Collectible airguns

History has shown that item made for the purpose of collecting IE limited editions and such seldom do as well as standard items. I am not talking limited editions of very desirable items like R1s or today’s equivalent. It seems stuff that is made to be collected is collected and easy to find in mint condition. The stuff that was just run into the ground gets to be harder to find. I think the trick is to buy whatever young folks want now and can’t afford. like us in 40 years when they have disposable income they will pay whatever is necessary to finally own said item.

Airguns are developing and improving over time, at a very fast rate.
Because of this, 99% of consumers will want the latest and greatest.
Unless there is really something unusual about it, ( serial number #1, celebrity owned, etc.) I dont see vintage "collectible" airguns gaining in value.
A safe full of airguns, are all going to all need to be rebuilt with new seals, every few years, even if exotic and expensive.
Investing in the stock market on the other hand, could double your money, every 3 or 4 years.

For sure the Walnut HW95 will bring value in the future. The Leshiy Classic with its cult like following and tank like build will fetch a pretty penny. Last but not least is the original Taipan Veteran. Also, having a cult like following due to its unwavering reliability and top tier performance. All the rest will be in the junk yard.. especially the Impact😂

History has shown that item made for the purpose of collecting IE limited editions and such seldom do as well as standard items. I am not talking limited editions of very desirable items like R1s or today’s equivalent. It seems stuff that is made to be collected is collected and easy to find in mint condition. The stuff that was just run into the ground gets to be harder to find. I think the trick is to buy whatever young folks want now and can’t afford. like us in 40 years when they have disposable income they will pay whatever is necessary to finally own said item.
but if you buy said item you need to have a safe place to store item any tiny scratch or larger ding reduces the price especially the box /packaging

Reactions: Airgun Al
It is interesting. So many current offerings are mass produced, polymer, overly complex, or lacking in enduring qualities. I would guess that real wood and classically styled items may fare better than average, but those are becoming fewer in numbers, often getting cheapened by cost cutting measures. Sad state. I’m sure the same could be said about cars, art, dishes, etc. in a disposable society. Definitely not an investment strategy! Just wondered if folks were seeing something I missed.

but if you buy said item you need to have a safe place to store item any tiny scratch or larger ding reduces the price especially the box /packaging
Agreed. That’s why I will never truly be a collector. I buy the nicest vintage airgun I can afford and then I use it. I take extremely good care of it but the reason I bought it is to shoot it and in my case as a retired master mechanic I will likely rebuild It. As soon as I want to shoot something else that perhaps I never owned or miss, the above mentioned airgun will be on Ebay to pay for my new want or dream.

"collector airguns" need to function needing zero maintenance free for 10 (ugh, let's say 20) years to life (yours) . Anything with heirloom quietly.
Really darn few in current production. IMO . A Beaumight be nice, a Martin made rapid air Weapons, A DAQ- all american made which some like, single point cut rifling every piece made by one humam- perhaps. But less of those made every year. Maybe is you got the right model Thomas (personally might like a custom .22 with mold mage for it shooting 1/2moa at 100.
Springers I do not know but haven't heard of any special new ones.
Naturally anything already a collectable.
Heirloom Quality or think of it as a (common) boat.
Just my opinion.

John

All I do in the airgun space is collect vintage airguns. To me the collectability is the art of blued milled steel made in a time that will never come again. CNC machines have taken a lot of collectability out of current airguns? Bottom line is collectability of modern manufactured airgun will be pretty problematic. You would probably need a low production run that thus probably failed in the market place but years from now has some cool features? Good luck with that.
IMG_1866.jpeg

Last edited:
All I do in the airgun space is collect vintage airguns. To me the collectability is the art of blued milled steel made in a time that will never come again. CNC machines have taken a lot of collectability out of current airguns? Bottom line is collectability of modern manufactured airgun will be pretty problematic. You would probably need a low production run that thus probably failed in the market place but years from now has some cool features? Good luck with that. View attachment 499451
THIS is it. THIS!!

All I do in the airgun space is collect vintage airguns. To me the collectability is the art of blued milled steel made in a time that will never come again. CNC machines have taken a lot of collectability out of current airguns? Bottom line is collectability of modern manufactured airgun will be pretty problematic. You would probably need a low production run that thus probably failed in the market place but years from now has some cool features? Good luck with that. View attachment 499451
That is toooo cool!