Collectible airguns

Guns that are unusual and look cool often become collectible as do guns that people come to desire for their performance, like the Sig Asp or the S&W 78G. I suspect that the Black Bunker BM8 will become collectible, particularly if they cease production soon.

Some of the Chinese guns have become collectible, the QB57 for example.

Sometimes just plain weird guns become collectible as well. The Yewha 3B Dynamite was a cheap crude gun that is now highly collectible, so was the Farco shotgun. The Record Jumbo would be another weird collectible. I think that that Beeman springer that had two barrels and fired two pellets at once will also be a weird collectible.

Reactions: Paul Be Careful
I bought a Theoben Sirocco Deluxe for $500 in 1988. Highly collectable! Well, I've kept it extremely well and even have the original box and receipt. So I could likely get $1000 for it now. $500 profit!
Big deal, it didn't even outpace inflation............................
Yeah, but just imagine your hobby was golf or skiing instead. How much would your premium clubs or skis from 1988 be worth now?

All I do in the airgun space is collect vintage airguns. To me the collectability is the art of blued milled steel made in a time that will never come again. CNC machines have taken a lot of collectability out of current airguns? Bottom line is collectability of modern manufactured airgun will be pretty problematic. You would probably need a low production run that thus probably failed in the market place but years from now has some cool features? Good luck with that. View attachment 499451
Different things can create collectibility.
True - hand made
True - provenance
True - low production
True - rarity in some way
Take this Steyr ProX 10 - it is the hand tooled stock on a superb air rifle which creates the intrinsic value
IMG_6847.jpeg

IMG_6836.jpeg

Im courious what airgun you have, that has increased in value, if you care to share?
Below is a 1930’s German Tell 3 pistol that had a run of a little over 1000 before WW2 stopped production. A bit of a very rare mechanical masterpiece. Thia example sold very recently on Ebay for $1000 which is a pretty strong price even though it was a great example. I have several of these pistols which I am sure are worth more than what I paid for them. A large part of increase in value is having the knowledge and patience to buy it right. Also a fun part for me is the repair of vintage collectables that adds value. The pistol I first posted is a 1907 Westley Richards which I bought right in an auction probably because it didn’t have any grips. I made the ebony grips which really set it off. I’m sure I could probably double my money, the metal part is about mint, but one airgun I will never sell. These are two successes but I have had my share go south as well. And I am not immune to auction fever! lol.

IMG_2515.png

Last edited:
Below is a 1930’s German Tell 3 pistol that had a run of a little over 1000 before WW2 stopped production. A bit of a very rare mechanical masterpiece. Thia example sold very recently on Ebay for $1000 which is a pretty strong price even though it was a great example. I have several of these pistols which I am sure are worth more than what I paid for them. A large part of increase in value is having the knowledge and patience to buy it right. Also a fun part for me is the repair of vintage collectables that adds value. The pistol I first posted is a 1907 Westley Richards which I bought right in an auction probably because it didn’t have any grips. I made the ebony grips which really set it off. I’m sure I could probably double my money, the metal part is about mint, but one airgun I will never sell. These are two successes but I have had my share go south as well. And I am not immune to auction fever! lol.

View attachment 499697
45 Flint: I have this Tell no.1 on its way. The seller states that it is in very good condition, and also that it shoots well. To me it looks good, even too god (a bit shiny?) so to say. Produced in 1912, serial nr 25.
From a collector to another…… - how would you consider this item from the picture alone and data?

IMG_1592.jpeg

IMG_1593.jpeg

45 Flint: I have this Tell no.1 on its way. The seller states that it is in very good condition, and also that it shoots well. To me it looks good, even too god (a bit shiny?) so to say. Produced in 1912, serial nr 25.
From a collector to another…… - how would you consider this item from the picture alone and data?

View attachment 499708

View attachment 499709
Wow, that looks nice. So hard to tell if refinished from pics but looks good to me. I would be more than happy to own that one. They are very hard to find, the hardest of all Tell pistols. I have one and not as nice as that one.

I just watched an auction of mixed wares, and was absolutely gobsmacked at the incredible prices collectible items can fetch. It got me to thinking; is there any airgun being produced today that you think will have collectible value? If so, what?
I reckon that’s been happening for a while now. Just look at the Theoben Rapids. Or custom springers. I couldn’t say what the next collectible will be, either—my crystal ball’s in the shop...

Wow, that looks nice. So hard to tell if refinished from pics but looks good to me. I would be more than happy to own that one. They are very hard to find, the hardest of all Tell pistols. I have one and not as nice as that one.
Thanks for your non-binding evaluation( ;) ) I will take some pictures next week when it is on my doorstep, and maybe do a little shoot testing too. Probably post a new thread in the pistol section.

Reactions: 45flint
Im courious what airgun you have, that has increased in value, if you care to share?
Sorry, it was not an airgun. It was a discontinued walnut Ruger 77/44 with Timmey trigger. Bought it for $594 used in 2019 and one just sold last week on Gunbroker for $935. All my other firearms including WW2 collectables and airguns have decreased in value. Recently, I lost nearly 30 -40% % of what I paid about 3 years ago for for several WW2 collectables that I had to sell to buy some airguns. Last year, I offered a Xisco B28 22 cal with scope for sale on this website and American Airguns Clasifieds and could not get even 60% of what I paid for it so I kept it. Busted my principal point in the augment with my wife that buying guns was a good investment. Now I augue you need weapons for the coming zombie apocalypse. Who knows, may need airguns if the some of the zombies are rabbits and squirrels. New augument also used to buy edged weapons from Cold Steel.

Reactions: Airgun Al
I reckon that’s been happening for a while now. Just look at the Theoben Rapids. Or custom springers. I couldn’t say what the next collectible will be, either—my crystal ball’s in the shop...
When I am on to it: Maybe this custom built HW 30 (by Waldemar Brom alias “Hogan”) from 2019 may have the potential, let’s say 10-15 years from now?
(Don`t mind the lousy scope, that followed the rifle and is in the dark cellar now).

IMG_0956.jpeg

IMG_0949.jpeg

Last edited:
When I am on to it: Maybe this custom built HW 30 (by Waldemar Brom alias “Hogan”) from 2019 may have the potential, let’s say 10-15 years from now?
(Don`t mind the lousy scope, that followed the rifle and is in the dark cellar now).

View attachment 499741

View attachment 499742
What a stunner! With that level of custom flair, I’d say it’s already a collectible in its own right.

Reactions: Gunnertrones