Caldwell or fx chrony

For me, better means that it does the same job while being cheaper in cost

set-up difference
the downside to the Caldwell is the set-up time...you need to align the chrono with the rifle and target. If your target is moved left/right, you will have to re-align the chronograph to stay inline
The FX attaches to the muzzle of the rifle, so minimal set-up is required. If target is moved left/right ..no additional set-up is needed
both chrono's usually stay in front of the rifle --The Caldwell can be moved downrange if you want to see what the fps is at a certain distance, but you had better put some kind of barrier in front of the base so you don't accidently shoot it--cause you will.

do both do the same thing? -- yes, they both measure fps
can you move them down range .. FX=no Caldwell=Yes
Which is easier to set-up = FX

so imo you would pay more for convience with the FX which is about 2x the price

Reactions: Vulcan 3
For me, better means that it does the same job while being cheaper in cost

set-up difference
the downside to the Caldwell is the set-up time...you need to align the chrono with the rifle and target. If your target is moved left/right, you will have to re-align the chronograph to stay inline
The FX attaches to the muzzle of the rifle, so minimal set-up is required. If target is moved left/right ..no additional set-up is needed
both chrono's usually stay in front of the rifle --The Caldwell can be moved downrange if you want to see what the fps is at a certain distance, but you had better put some kind of barrier in front of the base so you don't accidently shoot it--cause you will.

do both do the same thing? -- yes, they both measure fps
can you move them down range .. FX=no Caldwell=Yes
Which is easier to set-up = FX

so imo you would pay more for convience with the FX which is about 2x the price
You certainly can move the FX chronograph downrange.I have put it at 50 and 100 yd with my phone somewhere near it so I can calculate my BC at those distances. You just need to make sure that you either know your hold over or you have a target at those distances to see how much hold over you need so you don't shoot your chronograph.

Having had both of these if I have the money to get either or I would get the FX. Whether it's the v1 or v2 they're easy to carry and, easy to set up. Also idk about other caldwells but mine took 9v batteries and those get expensive.

ive had many chronos,
the only one thats going nowhere is the FX.

for the facts that.........

i can pick up the gun and shoot in any direction/orientation i want without having to re-setup the chrono,
and still read all the shots.

i can run shot strings while whacking pigeons or starlings.

i can chrono in complete darkness.

setup takes 10 seconds.

and i dont have to shoot across a tiny area between two metal rods lol

I have a Caldwell. It's just like the old school "crony". It works good in cloudy weather. Iffy in bright sunlight. The distance above the sensor is critical. Once you figure it out you can get a reading on most shots. Always fiddling with shadows, sky screns etc. And it eats those 9v energizers for lunch. Dinner too if you forget to switch it off.

It's a good chronograph that has all the problems chronographs have always had. It serves the purpose. I suppose the LED sky screens might work better but I don't have those. I'm happy with it but I don't spend much time using it. When I do the experience is less than satisfying. But it will return a velocity at any range if you get things right.

You certainly can move the FX chronograph downrange.I have put it at 50 and 100 yd with my phone somewhere near it so I can calculate my BC at those distances. You just need to make sure that you either know your hold over or you have a target at those distances to see how much hold over you need so you don't shoot your chronograph.

Having had both of these if I have the money to get either or I would get the FX. Whether it's the v1 or v2 they're easy to carry and, easy to set up. Also idk about other caldwells but mine took 9v batteries and those get expensive.
Good to know
i was wrong
Mike

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
Why limit fps to 1250 with the fx. Seems a waste of money if you can only use it for Airguns and rimfire only. Get something to use for all weapons. Save up and get the Garmin 100times better than fx
Some people don't shoot PB, and the garmin is 3x the price of an FX. For that price you may as well get a ladradar, it gives you everybit of information you could want and it calculates the BC for you.

1723480258001.png

1723480318245.png

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
I've had a $90 Chrony (brand) for 7 or 8 years now. My budget (fixed income) doesn't allow me the upper tier on some peripherals. It's always worked very well for me & when compared to even $800 units is never off by more than 2 or 3 fps! And for can you shoot targets while measuring fps, YES, you can. As long as pellet path doesn't hit chronograph. It happens to a lot of us believe it or not.