Cheap compressors - my perspective

I see a lot of debate about the value proposition of buying cheap Chinese compressors. Main complaints seem to be 1) lack of parts 2) lack of warranty and 3) they only last about 20 hours of run time.

I bought a $290 no name compressor from Alibaba about 4 months ago and I have filled my rifle 65 times with no problems. I figure if I can get 20 hours out of it at 6 minutes per fill and 60 shots per fill, then I'm shooting 12,000 pellets for about 2.5 cents each. If the pellets cost about 3.5 cents each, then I'm having a helluva lot of fun for 6 cents a shot. I'm pretty sure I've spent more money on much dumber things hobby-wise. If it dies somewhere around 20 hours, then I'll just toss it, buy another one and have no regrets. Sure, it's a bit of a gamble, but in my mind it's worth it - especially since it doesn't take up any space and I'm not very handy when it comes to maintaining a big compressor.

Newtopcp,

Sounds like you've found a winning combination for your HPA filling needs. The oil-less/water-less compressors offer remote location convenience and, as long as you can afford it, replace as needed. I purchased a Yong Heng a few months ago for $270, on eBay, and while it doesn't provide remote location convenience, it will fill portable tanks, to accomplish the same goal. With water and oil cooling, availability of inexpensive replacement parts, and prudent usage, I hope to benefit from this compressor for many years. Since I can't afford the expensive compressors, nor to replace a compressor every twenty hours of use, or so, I think the Yong Heng is my best answer for HPA filling.

WM

well said, and if you use it with reasonable care and arnt the type that just sits and shoots 100s of rds a day it will likely last several years .. that certainly saves wearing out a couple of handpumps and theyre worth every nickle ... but yeah if shooting is your life and you nonstop shoot 24/7 365 you need an industrial grade pump to keep up with that kind of obsessive behavior lol ...

The YH was a sizable investment for me as "disposable cash" is an oxymoron in this household. I've babied mine from day one & always follow the same filling & cooling procedure. I never empty my tanks & top off when needed. I keep records of run time & oil changes & keep up on routine maintenance. So far, so good. I've got rebuild parts on hand should I need them. Being air independent is a great thing but I'm fully aware you get what you pay for. Not expecting to go without problems sooner or later but I've no complaints so far. Had one leak the first month but was quickly fixed with a Dowty seal replacement. Smooth sailing with it for about 16 months now. I'm not unhappy with my initial decision to buy!

Gerry, I hear you on the cash flow🥺

Should I dive in, " babying" will be the order of the day.

Should I go down the water cooled route, I would also be on the look out for a bottle.

Reasons being, top up the bottle not the gun, for quicker, quieter gun refills, the ability to take the bottle with me, when taking the compressor is not an option, and as a fall back for when the compressor fails.

I really lucked out about 10 years ago, I snagged a Shelden Compressor Unit is 2.2 CFM with manual controls 220 volt single phase 3450 rpm electric motor ... Jim built these from the ground up with old parts

I do not remember what I paid for it , 1500 maybe, Its been trouble free just change the oil and clean the air filters,,, I know he sold quite a few air gun compressors before he retired,,,,, Anyone else got one??????

Fill a great white in about 15 minutes 

Mike

I really lucked out about 10 years ago, I snagged a Shelden Compressor Unit is 2.2 CFM with manual controls 220 volt single phase 3450 rpm electric motor ... Jim built these from the ground up with old parts

I do not remember what I paid for it , 1500 maybe, Its been trouble free just change the oil and clean the air filters,,, I know he sold quite a few air gun compressors before he retired,,,,, Anyone else got one??????

Fill a great white in about 15 minutes 

Mike

Jim is a great guy! I lucked across a Walter Kidde myself a couple of years ago. I do a lot of diving, and the closest dive shop is an hour and a half away. I gave $700 for the compressor (4.4 CFM) and changed motor and compressor oils. I repacked the filter tower, and added a remote air intake. I use Low Pressure steel doubles for diving, and usually fill to 4,000 psi. The WK's are great little compressors, in my opinion. When I had my purity test, the dew point came out at -69 degrees F. I do need to get ahold of Jim and pick up one of his CD's that covers the WK's.

DW