Carbon Fiber Craze

Yupper, the fibers are wound around the aluminum in bundles at a diagonal with careful attention to not overlap and build up 'knotts' of fiber. Then an epoxy is soaked in and the tanks are put in a vacuum to pull out bubbles and draw the epoxy into the fibers.

The aluminum liner is really a bladder, it's thin enough to save a lot of weight but thick enough to keep hpa from escaping.

Carbon fiber is just the exterior shell, static and non-plastic, it keeps the liner in situ.

Reactions: Smitty911
I think I mentioned this last week in in some other thread, but the main reason CF is used to wrap aluminum bottles is to protect the bottle when being treated roughly of course, but CF greatly extends both the max pressure of the vessel, but also its longevity because ir prevent the loss of fatigue strength as it greatly limits the bottles rate of swelling when pressurized.

@Firewalker I think I saw something about a carbon fiber barrel stiffener or something like that, so that makes sense. What about on the reservoir? The shroud?
I have one installed on the Maverick. It's like a carbon fiber straw that fits snugly over the barrel. It may have added some accuracy and consistency but I don't think it was much. The gun shot very well before and after installation. Adding it didn't degrade anything, may not have improved anything either.

Reactions: Firewalker
Let’s assume that the average airgunner applying carbon fiber wrap to the reservoir on their airgun is not wrapping it in a fashion that will reinforce the material that the reservoir is made of. Here’s an example of what I’m talking about.

IMG_6184.jpeg

I’m also skeptical that the GK1 reservoir is a genuine carbon fiber vessel. Anyone know for sure?
IMG_6185.jpeg

Let’s assume that the average airgunner applying carbon fiber wrap to the reservoir on their airgun is not wrapping it in a fashion that will reinforce the material that the reservoir is made of. Here’s an example of what I’m talking about.

View attachment 493454

I’m also skeptical that the GK1 reservoir is a genuine carbon fiber vessel. Anyone know for sure?
View attachment 493455
I'm pretty sure the reservoir is titanium. I doubt the carbon is real.

I have one installed on the Maverick. It's like a carbon fiber straw that fits snugly over the barrel. It may have added some accuracy and consistency but I don't think it was much. The gun shot very well before and after installation. Adding it didn't degrade anything, may not have improved anything either.

Yes, I have them for my Maverick as well.

My CF addiction started in the 90ties with fishing rods.
And i still got them, just done use them any more.

I did contemplate putting CF wrap on all the glass of the PC case i got for my next build, but things have drawn out and now i think throw that brand new case in the bin, and buy a newer one that need less work to be acceptable to me.
Too bad you can barely get ANY PC case without cutouts for mesh or even worse windows.

So, if someone is referring to "wrapping" their barrel or bottle, that probably won't be CF - its most likely is going be a look-alike, probably vinyl. Joe Consumer can buy & apply CF cloth, just like fiberglass, but to apply it to something small & round like a barrel or tube would be a pain, and I don't see the point. Unless, there's something newer on the market that I haven't seen, which is quite possible.

Now, to me it looks like the AEA rifle above doesn't have CF on the air tube, but rather "X" vinyl shrink wrap:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FVMYHQP/

Reactions: kayaker
What would make a really tough and easy to apply protective finish would be heat shrink. We use it at work in diameters up to 2" and it's some tough stuff that's also pretty easy to remove. It wouldn't look half as nice as fake carbon fiber though.
@Sawney Bean I think @heavy-impact used some on a Bulldog stock once. It may have been vinyl I’m not sure.

Last edited: