Calling All Airgun Coyote Hunters!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the 4th or fifth time I've seen a coyote in my backyard usually early in the morning just at sunrise. Since I'm not out in the yard at that time it's not bothering me currently. However if I see it personally up close and maybe motivated to take some corrective action. I only have a 60 FPE 0.25 currently which I think would be inadequate for anything but a headshot. But as Max as posted many times their head bobs up and down and rarely stay still long enough to ensure a good brain shot. I'm thinking of getting a 200 plus FPE 357 but even then I don't think it'd be enough for a lung shot for to not run 50 yards or more. At the target location it's only about 25 yards to the next property. Although it would have to jump a fence wounded.

I posted this earlier and I should have been more specific. I meant for animals of raccoon size or larger. Obviously if you hit a mouse in the ass with even a 0.177 it will most likely prove fatal and it won't walk far.

Stupid censorship rules. To view the link you have to change "alphabet org" change back to "F B I" with only the three letters with spaces removed in the link. It discusses shooting raccoons with a 38 special and how there often don't DRT. I consider a high power .357 air gun to be about the same as a .38 special shot out of a 6" revolver.

Last edited:
Reactions: Firewalker
Not me. I'd rather see a coyote eat a cat than shoot one. I can't think of a reason to hate on a coyote at all.

Hawks are the big cat killers here. A guy that would shoot a hawk (or coyote) over a dead cat needs a spanking IMHO.

I've lived with them all my life. They are as much a part of the desert as the rabbits and snakes. I don't care to shoot a rabbit or a snake either.

There are dozens of coyotes within airgun range every night. I love to hear them sing. I haven't killed one in 50 years. I've never had a reason to.
Good for you. The farmer next to me has had them killing calves getting born, actually pulling out the calves. Enjoy your music, I will shoot them in a second if I get the chance.

Is anyone reading the first post? And “backyard Bob” is funny as hell!!
But don’t confuse a backyard Bob with a Bedrock Bob. I have no beef with Bedrock. I feel he has good core hunting ethics and values. He has just lived with coyotes his whole life so they are like a gray squirrel to me. It would be like introducing velociraptors to Texas. They would be pissed. Meanwhile a caveman is like what’s the big deal. Just steer clear of them.

I have not seen a coyote around my house. I walk the dog several miles a day and have seen a fox a couple times and a raccoon more than once. I've never been tempted to shoot at them because they were not bothering me or my doggie. But I did shoot a little raccoon one afternoon in my yard. That was probably not necessary either but I thought it might have rabies based upon being out in the daytime. Others suggested later it was just a male kicked out of the nest, so to speak, which would make sense. It was not acting erratically other than being out in the daytime. But my point is I like to have a fairly powerful airgun around just in case something shows up that needs to be dealt with. My biggest currently is my P35-25 tuned to about 50 fpe shooting JSB 33.95 grain pellets a little over 800 fps. I will test the penetration soon but I think it may have more than twice the penetration of my smaller airguns I use for squirrels. If so, I think it would make it to the vitals of a coyote. But it would be light and will only get used for this if I don't have a better option.

The purpose of fish and game commissions is to keep wildlife populations at a level where they do not starve to death or over run neighborhoods. Or get killed off. They set seasons and for big game they control the kills with tags. If they set a season on coyotes then they have determined some need to be killed. Letting them kill off all the small game or starve is not humane.

Just my opinion. But it is shared by range biologists, hunters, sportsmen and outdoorsman universally.

You’ve said some pompous garbage on this forum…. but this one takes the cake.

I'm going to somewhat agree with Bob here, it's the "Indiscriminate" killing that studies show make the issues worse in urban/suburban environments but the statement that it's "universally" agreed upon is shear garbage and not supported unless the "range" is PETA driven.

HOWEVER, this is used as a club to beat hunters over the head with and as long as you plan your hunt and understand the hierarchy of the clan and choose your shots, the population can be decreased successfully.

1724977270491.gif

1724977270513.gif

1724977270535.gif

Reactions: TheSuperToe
I have not seen a coyote around my house. I walk the dog several miles a day and have seen a fox a couple times and a raccoon more than once. I've never been tempted to shoot at them because they were not bothering me or my doggie. But I did shoot a little raccoon one afternoon in my yard. That was probably not necessary either but I thought it might have rabies based upon being out in the daytime. Others suggested later it was just a male kicked out of the nest, so to speak, which would make sense. It was not acting erratically other than being out in the daytime. But my point is I like to have a fairly powerful airgun around just in case something shows up that needs to be dealt with. My biggest currently is my P35-25 tuned to about 50 fpe shooting JSB 33.95 grain pellets a little over 800 fps. I will test the penetration soon but I think it may have more than twice the penetration of my smaller airguns I use for squirrels. If so, I think it would make it to the vitals of a coyote. But it would be light and will only get used for this if I don't have a better option.

The purpose of fish and game commissions is to keep wildlife populations at a level where they do not starve to death or over run neighborhoods. Or get killed off. They set seasons and for big game they control the kills with tags. If they set a season on coyotes then they have determined some need to be killed. Letting them kill off all the small game or starve is not humane.
It’s a completely open season on coyotes with very few restrictions. What does that tell you? They are not a game animal. They are a pest.

Reactions: PumaCarl
I’m done here. Thanks for your input @drsquall.
The reason why it’s more popular to debate killing coyotes rather than how is because it’s very difficult. Generally not done in slippers and a bathrobe off the deck while sipping morning coffee. You have to be pretty hard core or possibly gullible to go after coyotes with a run of the mill airgun. You’ll get more responses but it will take time. Start a topic about picking tweety birds off a feeder and it will be 7 pages in one day. The coyote thing will just take longer. Just way fewer guys.

Never forget. A Professor, Scientist will report what ever you ask as long as you pay them. Just like a Prostitute.;
Yes and research grants are given to those "scientist" that want to research, reach conclusions that match the desires of the grantor!

I think rural folk and farm folk have a basic lay of the land when it comes to these animals, yet our experiences differ. I want to hear from the guys in the suburbs and apartment complexes, specifically the ones that have started threads asking advice on which gun to buy to shoot at coyotes.
Not sure about shooting in or near apartment complexes unless you can post up at a high altitude for a downward shot, or attempt trapping with live bait cages. I've done coyote removal for golf courses down here and have had permission to use PB or big bore air rifles. Personally within 50yds with a clean shot I would go lower than a .25 doing 70fpe but would much prefer a .30 putting out 100fpe. For big bore I've used the benjamin bulldog 357 to take down yotes.

I will say here in Florida yotes are A LOT more prevalent simply due to the amount of land being taken away from native animals for construction of property, and that has resulted in the yotes getting to friendly with the homeowners dogs, cats and on several occasions taken pets.

Status
Not open for further replies.