Carbon Fiber Craze

A couple of years ago I recall a few members wrapping their reservoirs and barrels with carbon fiber wrap. It was novel at the time. Some did a very good job with theirs. Then more members were doing it and I thought, “Well if you like it, good for you.” Now manufacturers are shipping guns that look like DIY cosmetic jobs that hobbyists were doing in years past. I for one don’t like the look on my guns. That’s just my preference.

My questions are, do any members know if the carbon fiber seen on modern air rifles (aside from the carbon fiber bottles on bottle guns) serves any purpose besides maybe protecting the metal from scratches or protecting the finish? If it’s not a carbon fiber air reservoir, does wrapping it in a carbon fiber wrap have an added benefit to the reservoir? I’m asking because I don’t know.

@Firewalker I think I saw something about a carbon fiber barrel stiffener or something like that, so that makes sense. What about on the reservoir? The shroud?

Wrap is completely superficial, it helps with abrasion only. CF shrouds are very still and light weight.

I installed mine as a barrel stiffener plus it looks nice and carbon bottles can hold more preasure
Screenshot_20240722_090437_Gallery.jpg

When i changed from 600 to 700 mm barrel on my Maverick, buying the longer FX barrel shroud and sleeve was way too expensive.
So i got 3 X 1 M carbon fiber pipes from China, each fitting into the other with a light suction fit ( after some sanding ) and finally onto the FX barrel sleeve i extended with a +100 mm adapter.
That worked just fine for many years, with the one problem that the CF pipes would bend the barrel ever so slightly, so you had to be mindful of the indexing of my setup.
Though not a problem CUZ i never pulled the barrel , just the liner once in a while to clean it.

Making carbon fiber tanks, you have to start with a ALU inner tank,,,,,, not only for the properties of CF in general, but also you need something to thread your tank valve´into, and CF alone would be too fragile.

It is like some knife steels, they might hold a edge really good but can then be very fragile otherwise, and a good edge is nothing if it is chipped.