Cannot remove pellet from air pistol barrel

I just bought a Sig Sauer P226 air pistol and was only able to shoot 28 pellets before one got stuck in the barrel. I have not been able to remove it because it is stuck in there pretty good. Sig Sauer says I am probably using the wrong kind of pellet and offered no other information or support for removing it. Can someone help me? Thank you.

Patrick

wooden dowel rod that is just barely loose in the barrel. Go from breach muzzle, and tap the thing out.

You may need to cut a couple, so that there's only a little unsupported length sticking out. and just swap out as you drive it backward.

You can probably just hit the entire unit downward on a table or the floor.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThomasT
wooden dowel rod that is just barely loose in the barrel. Go from breach, and tap the thing out.

You may need to cut a couple, so that there's only a little unsupported length sticking out. and just swap out as you drive it backward.

You can probably just hit the entire unit downward on a table or the floor.
I cannot access the breach area and I am afraid to start taking the pistol apart

It might work better driving it backwards from the muzzle. I think that's what @Miami Airgunner may have meant to say.
Remove the magazine and hopefully there's enough of a chamber space at the breech for the pellet to fall out once you tap it far enough.
Indeed it is. I am half asleep at the moment. Thanks for the catch!

Reactions: Richfromohio
It might work better driving it backwards from the muzzle. I think that's what @Miami Airgunner may have meant to say.
Remove the magazine and hopefully there's enough of a chamber space at the breech for the pellet to fall out once you tap it far enough.
Yes, I have tried that, but that darn pellet will not move. I am afraid of damaging the pistol, but it is worthless to me at this point anyway. Thanks.

Sig Sauer says I am probably using the wrong kind of pellet

Classic.... Did you ask them what they recomend? When (or if) they answer then you say " well that the one thats stuck"

Ya, it blows to have somthing stuck then if a .177 thats twice the fun.. not much working room.

There was a thread here maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago with a lot of tips/ suggestions on what to do or try.. ya , it blows , been there ,done that.. dont look forward to that nextime .

Looking ng at the user reviews at sig i dont know... When you see stuff like there service is a to bad so sad policy or thing as this ...

here's the caveat: the gun might not shoot for 2 reasons ... because the pellet gets stuck in the magazine or because it gets stuck in the barrel. Because most pellets got stuck in the magazine, I didn't check the barrel of my first air gun after every shot (thinking they didn't leave the magazine). Eventually, after a few rounds I realized that the pellets were stuck in the barrel. I tried to remove them with a rod, but I couldn't and I had to through away the first air gun.

If like him and there stacked driving out may not be a option cause the driving may swell / mushroom the pellets and stick them in even harder.

You may need to devolve a screw type puller to dig in to and grab the first and pull them out one at a time .

maybe try a penetrating oil down the barrel and let sit overnight , WD40 might work but it is not oil really . Prop the gun muzzle up and fill the barrel let sit .
very light oil , Sewing machine oil is good for this , I have found this is a slow but effective way to unstick many items less chance of damage.
you still need to tap it out

Last edited:
Reactions: rayroz
Hello @pspringle ,

You will need a 12" long or longer drill bit of the correct size. The correct size will be one that will barely fit inside the "soda straw" or equal plastic tube as listed below. Most likely a 1/8" or 5/32" will be the one.

Now insert the "soda straw" or equal plastic tube down the barrel until it reaches the pellet (s) and apply plenty of lube oil and let it rest for several minutes.

Next insert the drill bit and very slowly and carefully hand drill into the pellet (s) and remove the drill bit often to clear all lead findings. If there is only one pellet it should not take long to drill completely through. Remove the drill bit and the tube and proceed with the wood dowel process.

Hope this will help,
ThomasT

I'm the one that links posted lead to so TRUST ME! Been there done that!
In your case, a shorter drill bit will work. Maybe a 6 or 8" long bit.
Might be better to take the barrel out and drill from the breech end as the .177 pellets have the cup at that end to help center the bit.
If that's not an option, try the straw as suggested. Before starting to drill. Put the bit in and tap it with a hammer to get a centering point started to help avoid drill wobble.

Hello @pspringle ,

You will need a 12" long or longer drill bit of the correct size. The correct size will be one that will barely fit inside the "soda straw" or equal plastic tube as listed below. Most likely a 1/8" or 5/32" will be the one.

Now insert the "soda straw" or equal plastic tube down the barrel until it reaches the pellet (s) and apply plenty of lube oil and let it rest for several minutes.

Next insert the drill bit and very slowly and carefully hand drill into the pellet (s) and remove the drill bit often to clear all lead findings. If there is only one pellet it should not take long to drill completely through. Remove the drill bit and the tube and proceed with the wood dowel process.

Hope this will help,
ThomasT
Thanks, I will try that.

I took my first gen apart when I first got it to get rid of the slide slop/barrel stabilization & valve adjustment.
Super easy.
I've never taken a video but this is probably the best one for you.

This can clear a jam but ALWAYS use plenty o f lube/barrel cleaner or Fluid Film.
Get yourself:

Most common mistake people make is not using a pellet pen to properly seat their pellets.
I like this one far better than the Crosman pellet pen.
At least with rotary mags there is a physical small "click" that occurs.
Rotate the pellet wheel with your thumb real quick and you'll know if a pellet is too far forward in the mag or not.

DO NOT USE POINTED TIPPED PELLETS. They're too long and will always jam.
I use H&N hollow points exclusively and they hit HARD.

View attachment 304790
Thanks a lot for the information, very helpful.