Classifieds restrictions

I totally understand the issues with scammers but why should those wanting to buy something through classifieds be restricted? The buyer is the one taking all the risks .I have money and had to watch a few rifles and several accessories I wanted go because I can't message the seller..
@Matt B. (SHOOK)
You and everyone else. Scores of people come to this site questioning this rule. Consider yourself fortunate. If it were up to some, new members and non-members would not be able to see the “classifieds” forum until granted that privilege. If you run a quick AGN search you will see many posts asking similar questions and whining about not being the exception to the rule. My suggestion is to wait out the waiting period (which it appears that you have already done), explore the site, read up on some of your areas of interest and interact with members of the community in a constructive manner. I’m not sure that posts lamenting this rule qualify towards a quality post count. Before you know it, you will have the privileges you seek. There are many similar deals that come and go. It likely won’t be the last deal that you see.

@Matt B. (SHOOK)
You and everyone else. Scores of people come to this site questioning this rule. Consider yourself fortunate. If it were up to some, new members and non-members would not be able to see the “classifieds” forum until granted that privilege. If you run a quick AGN search you will see many posts asking similar questions and whining about not being the exception to the rule. My suggestion is to wait out the waiting period (which it appears that you have already done), explore the site, read up on some of your areas of interest and interact with members of the community in a constructive manner. Before you know it, you will have the privileges you seek. There are many similar deals that come and go. It likely won’t be the last deal that you see.
Again the buyer is the one taking the risk .

Reactions: HappyPlinking
there will be other items for sell in no time at all if you become a participating member it will be to you benefit

i agree with Ezana4CE coment in that

"If it were up to some, new members and non-members would not be able to see the “classifieds” forum until granted that privilege."

only becuase it causes greif when you see something and cant post.

Reactions: beerthief
The buyer is not the only one exposed to risk in a transaction. He can pay with a service like PayPal and then lie and say the seller shipped him a box with 4 red bricks in it, and get the seller’s funds revoked.
one of the best reasons not to use PP , scammers in reverse.

The buyer is not the only one exposed to risk in a transaction. He can pay with a service like PayPal and then lie and say the seller shipped him a box with 4 red bricks in it, and get the seller’s funds revoked.

Add to that some members have been scammed with money orders, or bounced checks, many members of this community are much older and more susceptible to new and prevailing scams, it should be (to a degree) the forums responsibility to protect its community from these scams.

-Matt

I haven’t had to yet, but I’d probably take less from a known active member.

I’ve sold two rifles on here. One was to a new member, but I had a good phone conversation, then made the deal in person.
The other was a longer term member that I spoke to several times on the phone. Really good guy and we trusted each other. He sent me payment western union and I shipped same day. We kept in contact to verify he was happy with the rifle.

Unless I could meet in person, I doubt I’d ever sell a high ticket item to a new member, but that’s just me.

I’ve had a clutch of scammers try their antics with me. I’m wary.

The current system has proven to reduce scammers a bit. IMO it should be 1 month and 100 posts. I've been on other site where you have to contribute $10 a month to be allowed to post in the Classifieds.

Screen Shot 2023-10-31 at 1.29.45 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I now only deal in person ,face to face , Cash only . But even then you can get scammed , i drove 2 hours to get to an empty field .
@beerthief What? Who did this to you Stan?
@ctshooter Thats what I was thinking. Sounds like a robbery attempt.

It’s a good idea to meet at a gun range. You’re not getting in without ID and fat chance of getting away with funny business in there. I met a member at a gun range and it was a very comfortable environment. I even called the owner in advance to be sure it was ok. When I got there he remembered speaking with me. It was a good experience.

I totally understand the issues with scammers but why should those wanting to buy something through classifieds be restricted? The buyer is the one taking all the risks .I have money and had to watch a few rifles and several accessories I wanted go because I can't message the seller..
Because its to try to protect against scam buyers too. Its easy enough to reverse funds or have them sent from an unauthorized account.

I've posted things in fb marketplace and the amount of scam buyers is ridiculous. I agree with others that it should be far more than the 10/10. Sadly theres a reason the scammers list is so long.

Just be optimistic and realize that it wasnt meant to be if you couldnt buy something.

I now only deal in person ,face to face , Cash only . But even then you can get scammed , i drove 2 hours to get to an empty field .
One reason I always look up the place on google maps. I'd be instantly wary and suspicious if I saw nothing but a field on it.

Thankfully you were only out some gas and time not more.