AirMaks Arms Caiman MK1 regulator problem

Hi. Can you please suggest any good aftermarket regulator for Caiman X mk1 in 25 cal? Its creeping so much. And giving super different speeds all the time.

It is giving 230 FPS difference. Depends on the mood of the gun. UA sent me to the Airmaks because they told me they have no spare parts. And Airmaks told m its discontinued. Please suggest something. Its making me crazy already

Reactions: RobBonnell89
Hi. Can you please suggest any good aftermarket regulator for Caiman X mk1 in 25 cal? Its creeping so much. And giving super different speeds all the time.

It is giving 230 FPS difference. Depends on the mood of the gun. UA sent me to the Airmaks because they told me they have no spare parts. And Airmaks told m its discontinued. Please suggest something. Its making me crazy already
Search the forums. I believe there’s a fix for it. Something you can do yourself. I almost grabbed that Caiman myself. It’s a common problem on the early caimans. You should be able to get it sorted out.

Good luck.
Rob

I just bought a Mk1 Caiman X for cheap at Utah Airguns. Had heard about reg issues with the first series of guns, but was O.K. buying it after reading about the Weevil Mod, developed by AGN's own member weevil. Check out this thread and it might help you keep your OEM regulator instead of purchasing a new one.

Weevil Mod

Reactions: weevil
I just did the weevil mod this afternoon to my new-to-me, NOS Caiman X. I didn't have the same problem as these Gen 1 Caiman's are known for: Instead of slowly decreasing in speed over the shot string, my gun shot real slow at first, and over 50+ shots rose almost 600 fps! Yikes - starting at 357 and slowly but surely heading up to 950 before it stabilized just for a bit and then started dropping off as the cylinder pressure dropped. So likely a very creepy reg from the start, holding the valve from fully opening until pressure in the cylinder dropped.

Since this is a NOS gun, I was wondering whether the reg might just need some time to start functioning properly. But I figured WTH, I'll see how it does when it can breathe properly. So I did the Weevil mod and things are working great now!

I set the hammer spring for about 910 fps with 25.39's (my gun is a .25 cal) and the accuracy at 25 yds where I have tested it so far is one hole. Spread over the entire shot string was a little high as 40 shots pushed the air capacity a little much (starting from only a 240b fill). But still only 26 fps with an SD of 5.1. And with that speed difference there should really be no POI change out to at least 40 yards over the entire 40 shots.

Thank you weevil for your airgun acumen, and for publishing such a great fix for the Gen 1 Caimans!

Reactions: weevil
I do not know about a 25 but the Huma of my 22 caliber Caiman X came set at 100 bar and that pushes 18 grain pellets easily over 900 fps. It needs a much lower regulator setting than my other PCPs. (my gun needed the weevil mod and also needed excess silicone grease taken off the bellville washers and a little added to the O-ring on the regulator adjustment shaft). Works great now. ES came down with more use.

Reactions: tsakula