Cans just for targets?

crowski

Dec 14, 2020
On, Canada
For a week I’ve had a persistent Robin trying to make a nest over my back door. I let it happen 5-6 years ago, I learned my lesson. This bird has made a mess like no tomorrow. Fantastic place to nest, watch movies at nite. I kept taking it down to the point where I had to put my empty cans for targets up to discourage it, thought I had played the trump card. No this morning I hear a thump. I took a picture you can see the Robin persistant than ever. Don’t want to track bird crap into my house.
4544F9C8-871D-46D2-A951-8676FF001406.jpeg
Guns lined up for today. May be another battle or two, but I’ll win the war. Crow

I have the same problem. The entrance door to my cabin is on the side of the house, the trim above the door is just a few inches below the eve of the roof. I guess this is what makes it an ideal location for a nesting bird but as you pointed out... not for the home owner. Because this is my mountain retreat I am not present full time yet, so the little buggers have a fairly good success rate. I was there last week and cleared away a mess of mud, moss and twigs on day one. For three days she spent hours trying to rebuild. I gave it one last cleaning before I left, we'll see how determined she is when I get back up there. It would break my heart if she kept on and completed it. I hope not, I don't think I have the stones to rip it down at that point.

Have you considered setting something up for it to nest in besides that area?

The reason that I ask is that I like birds. Robins in particular. This is Fred. I picked her up while mowing the front yard and spent ten days raising her the rest of the way. Took her all over W-NC and east Tennessee on the motorcycle. She must have crapped on me fifty times and cost me $20 in worms. I'd do it all again.

IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0089.JPG

DSCF3067.JPG

Cheers,

J~

I have the same problem. The entrance door to my cabin is on the side of the house, the trim above the door is just a few inches below the eve of the roof. I guess this is what makes it an ideal location for a nesting bird but as you pointed out... not for the home owner. Because this is my mountain retreat I am not present full time yet, so the little buggers have a fairly good success rate. I was there last week and cleared away a mess of mud, moss and twigs on day one. For three days she spent hours trying to rebuild. I gave it one last cleaning before I left, we'll see how determined she is when I get back up there. It would break my heart if she kept on and completed it. I hope not, I don't think I have the stones to rip it down at that point.
I’m not a gambler but I’m putting my money on the bird. Good luck.
Have you considered setting something up for it to nest in besides that area?

The reason that I ask is that I like birds. Robins in particular. This is Fred. I picked her up while mowing the front yard and spent ten days raising her the rest of the way. Took her all over W-NC and east Tennessee on the motorcycle. She must have crapped on me fifty times and cost me $20 in worms. I'd do it all again.

View attachment 351859View attachment 351860
View attachment 351861

Cheers,

J~
I live in the forest. My porch is covered, it’s a perfect place for her, but way too messy. Did it before.
Good luck with Fred. 👍 Crow

Reactions: Treefrog
An unusually persistent Stellar’s Jay was building a nest just inside a hole in the eaves. The dawn sound of it moving sticks around in there ticked me off, and I knew there would be guano under there, right at the door.

I kept removing the sticks, and by next morning it was back at it. It piled them up on the ground below, flying off to accumulate more before working on the nest itself. Every.freaking.day. Finally, one day I was lucky enough to have the bird WATCHING ME as I threw the sticks away. Like it had been wondering who kept stealing them, LOL. I looked right at it, and it stared at me, highly unusual behavior. I said, “Not THERE!”

Very smart birds, corvids are! After that, it never tried to build there again. We had plenty of pine trees right near that spot, so they didn’t lack for suitable places.

Last edited:
W
I have the same problem. The entrance door to my cabin is on the side of the house, the trim above the door is just a few inches below the eve of the roof. I guess this is what makes it an ideal location for a nesting bird but as you pointed out... not for the home owner. Because this is my mountain retreat I am not present full time yet, so the little buggers have a fairly good success rate. I was there last week and cleared away a mess of mud, moss and twigs on day one. For three days she spent hours trying to rebuild. I gave it one last cleaning before I left, we'll see how determined she is when I get back up there. It would break my heart if she kept on and completed it. I hope not, I don't think I have the stones to rip it down at that point
For a week I’ve had a persistent Robin trying to make a nest over my back door. I let it happen 5-6 years ago, I learned my lesson. This bird has made a mess like no tomorrow. Fantastic place to nest, watch movies at nite. I kept taking it down to the point where I had to put my empty cans for targets up to discourage it, thought I had played the trump card. No this morning I hear a thump. I took a picture you can see the Robin persistant than ever. Don’t want to track bird crap into my house. View attachment 351856Guns lined up for today. May be another battle or two, but I’ll win the war. Crow
“...watch movies at nite...” LOL. Great photo showing its prime viewing seat!

There are books and other guides to building species-specific bird houses, if you decide to provide a better home site.

I’m starting to fit this all together. I’ve been sweeping the grass and nest material for the last week. I shoot daily 2-3 hrs. Last week I go to set up in morning and there’s bird crap on my leather mount
E3D8C381-8BCF-4F74-AC6A-A584C57B1175.jpeg
Not once but twice. That’s not enough. She crapped where I lean.
323ED2F3-1A45-420D-9E00-CAFFF5097D16.jpeg
Bad manners. I shake it off as bad luck. Wash it and dry off for a day. Clean the table.
This bird in its past life was a witch! Next morning. This is getting personal,
7145E64F-7436-4B80-9A5E-5B51E40DDDE3.jpeg
The rest in front was 8 feet away I moved here for pic. It crapped on both my rests. Coincidence and bad luck just went out the window. So I’ve been battling Fred’s cousin with dignity and this morning at 7:15 I have to rearrange my cans. Doesn’t end there. I jump in my side by side to go get the mail. Her magistrate cleaned my windshield
9B75C81F-8532-410A-AE8A-3E831C431386.jpeg
Crow

That is so Cool! Does Fred still hang around you?

Thank you. That was in 2016. I picked her up at my parents' place, so I had to let her go there. On the tenth day she decided that it was time to fly away. The cherry trees were in full-fruit so I didn't worry much about her. She was pretty round when I let her go anyway. Every time I mowed their yard or visited over there, she would land nearby and watch me, but she never landed in my hands again. It made all the time I spent digging up worms and catching bugs worth it. (Night-crawlers are too fast!) She built a nest at the neighbor's house the next spring and then had two sets of chicks a year for the next five years. I lost track of her after that. They only live about six years, so she's likely gone by now. Here's another couple of pics. Bird in the hand...

IMG_0028.JPG

DSCF3045.JPG

I can tell you that if you want to meet the chicks, carry a baby bird around. Its like magic. ;) The response on FB was epic!

J~

Being in a complex environment (marsh, scrub, hardwood bush and field) we have over 60 species of birds we share the property with.

Most are good neighbors that keep a respectful distance... you don't want to mess with nesting geese - trust me on that!

Chickadees and nuthatches will come to hand for seeds and there's our raven (named Gomez) who cleans up chipmunks and other pests I've taken care of.

For a week I’ve had a persistent Robin trying to make a nest over my back door. I let it happen 5-6 years ago, I learned my lesson. This bird has made a mess like no tomorrow. Fantastic place to nest, watch movies at nite. I kept taking it down to the point where I had to put my empty cans for targets up to discourage it, thought I had played the trump card. No this morning I hear a thump. I took a picture you can see the Robin persistant than ever. Don’t want to track bird crap into my house. View attachment 351856Guns lined up for today. May be another battle or two, but I’ll win the war. Crow
I've used a piece of that 1/4" mesh hardware cloth hung (temporarily) on two screws to deny access to nesting spots too close to the house. The birds are on a time schedule so if you can deter them for a couple of weeks they'll be forced to find another nesting site. Good luck!

Here is a nice way to discourage pest birds. I have House Sparrows I would love to wage war on with a pellet rifle or pistol. However living in a condominium it is verboten. I use this stuff to great effect keep the damn House Sparrows at least off my deck and trees. Damn I hate House Sparrows, they crap all over my deck and furniture.

Crow, I would shoot that damn bird for crapping on your bags. She crossed a line dammit!

I once lived in a house on the edge of town. It was on 2.5 acres and the previous owner had a huge garden and vegetable stand. There were 26 trees on the property and we had birds, hundreds of birds.
Mrs. Chukar and I were elated with them. Chirping, flying around and waking every morning to their songs.
That was the first two weeks. Then it was every vehicle plastered with bird poop, nests everywhere we did not want them and the worst were the black birds. They were quite aggressive. When they went after my 2 year old granddaughter and scratched her scalp it was war.
I went to the local sporting goods store and bought a 177 break barrel with a scope. Any black bird that showed aggression was eliminated, every starling I could get in my sights got shot along with the sparrows.
Within a month we had reached a balance and the black birds decided it was not such a great place to live after all.
I like birds, but like any animal they need to be a good member of the community or we make adjustments.

Being in a complex environment (marsh, scrub, hardwood bush and field) we have over 60 species of birds we share the property with.

Most are good neighbors that keep a respectful distance... you don't want to mess with nesting geese - trust me on that!

Chickadees and nuthatches will come to hand for seeds and there's our raven (named Gomez) who cleans up chipmunks and other pests I've taken care of.
Oh ya Geese hate them. Our national bird. I’m on 325 ft. frontage. Always on the watch for them. Right now they’re nesting here. Laser pen works great. Crow.
I've used a piece of that 1/4" mesh hardware cloth hung (temporarily) on two screws to deny access to nesting spots too close to the house. The birds are on a time schedule so if you can deter them for a couple of weeks they'll be forced to find another nesting site. Good luck!
Here’s my screen. Crow
Here is a nice way to discourage pest birds. I have House Sparrows I would love to wage war on with a pellet rifle or pistol. However living in a condominium it is verboten. I use this stuff to great effect keep the damn House Sparrows at least off my deck and trees. Damn I hate House Sparrows, they crap all over my deck and furniture.

Crow, I would shoot that damn bird for crapping on your bags. She crossed a line dammit!
( had to wash my deck twice. He craped on both holds same day and they were 6-8 ft apart.
ADE11DF4-DB0A-438D-848A-160D3E36357C.jpeg
If it was a squirrel it would be lethal lead poisoning. This guy gets a pass. Crow
Thanks I’ll check that out. I spray for spiders and it’s awsome, no webs around lites. Crow
I once lived in a house on the edge of town. It was on 2.5 acres and the previous owner had a huge garden and vegetable stand. There were 26 trees on the property and we had birds, hundreds of birds.
Mrs. Chukar and I were elated with them. Chirping, flying around and waking every morning to their songs.
That was the first two weeks. Then it was every vehicle plastered with bird poop, nests everywhere we did not want them and the worst were the black birds. They were quite aggressive. When they went after my 2 year old granddaughter and scratched her scalp it was war.
I went to the local sporting goods store and bought a 177 break barrel with a scope. Any black bird that showed aggression was eliminated, every starling I could get in my sights got shot along with the sparrows.
Within a month we had reached a balance and the black birds decided it was not such a great place to live after all.
I like birds, but like any animal they need to be a good member of the community or we make adjustments.
I have no problem with them as well. I just had a big Bald Eagle fly on my shore. Really cool watching them fish. I see everything up here. Like I said I let one keep a nest over my door once. Bad idea. Crow

Thank you. That was in 2016. I picked her up at my parents' place, so I had to let her go there. On the tenth day she decided that it was time to fly away. The cherry trees were in full-fruit so I didn't worry much about her. She was pretty round when I let her go anyway. Every time I mowed their yard or visited over there, she would land nearby and watch me, but she never landed in my hands again. It made all the time I spent digging up worms and catching bugs worth it. (Night-crawlers are too fast!) She built a nest at the neighbor's house the next spring and then had two sets of chicks a year for the next five years. I lost track of her after that. They only live about six years, so she's likely gone by now. Here's another couple of pics. Bird in the hand...

View attachment 351895

View attachment 351896

I can tell you that if you want to meet the chicks, carry a baby bird around. Its like magic. ;) The response on FB was epic!

J~
Wonderful photos! A bird in hand...means poop in the hand, too.

I think robins do remember individual human faces, like crows do. I once found an exhausted baby robin on our back deck, gave it shelter, water, and (yep) cherries picked from the tree at our yard's boundary, and took it to the local bird rehab person. The baby had a broken wing, it turned out. It was brought back to our home spot, along with 6 other babies, because the state park a block away was robin heaven. They all flew off after the boxes were opened, as intended.

Some weeks later, "my" now-larger-juvenile robin perched on a utility line that ran directly in front a of a large slanted skylight, peering in at me. NO other birds except "my" crows ever sat there. The crows had claimed it as theirs. Right after I noticed the robin looking at me, the crows jeered it away. I asked a bird-knowledgeable person if robins remembered faces? She said she was absolutely sure they did, if exposed to a person the way this one had, even though it was only for one day and night. But that because it had been returned to the wild and was maturing, not to expect it to hang around once grown up.

You are lucky to see Freddie return every year!

(And what an odd set of comments inserted in a thread about shooting a pesky individual robin. Sort of like when one of "my" crows jumped a fallen baby robin and shredded it to eat. On the one hand I felt bad, because I like both crows and robins. On the other hand, this is the way that nature does things.)

This morning I’m having my Java, still waking up, l hear a noise. Thinking it’s the elevator hydraulics I go on enjoy my coffee. Twenty minutes later my eye catches movement where it shouldn’t. That bird started again by moving the cans.
IMG_5454.jpeg
I open the door, they fly on my driveway. More mess.
IMG_5455.jpeg
I won’t shoot them but I wish they would close that window to lay eggs. This is my front door.
IMG_5456.jpeg
As I’m writing this he’s still trying.
IMG_5457.jpeg
Reminds me of my sister. Crow

Reactions: jetpopt