Calling Gophers ....Turkey

My hunt this morning took an odd turn. I was set up as usual scanning around where a fresh mound had formed. It had been dead all morning, not a breath of air movement, I was thinking of how hot it was going to get later, plus no Gopher activity. I was getting bored, but I had got a turkey call a while back and had it in my pocket. We have a lone turkey hanging around making herself at home and bonding with our other sort of pet animals. So I have been practicing with the call making what I think are "Turkey Talk" sounds. I did a few clucks, a purr and paused for a while to see what would happen. I then repeated my message to attract the turkey....WHAT, wait, a gopher is starring at me about ten yards away!!! I slide the call back in my shirt pocket, slowly reach down and pick up the Gamo Urban, I get the gopher in the crosshairs and squeeze the trigger. I am rewarded with another turkey XX??## I mean dead Gopher.

I am sure this was all coincidental, but I will try the turkey call again tomorrow. I am not overly superstitious or anything, I like to describe myself as somewhat lucky.

Turkey Call Gopher.1623949073.JPG

The call is a Primos Power Crystal, the friction action of the wooden stylus scratched across the crystal makes the turkey sounds. Yeah, I know I have way to much fun screwing around all day, it is great being old and retired.

Good luck with your pesting, stay healthy and safe

Arrowhead1951

I have noticed in the past when out Turkey hunting that when calling I have had many different kinds of wildlife, deer, coyotes, squirrels, raccoons and different kinds of birds get way closer to me than what the normally would. I think it is that the sounds of the Turkey call make them think that all is safe. There is not much out in the timber harder to sneak up on than a wild Turkey and if they are making noise the other animals let down their guard just a little because they think it is safe.

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your replies.

Interesting observations with your hunting experiences how the different animals interact with each other. I read about a similar relationship between owls and turkeys. When coming off the roost the turkeys recognized a call used by the owls going on to their day perch, that it was safe.

Good luck with your pesting, stay healthy and safe

Arrowhead1951