Canadian Laws Governing Air Guns

Trying to find a clear explanation of exactly what the laws are in Canada about collecting, protecting and transporting air guns in Canada. I saw a post some time ago about the Supreme Court ruling that air guns are now restricted weapons in Canada and are subject to special handling and storage requirements. Can anybody help me out? I have a collection of about 50 air guns, BB and Pellet, mostly CO2 pistols and a couple of rifles.

Here is how the RCMP interprets the law. What they *say* the law is, isn't quite exactly what our laws are, but this page is pretty basic and for most purposes correct. 

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/specific-types-firearms

Technically a NERF gun is a firearm in Canadian law, similarly staple guns and nail guns. Exactly what kind of gun a nail gun is, has never been tested in the courts, as far as I know. Similarly, a lot of elements concerning how airguns fit exactly into the law have not been tested in the courts. So you pretty much only have the letter of the law to go with, and what the RCMP interprets the law to be. RCMP is often incorrect on minutiae of the law, but you'll of course run into a lot less trouble if you don't contradict their interpretation. Their webpages aren't meant to be 100% accurate, more of a general guideline -- if you want the exact law, you should look it up. The Canadian Firearms Program has a help line where you can ask for guidance on how the laws apply in specific situations. Keep in mind, they have a policy of getting back to people in 3 working days. My last query to them was about 8 months ago, and they have not replied!

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms

500fps and 4.2 ft-lb is the threshold for being a firearm for the purposes of the Firearm act, i.e. fitting into the classification of unrestricted, restricted, prohibited. A stock Crosman 1322 does not meet that threshold, so you do not legally have to abide by the firearms act for that gun. i.e. you can store it unlocked (of course the RCMP would not recommend this, but the laws do not say you have to lock it up), etc. Similarly a stock Leshiy is around 1000fps, so it is an unrestricted firearm by Canadian law. That said, if you put the 250mm barrel on it, it would be a prohibited weapon due to a length provision.

The Firearms Act is here: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/f-11.6/

Also, you'll likely get more timely advice on Canadian laws here: https://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/

There are forum members that help craft provincial legistlation, in some provinces, present on the forum. Quite a lot of detailed knowledge on Federal, Provincial and local regulations across much of the country. 

Here is how the RCMP interprets the law. What they *say* the law is, isn't quite exactly what our laws are, but this page is pretty basic and for most purposes correct. 

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/specific-types-firearms

Technically a NERF gun is a firearm in Canadian law, similarly staple guns and nail guns. Exactly what kind of gun a nail gun is, has never been tested in the courts, as far as I know. Similarly, a lot of elements concerning how airguns fit exactly into the law have not been tested in the courts. So you pretty much only have the letter of the law to go with, and what the RCMP interprets the law to be. RCMP is often incorrect on minutiae of the law, but you'll of course run into a lot less trouble if you don't contradict their interpretation. Their webpages aren't meant to be 100% accurate, more of a general guideline -- if you want the exact law, you should look it up. The Canadian Firearms Program has a help line where you can ask for guidance on how the laws apply in specific situations. Keep in mind, they have a policy of getting back to people in 3 working days. My last query to them was about 8 months ago, and they have not replied!

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms

500fps and 4.2 ft-lb is the threshold for being a firearm for the purposes of the Firearm act, i.e. fitting into the classification of unrestricted, restricted, prohibited. A stock Crosman 1322 does not meet that threshold, so you do not legally have to abide by the firearms act for that gun. i.e. you can store it unlocked (of course the RCMP would not recommend this, but the laws do not say you have to lock it up), etc. Similarly a stock Leshiy is around 1000fps, so it is an unrestricted firearm by Canadian law. That said, if you put the 250mm barrel on it, it would be a prohibited weapon due to a length provision.

The Firearms Act is here: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/f-11.6/

Also, you'll likely get more timely advice on Canadian laws here: https://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/

There are forum members that help craft provincial legistlation, in some provinces, present on the forum. Quite a lot of detailed knowledge on Federal, Provincial and local regulations across much of the country.

How does a Nerf gun or a nail gun meet the 500fps and 4.2fpe to be considered technically a firearm? I don't think they do. 

Trying to find a clear explanation of exactly what the laws are in Canada about collecting, protecting and transporting air guns in Canada. I saw a post some time ago about the Supreme Court ruling that air guns are now restricted weapons in Canada and are subject to special handling and storage requirements. Can anybody help me out? I have a collection of about 50 air guns, BB and Pellet, mostly CO2 pistols and a couple of rifles.

You live there.

Ask the RCMP!

Poor Canadians, but i can only assume they want it like that, voting for the people that made it that way.

At lease we Danes can still shoot a .177 FAC, though probably just until some newspaper tell politicians that it will still hurt people if you shoot at them, or some snot faced punk kids shoot at people again, which was why we lost the ability to buy all other calibers when 18

A decade ago they made a knife law here to stop knife use, since then knife use have just gone,,,,,,, UP, cuz what they did, that is not how you solve problems with idiots using knives on other idiots,,,,,, cuz we are mainly talking about disputes over the drug market among,,,,, "sons of the sand".

@ Darlym It would be nice if you had something relevant and intelligent to add to the thread Very basically... Airguns shooting over 500 fps ... you need a PAL license...POSSESSION AQUISITION LICENSE. Under 500 fps no license required. If it is an air pistol shooting over 500 fps a RPAL is required.....RESTRICTED POSSESSION ACQUISITION LICENSE. Your movement of these is restricted!....rifles no problem. Any airgun that can be fired in an automatic mode (just holding the trigger down) are prohibited.

How does a Nerf gun or a nail gun meet the 500fps and 4.2fpe to be considered technically a firearm? I don't think they do.

I'm using the language of the law. Being a firearm does not have anything to do with the 500fps condition. i.e. the firearm act only regulates a specific subset of firearms. There are plenty of unregulated firearms, such as Nerf guns, and pen tubes used to fire spitballs, and, for example: Crosman Full-Auto A4-P BB Pistol w/Red Dot Sight [https://www.airgunsource.ca/us/crosman-full-auto-a4-p-bb-pistol-w-red-dot-sight.html]. There are also "firearms regulated by the Firearms Act", i.e. these are the "real guns according to Canadian law".

Feels silly, but it is what it is. Here are some more details:

“Firearm” means a barrelled weapon from which any shot, bullet, or other projectile can be discharged and that is capable of causing serious bodily injury or death to a person, and includes any frame or receiver of such a barrelled weapon and anything that can be adapted for use as a firearm.

How does the Crown prove that it’s a firearm?

As defined, a firearm must be capable of causing serious bodily injury or death to a person. In order to determine this the Firearms Section of the Forensic Laboratory for the Royal Mounted Canadian Police conducted a study to determine at what muzzle velocity a BB fired from a gun would penetrate a pig’s eye. While not identical to the human eye, it’s was a close approximation. BBs were shot at a distance of 10 feet into the corneas of pig eyes with a pump-action BB gun.

They published their findings in the article “Velocity Necessary For a BB To Penetrate The Eye: An Experimental Study Using Pigs Eyes.” Their conclusion was “due to the nearly identical size and anatomy of the human eye to the pig eyes used in this study, it is felt that 264 ft/sec is a reasonable approximation of the velocity needed to penetrate the human eye.”

They found that at this velocity, the BB would penetrate the pig’s eye 50% of the time. Lower velocity BBs would still sometimes penetrate the eye, while sometimes a higher velocity BBs would fail to penetrate the eye.

In cases that are alleged to involve the use of a firearm, the investigating officer will seize the weapon for forensic testing. It will be sent to a lab with a request to test whether the firearm is capable of firing, and if not, what steps need to be taken to make it capable of firing, along with an assessment of the muzzle velocity expressed in feet per second.

ref: http://www.winnipegcriminaldefencelawyer.ca/firearm-defined

I'm using the language of the law. Being a firearm does not have anything to do with the 500fps condition. i.e. the firearm act only regulates a specific subset of firearms. There are plenty of unregulated firearms, such as Nerf guns, and pen tubes used to fire spitballs, and, for example: Crosman Full-Auto A4-P BB Pistol w/Red Dot Sight [https://www.airgunsource.ca/us/crosman-full-auto-a4-p-bb-pistol-w-red-dot-sight.html]. There are also "firearms regulated by the Firearms Act", i.e. these are the "real guns according to Canadian law".

Feels silly, but it is what it is. Here are some more details:

“Firearm” means a barrelled weapon from which any shot, bullet, or other projectile can be discharged and that is capable of causing serious bodily injury or death to a person, and includes any frame or receiver of such a barrelled weapon and anything that can be adapted for use as a firearm.

How does the Crown prove that it’s a firearm?

As defined, a firearm must be capable of causing serious bodily injury or death to a person. In order to determine this the Firearms Section of the Forensic Laboratory for the Royal Mounted Canadian Police conducted a study to determine at what muzzle velocity a BB fired from a gun would penetrate a pig’s eye. While not identical to the human eye, it’s was a close approximation. BBs were shot at a distance of 10 feet into the corneas of pig eyes with a pump-action BB gun.

They published their findings in the article “Velocity Necessary For a BB To Penetrate The Eye: An Experimental Study Using Pigs Eyes.” Their conclusion was “due to the nearly identical size and anatomy of the human eye to the pig eyes used in this study, it is felt that 264 ft/sec is a reasonable approximation of the velocity needed to penetrate the human eye.”

They found that at this velocity, the BB would penetrate the pig’s eye 50% of the time. Lower velocity BBs would still sometimes penetrate the eye, while sometimes a higher velocity BBs would fail to penetrate the eye.

In cases that are alleged to involve the use of a firearm, the investigating officer will seize the weapon for forensic testing. It will be sent to a lab with a request to test whether the firearm is capable of firing, and if not, what steps need to be taken to make it capable of firing, along with an assessment of the muzzle velocity expressed in feet per second.

ref: http://www.winnipegcriminaldefencelawyer.ca/firearm-defined

Does more than feel a bit silly. It's embarrassing, unfortunately the GTA and the East decide our leadership and the rest of us have to deal with it.

Way she goes bubbs. 

Reactions: delooper
@ Darlym It would be nice if you had something relevant and intelligent to add to the thread Very basically... Airguns shooting over 500 fps ... you need a PAL license...POSSESSION AQUISITION LICENSE. Under 500 fps no license required. If it is an air pistol shooting over 500 fps a RPAL is required.....RESTRICTED POSSESSION ACQUISITION LICENSE. Your movement of these is restricted!....rifles no problem. Any airgun that can be fired in an automatic mode (just holding the trigger down) are prohibited.

There are no legal over 500fps air pistols available in Canada to my understanding. Rpal holder or not. 

Reactions: delooper
Back to our topic section with "air pistols". The definition of "air pistol" is mainly coming from what was printed on the original box from the manufacturer. And this is a catch for lawmakers just picture it as the monkey would catch the banana. All the monologue (and not a conversation) will be running around that wording in the court if you get there.

I was extensively studying this specific dictionary a year ago when I was developing accessories and power upgrades for the PP750. I don't have the original box anymore to confirm, but I was getting this same pointing out from experts no matter what I do....I replaced the barrel from 8" to 11" and then to 20"....we got always back to a starting point that it is a pistol. I asked them finally what if buy that same PP750 as loose parts in a nylon bag? They said even in Canadian forums that it is a pistol.

I gave up arguing and I just abandoned the project, got a L2 for myself.

Forget about getting a clear answer about Canadian Gun Laws, even when asking the RCMP or the government.

As an example, it's been over 25 years since they (the government) introduce the notion of "variant" to describe and classify firearm. They used this "new" definition to make some firearms prohibited and even used it to confiscate stuff...

- Oddly enough, there are no legal nor technical definition of what constitute a "variant"

DO NOT talk to the RMCP about this. Cops are not a valid legal authority

Do talk to the local prosecutor, or better yet, whatever the Canadian equivalent of an Attorney General is for your municipality or province( the higher ranking the better). Get their name, take notes during the conversation. If you can get them to cite "chapter and verse" about the particulars you are concerned with

Lot of work, I admit, but wayyyyyy cheaper than defending yourself after being arrested

Reactions: sltech