AirMaks Arms Caiman X 5 month review

I purchased a Caiman X in 22 from Utah Air in late March of this year and began shooting it April 4 of this year. So in a couple days I will have been shooting it 5 months. I've posted comments several times but I decided to post this overall review to give a more balanced perspective to what I think about this airgun.

First, the good things. The most notable attribute to me is the excellent machining. All my other 5 airguns are much less expensive and the better maching of the Caiman definitely stands out. For instance, the fill probe of the Caiman has never leaked even a little bit during a fill from my bottle. My P35s also fill via a probe and it is a bit of a struggle to have them not leak. The cocking stroke is short and smooth. The magazines are well made. The trigger mechanism seems relatively simple but it is easy to adjust to a clean and pretty light break. The fitup inside the gun is also great, possibly better than it needs to be in one way (which I will cover in the things I do not love).

It is also reasonably quiet with the built in baffles which are fully removable. But it still has a 1/2 UNF fitting for adding an external moderator. It is supposed to be possible to add modules to the included baffle stack but I have not identified any place to buy them.

It is really short for it's barrel length. It is only 695mm long and has a 520mm barrel. About 28 inches long with barrel about 20 inches long. And remember, it has installed baffles for sound. The innovative pivoting hammer helps Air Maks get the end of the barrel so far back in the stock.

It has a lock screw for the hammer spring adjustment.

The cocking switches to either side and the manual explains how to do it.

It stores 285 ccs of air at up to 300 bar. It says right on the tube it was tested to 450bar. My reg is set as received at 100 bar so that is a lot of shots.

It has a 20 MOA scope rail.

The one pressure gage is on the side, not the end of the air tube.

Mine is quite accurate. I shot my second 200 on the 30 yard challenge with it a few days ago. That is after (4)199 targets. I've shot as many as 17 Xs on these targets. I still haven't tried it at longer range but it is accurate at 30 yards. It prefers H&N Baracuda 18 pellets but shot a lot of pellets reasonably well (including JSBs and JTSs). I have not tried slugs serioiusly but cleaning the barrel I noticed it is much tighter at the muzzle.

Things I do not like. The manual is poor, almost as bad as my SPA manuals and definitely much worse than my Avenger's manual. It does not explain how to adjust the trigger, how to remove the stock, or how to degass the gun. Utah Airguns helped with these things but it deserves a decent manual.

It's kind of heavy at nearly 7 lbs.

It's kind of tall due to the large diameter air tube and the decision to totally enclose it in the stock.

The magazine is 10 rounds and it doesn't lock you out when it's empty (which wastes a round). It cannot realistically be bigger without sticking out a lot which would be bad for me since I shoot from my left shoulder.

Changing the regulator is fairly involved. You have to take the scope off, take the safety pin out (loosen two screws in the trigger guard and it will slide out) and then take off the bolts for the top and bottom portion of the stock. I think it's two and two but I did not go look. With the stock off, you take the air tube off and then open the degassing screw that resides under the tube attachment screw closest to the hammer mechanism. When it is empty you can screw off the end of the air tube by hand and the regulator (a huma) is right there and the adjustment of it is super easy. It's getting to it that is a bit involved.

I do not believe everybody will have the problems I had as received but mine showed up with a couple not insignificant issues. I am sure Utah Air would have preferred to fix them for me but I fixed them myself. The first thing I noticed was the velocity would fall as I shot the gun. On 4/6 I shot a 24 shot string that had a 48 fps extreme spread. On 4/7 I shot a 10 shot string that had a 26 fps extreme spread. Another forum member had posted that his gun did this and it was the regulator not venting between shots. The area of the regulator where the bellville washers are needs to vent between shots or the added pressure will confuse the regulator giving you these lower velocities. The regulator in the Caiman sits on a piece that I think is the plenum. There is a vent in the side of the regulator housing but then the air has to go through the clearance between the regulator housing and the plenum piece to reach the hole in the side of the airtube. That hole is in a threaded area. My Caiman is very well machined and somebody had put an abundance of silicone grease on these pieces and it was not venting. I filed two small V grooves in the bottom of the plenum piece and I also had to remove a portion of a thread that was blocking the vent hole in the airtube. I will say again that Utah Air did not make me do this, they did not like it that I did it. After I got this fixed the regulator stopped working. Fortunately I knew how to get to it and I found the O-ring under the adjustment screw had no lubricant on it. The belleville washers and the plenum piece were slathered in silicone grease but there was none on that o-ring. So I greased it and the regulator has worked great ever since. The last couple 20-25 shot strings I've checked both had an ES of 8. It does not matter how high I fill it although I fill from a bottle so it is never to a full 300. But I've filled over 250 and the regulator still works great. Velocity at the start and the end of a string will be the same. I hope Air Maks decides to fix this venting issue. I've seen two reviews on youtube that found the declining velocity string so they have to know about it. It seems to be easy to fix. They upgraded several things from the initial version to the one I have but did not seem to address this.

I like this gun. Our start was a little rocky but it got fixed quickly. It has never leaked. The barrel pretty much never needs cleaning. It is shooting the H&N 18s at about 910 fps and shooting them very accurately including the first shot out of a cold barrel. I tried turning it down to 880 fps with the hammer spring and it did not like that and the first shot was not dependable. Velocity peaked at 940 fps so I was probably turning it down too much. If I ever decide I have to have 880 I will have to decrease the regulator to about 90 bar from it's current 100 bar setting. If this gun liked heavier pellets it could produce a lot more power. But an accurate 33 fpe 22 is fine with me.

I am the poster you refer to. It is surprising that they did not fix it. Assuming yours is the Caiman 2 with Huma reg?

Anyway, I haven’t had to fix mine since then. It has been solid and reliable. Mine is a 177 and I find the sweet spot to be 930 of 960 peak, shooting Zan 10 grain slugs. 10fps low on the first shot but I just hold it over. Any closer to peak speed has it barking and losing accuracy.

Reactions: rootdude
Yep. Thanks Weevil. Mine is indeed the Caiman 2. Air Maks are clearly talented designers so it is surprising they did a redesign and still did not fix this. It may be something that doesn't always happen which always makes it difficult to catch and observe. But when there are youtubes out there documenting the issue I'd think they would obtain that gun (or a warranty return) and take care of it. I would put a little hole the same size as the vent, I think, in the regulator housing (instead of the V-notches) and probably move the vent hole in the air tube out of the threaded region. Or just do a little hand work.

Yep. Thanks Weevil. Mine is indeed the Caiman 2. Air Maks are clearly talented designers so it is surprising they did a redesign and still did not fix this. It may be something that doesn't always happen which always makes it difficult to catch and observe. But when there are youtubes out there documenting the issue I'd think they would obtain that gun (or a warranty return) and take care of it. I would put a little hole the same size as the vent, I think, in the regulator housing (instead of the V-notches) and probably move the vent hole in the air tube out of the threaded region. Or just do a little hand work.
Well, at least they put a decent reg in it. You can find another thread from me where I put a delrin seat in because the Airmaks seat was a soft nylon. Interesting that they only sell regulated models! An unregulated Airmaks would be great.

JimD / weevil -

I seem to have gained a "couple" (or more) of Caiman"s /Caiman X's (all .22's). I just like the "body" design, and the length ! And recently bought a used one, an "X" with your (weevil) modification done to it. Very accurate. Shooting offhand, at a 5/8" dia. dot, at about 13 yards, I removed the dot from the page with 8 shots. Just like in the county fairs !
And yeah JimD, agree with your comments, although I haven't messed with any of the regulators, so I don't know about that one.

While I don't shoot using a chronograph, I've adjusted all of my guns to shoot at about 800fps. The Caiman's take just a small turn to make adjustments. I do check them "occasionally" for fps consistency. All seem to hold that well. Although normally the first shot will be slightly different than the remaining shooting.
My newish Caiman, Mod. II...is a bit more consistent on that first shot. Need to shoot it more than I have been.

A fun little gun.

Mike

Reactions: weevil
My Caiman was briefly unregulated. When the O-ring on the regulator adjustment screw failed because it was not lubricated it was effectively an unregulated gun. I did not like that and immediately took the regulator apart to find the problem. But if you really wanted to have an unregulated Caiman you could just take the adjustment screw, O-ring and disc out of the regulator and it will not be regulated. If you don't like it, you could put all the parts back.

My Caiman was briefly unregulated. When the O-ring on the regulator adjustment screw failed because it was not lubricated it was effectively an unregulated gun. I did not like that and immediately took the regulator apart to find the problem. But if you really wanted to have an unregulated Caiman you could just take the adjustment screw, O-ring and disc out of the regulator and it will not be regulated. If you don't like it, you could put all the parts back.
My comment was joking, at Airmak’s expense…