• *The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Carbon Fiber Shroud with 3D printed moderator for AGT Vixen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was surprised that a little 0.177 Vixen short was louder than my Edgun 0.25 R5M long. So I tested some 3D printed moderators that were 2" longer that stuck out of shroud and screwed into the shroud and barrel. They were all quieter than OEM. So I decided to buy a CF tube and make a 2" longer shroud and this is the results. It is noticeably quieter while also being only 197 grams vs. 288 for the OEM version.

I used the hair curler design with cones, wrapping the 1st section with 6mm of cork and the 2rd and 3rd section with a combo of felt and foam. I also filled the shroud with a sheet of coiled up cork. I'm sure with more changes and testing it could be even quieter but it already much better than stock and new designs and testing take a lot of time.

PXL_20221029_012617716[1].jpg

PXL_20221029_003348866[1].jpg

PXL_20221028_102017210[1].jpg

I was using PETG that strings much more than pla. Since I have a printer that has a 18-in Bowden tube pretty hard to print PETG at any reasonable speeds without stringing. I didn't want to heat it up with heat gun to reduce the strings because they don't really hurt anything but look bad and may distort the part. Ashley this printhead some gross errors with unsupported overhangs that I shouldn't have had there. But it worked nevertheless. Although the accuracy so far I believe is not quite as good as the OEM shroud I may have to open up the holes a little bit.

I was using PETG that strings much more than pla. Since I have a printer that has a 18-in Bowden tube pretty hard to print PETG at any reasonable speeds without stringing. I didn't want to heat it up with heat gun to reduce the strings because they don't really hurt anything but look bad and may distort the part. Ashley this printhead some gross errors with unsupported overhangs that I shouldn't have had there. But it worked nevertheless. Although the accuracy so far I believe is not quite as good as the OEM shroud I may have to open up the holes a little bit.
Have you managed to refine the part?

I was surprised that a little 0.177 Vixen short was louder than my Edgun 0.25 R5M long. So I tested some 3D printed moderators that were 2" longer that stuck out of shroud and screwed into the shroud and barrel. They were all quieter than OEM. So I decided to buy a CF tube and make a 2" longer shroud and this is the results. It is noticeably quieter while also being only 197 grams vs. 288 for the OEM version.

I used the hair curler design with cones, wrapping the 1st section with 6mm of cork and the 2rd and 3rd section with a combo of felt and foam. I also filled the shroud with a sheet of coiled up cork. I'm sure with more changes and testing it could be even quieter but it already much better than stock and new designs and testing take a lot of time.

View attachment 301090

View attachment 301091

View attachment 301092

Wondering if it would be possible to get a copy of your stl file as would love to print one for my vixen?

I have a vixen long @ 20 fpe. I was similarly disappointed by the stock shroud. It's hard to get more quiet without going longer. The 50mm dia doesn't really provide that much benefit over 40 or even 30mm (I've done a bit of experimenting.) It's a shame, because I would have guessed that huge can was an asset.

I used a 40mm CF tube for my shroud. My first designs were similar to the OEM one and it's really hard to avoid strings. Trying to figure out how to make the felt effective, while making it easier to print, is how I came up with the idea of using gyroid infill to make porous walls (see the porous moderator thread for the details.)

Current design uses a TPU insert... that material is amazing for moderator internals. It's super tough. Has perfect layer adhesion. The felt was a bit of a pain to work with so I would up using a solid walled design, with more sophisticated baffles modeled in. This is what it looks like with 40mm dia:

The smaller diameter has the added benefit of no POI shift if you lean on the front hand guard. There is much more clearance.

The only 50mm tubing I could find cheap took a slow boat to get here. I was pretty much happy with my 40mm design by the time it got here.

View attachment 301090

View attachment 301091

View attachment 301092
Hello, I was wondering if you have measurments off the tube you used and if you'd like to share the print fils off the muffler......I would be very much obliged. Thanks in advance, Mike from the Netherlands.

View attachment 301090

View attachment 301091

View attachment 301092
Hello, I was wondering if you have measurments off the tube you used and if you'd like to share the print fils off the muffler......I would be very much obliged. Thanks in advance, Mike from the Netherlands.

Could you give a little more detail on how you vented the inner tube to the outer one?
All I did was make a conventional 32mm carbon moderator with 3 baffle washers and 4cages wrapped in felt.that screwed to the end of the barrel.
The 50mm carbon outer is the total length from block to moderator end cap. The end cap of the 50mm was recessed to slip over the end of the moderator. At the block end there was a 50mm shroud support that was held in place by a grubscrew, the carbon was fitted over that and also held in place by a grubscrew. The inside of the 50mm was lightly packed with upholstery wading.
I drilled 6x1.5mm holes through the 32 mm carbon of the first chamber of the moderator. When a shot is fired the air passes into the moderator then out through the vent holes into the outer shroud, when the pellet exits the moderator the air in the shroud bleeds back into the moderator and out.

I was going to fit a rubber sleeve cut from the finger of a rubber glove over the 6 vent holes in the mod to act as a one way valve to allow the air to pass into to shroud but after the first test it was so quiet I really couldn’t be bothered 😁

Reactions: subscriber

View attachment 301090

View attachment 301091

View attachment 301092
Hello, sorry to contact you again but; do you have the printfiles for these items?

Hello, can you help me to the print file off the muffler?

View attachment 301090

View attachment 301091

View attachment 301092
Hello, can you help me to the print file off the muffler?

Status
Not open for further replies.