer thru the mail from some outdoor gear catalog (cannot remember name of store but thought it started with P (Parker?????). I am guessing it was a Diana and possibly a model 24. Sure looks like it in the video I just pulled up. I remember the factory stated velocity was 690 fps. Gun broke and did not know how to fix it. Think my Dad tossed it finally.