• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Complete setup for coyote hunting newb

Hello folks. I've been lurking around the forums for a couple of weeks now.
I live in Los Angeles in a semi rural area. I know all my neighbors and they're pretty much fine with noises and what not.

However, I'd like to keep it as civil as possible.

We've had a big problem with coyotes lately. They've taken out a few barn cats that were strays and folks took them in. I'm seriously afraid about our pets in our property. I've managed to keep them out of harms way by setting sensors all over the property but I'm tired of waking up at 4 in the morning to chase 5 to 6 coyotes out.

Anyhow, I am a complete newbie to airguns. I have rifles but alas, I live in Los Angeles. I can't just discharge a firearm in my yard without running into problems. An airgun will have to do.

After reading around the forums, I think a .357 Benjamin Bulldog will do the job. I noticed there's a .457 up for sale on the classified sections.
My question is, will a .457 do?
Would it be way too loud?
Any way of suppressing noise?
What kind of scope would you recommend?
Air compressor recommendations?
What kind of cartridges do you recommend?

All the questions! Also, if there's another rifle that you'd suggest, please send it my way. I don't mind buying something used to save a few bucks as well.

Edit: Also considering a Texan since the seem to be quieter.

Last edited:
I'm curious about how close other houses are in the direction you would be shooting. Maybe post some pictures taken from where you would be shooting in the direction you would be shooting. And how far away are the coyotes? Are the coyotes in a lighted area, like under bright security lights, OR are they in complete darkness -- this would help determine if you need a night-vision solution or not. There will be lots of other questions for you to answer and a ton of stuff for you to read, but let's just start with this for now.

stovepipe

I'm curious about how close other houses are in the direction you would be shooting. Maybe post some pictures taken from where you would be shooting in the direction you would be shooting. And how far away are the coyotes? Are the coyotes in a lighted area, like under bright security lights, OR are they in complete darkness -- this would help determine if you need a night-vision solution or not. There will be lots of other questions for you to answer and a ton of stuff for you to read, but let's just start with this for now.

stovepipe
Nearest house is about 800 ft away with a concrete wall in between.
The coyotes will be in a semi dark open space. I have plenty of spots around it to hide in and am even thinking of placing an RV to camp and shoot from near the open space. I won't need night vision even on a new moon. These coyotes roam the urban streets and are pretty much unafraid of anything at this point. They've even been out an about in broad daylight lately.

Nearest house is about 800 ft away with a concrete wall in between.
The coyotes will be in a semi dark open space. I have plenty of spots around it to hide in and am even thinking of placing an RV to camp and shoot from near the open space. I won't need night vision even on a new moon. These coyotes roam the urban streets and are pretty much unafraid of anything at this point. They've even been out an about in broad daylight lately.
OK, that gives some idea of what you're up against. I am worried a bit about the safety of people and property around you because fast moving slugs (even though they are moving at sub-sonic speeds) can go a long ways, even after they skip off the ground. It's on you to research this and be safe.

If you go to the search bar at the top of this web page and search for "coyote", you will see a LOT of posts in threads specifically about hunting coyotes. You will see what guns, scopes, etc. other guys use. Full disclosure -- I am not a hunter, I'm a target shooter, so anything I say from here on might easily get me flamed by the coyote hunters.

You don't need to buy a really expensive rifle -- after all, you're not trying to shoot tiny targets at long ranges. Because you are new to this, ideally you would only be shooting coyotes when they are at point blank range. Point blank range doesn't mean they are at the end of your barrel. Point-blank range is any distance where a certain firearm can hit a target without the need to adjust for bullet drop. Once you know the muzzle velocity and weight and ballistic coeffecient of your slug from your rifle, a lot of external ballistics apps will let you specify a target size (let's say for example 1 inch) and the program will tell you what distance you should sight your rifle in at in order to get the longest distance between closest point blank range and farthest point blank range. If you do this then the slug will never be off by more than 1/2 inch from the center dot or crosshairs of your scope if the target is within near and far point blank range. Typically the near point blank range would be maybe 20 yards or so and the far point blank range would be about 55 yards or so. So if a coyote is within these ranges, then it's basically just point and shoot for you without worrying about holding over or dialing the elevation turret. Did you get all that? So if the coyotes never come within about 50 yards, you won't get a shot without learning more than what I just explained. Don't buy a used rifle -- buy a new rifle from a company that has proven to honor their warranty and, hopefully also honors refunds for new rifles that are screwed up within X number of days. Something like a 30 cal rifle capable of shooting slugs with close to 100 foot-pounds of energy at the muzzle should be plenty of power. I would say definitely get a rifle that has regulated plenum pressure and adjustable hammer spring preload. Although semi-auto rifles sound tempting, I would never recommend one because of the potential for more moving parts going bad -- and they are more expensive. You definitely want a repeater -- meaning it has a magazine and a cocking lever for follow-up shots.

Since your shooting will be at point blank range, you don't want to use a scope at high magnification. Coyotes move about a lot, so you need a wide field of view. No need for a really expensive scope, but good enough quality that it tracks well -- just another way of saying there's no slop or play in it and it's reliable.

Coyote hunters will disagree about whether to always go for a head shot or to always go for a heart/lung/vitals shot (body shot). For you being a beginner, I would say always go for a body shot (heart if possible). This does require a fair amount of power and I think a 30 cal rifle puting out around 100 fpe at the muzzle would do the trick.

I've been saying that I'd shoot slugs this whole time, and I would. But real coyote hunters might say different. They know more than I do -- I'm just wingin' it here.

I've also been saying 30 caliber, but real coyote hunters might say 25 cal is better. Again, they know more than I do.

Oh man, my brain is worn out. You've got a lot of reading to do. It's going to get confusing. But hopefully my blurb has helped.

stovepipe

@skypirate You’re new to the forums, new to airguns, and want to hunt coyotes in what sounds to me like a suburban setting? That’s a tall order. You also sound new to hunting. Coyotes are some of the most challenging animals to hunt around my way. Don’t let YouTube videos make you think it’s easy to do. Much has been said on the topic on AGN. You’ve been lurking but you’re asking if the Bulldog is too loud for your application? I’d say yes indeed. If you know your neighbors and they aren’t concerned about noise why is this an issue? Yes you can tame the sound some using various methods and it’s still going to be loud. I don’t know what “way too loud” to you means, but you sound like you want to be discreet. I suggest that you conduct a search using “coyote” as a keyword. Also be mindful of your state hunting regulations and local laws. You live in a state and region (one of the most populous regions in the country) with very strict laws. I suggest that you do not play with them. If you choose to engage in illegal activity with an airgun (willingly and knowingly or choose to not read up on your laws and regs and just jump out there trying to kill coyotes), please don’t come here to discuss it with our community or post photos. I’m not saying you will, I’m just asking that you refrain from doing so if you feel inclined. As for your other questions, I suggest conducting keyword searches on compressors and scopes as well. Click the magnifying glass towards the top of your screen. From there an AGN search is kinda like a Google search. And to your other question, to my knowledge airguns don’t use cartridges unless you’re shooting a CO2 air gun.

Here’s a thread asking a similar question that comes up in an AGN search to get you started.

As for your concerns about your pets, keep them indoors and accompany them outdoors. Let the strays fend for themselves outside of feeding them (or providing water) or maybe open your home to them and protect them properly by providing adequate shelter from threats like coyotes or other stray animals, weather, vehicles, or disease.

Last edited:
Reactions: N2 Shooter
I would be leery of using slugs in close proximity with other residents. They carry a lot more energy down range. I pellet placed property will do terminal damage and if you happen to miss will dissipate energy faster than a slug. There was a thread where a hunter posted skull shots of coyotes shote with slugs and pellets and the pellet shot made a considerably larger hole than the slug did. Pass through is less of a problem with a pellet as well. Hades pellets do a lot of tissue damage and should be considered. Pellets are more effected by wind than slugs so keep that in mind too. If you can keep your shots to 75Y or less then pellets (domes or Hades) would be my choice. Domes have a higher BC than Hades too. Large caliber rifles above .30 are unnecessary IMO and they are easily silenced with a moderator. I agree that you don't need to spend a lot of money in your endeavor and an Air Venturi Avenger will easily be up to the task.

Here’s another question….

Do you care if they run off after you shoot them and die somewhere else?

Because if you’re looking to anchor coyotes with an air rifle, that’s an entirely different discussion that simply “killing” coyotes.

Coyote running into the woods and dying from a pellet wound is one thing. Coyote running off and dying on Karen’s lawn is a whole other can of worms.

Hello folks. I've been lurking around the forums for a couple of weeks now.
I live in Los Angeles in a semi rural area. I know all my neighbors and they're pretty much fine with noises and what not.

However, I'd like to keep it as civil as possible.

We've had a big problem with coyotes lately. They've taken out a few barn cats that were strays and folks took them in. I'm seriously afraid about our pets in our property. I've managed to keep them out of harms way by setting sensors all over the property but I'm tired of waking up at 4 in the morning to chase 5 to 6 coyotes out.

Anyhow, I am a complete newbie to airguns. I have rifles but alas, I live in Los Angeles. I can't just discharge a firearm in my yard without running into problems. An airgun will have to do.

After reading around the forums, I think a .357 Benjamin Bulldog will do the job. I noticed there's a .457 up for sale on the classified sections.
My question is, will a .457 do?

Edit: Also considering a Texan since the seem to be quieter.
I would not choose a. 457cal for the following reasons:

• Coyote may jump the line. Those .457cal slugs move quite slow out of the Bulldog compared to a hot .30cal like the Umarex Gauntlet 30SL. It's possible the coyote may move at the instant the shot is fired. Bow hunters know what I mean, as it's a big concern when hunting deer.
  • A .457cal is serious overkill. A big coyote is 40-50 pounds, and a 100fpe .30cal will give you +8 inches of penetration at 75 yards, which is plenty to drop a yote.
  • There are several digital scopes that provide night vision. Look into PARD, Arken and I believe the NV400 are good budget options. Plan on spending around $500 for this luxury. All my scopes are digital, and I have two Day/ Night vision scopes and one Thermal Scope.
  • You need to get in range time to know your trajectory of your chosen round. Your groups need to be at least 2 MOA at 50 yards for a coyote vitals kill zone. My scopes all have Ballistics Calculator functionality, which helps A TON when taking shots over various different ranges. I have been having fantastic luck with the 50gr H&N Slug II in .30cal. I would recommend trying the 54gr ones for coyotes.
  • If you are worried about noise, just budget in a suppressor. I run the DonnyFL Ronin on my FX Maverick VP .30cal and it's a major difference. I also own a Benjamin Bulldog M.357 and I run a longer DonnyFL Emperor on it to great effect.
PSFix_20221031_202838.jpg

FX Maverick VP with ATN X-SIGHT 4K PRO 3-14X DAY NIGHT scope mounted, with ATN THOR 4 640 2.5-25X Thermal Scope detached. DonnyFL Ronin suppressor attached.

RDT_20230105_1911113828332484036495933.png

The Benjamin Bulldogs .357cal. One has the shorter DonnyFL Ronin and the other has the longer Emperor.

I recently bought a new compressor, and I got this for around $260. Nice side benefit of being able to be run from 12V DC. Far from the best, but sufficient.

1000005858-jpg.475490

TOAUTO A2X Upgraded PCP Air... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SWDTHXP?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

1000005858.jpg

The only issues I see with using a 45 caliber bulldog on coyotes are noise and pass throughs. It will be harder to make quiet than a 357 or 257 bulldog would be. The 45 will almost certainly pass through which is good for killing them quickly but it is important that the projectile not go on to something you do not want to hit. Pit bull airguns has a moderator they say can get the noise down under 90 db but it's $225. A DonnyFL emperor probably would too but it isn't cheap either. You are also only going to get about 3 shots but that should be enough. 85-90 db is not exactly quiet, that is where my airguns are and my neighbors know when I am shooting if they are outside. But if they are inside they won't hear it and even if they are outside it sounds as much like a nailgun as a gun shooting projectiles. Not terribly scary.

I recomend you at least look at a SPA M60b. Air Archery Fun sells them. I would get it in 30 caliber but it is offered in 357 too. It is significantly less powerful but I think it would be enough. I would use a pellet in either, whatever is most accurate. It will need a moderator but can probably get by with a smaller less expensive one.

Inexpensive compressors are either Yong Heng and the clones or GX CSPs. The difference is the YH needs water cooling and 120V power while the GX compressors do not need additional cooling and can run on 12V or 120V. The GX are probably quieter too, my YH is noisy. But the YH will fill guns really quickly and can fill bottles (like firefighters air tanks). GX CS4 is small but can run a long time and still fill a tank.

Reactions: N2 Shooter
OK, that gives some idea of what you're up against. I am worried a bit about the safety of people and property around you because fast moving slugs (even though they are moving at sub-sonic speeds) can go a long ways, even after they skip off the ground. It's on you to research this and be safe.

If you go to the search bar at the top of this web page and search for "coyote", you will see a LOT of posts in threads specifically about hunting coyotes. You will see what guns, scopes, etc. other guys use. Full disclosure -- I am not a hunter, I'm a target shooter, so anything I say from here on might easily get me flamed by the coyote hunters.

You don't need to buy a really expensive rifle -- after all, you're not trying to shoot tiny targets at long ranges. Because you are new to this, ideally you would only be shooting coyotes when they are at point blank range. Point blank range doesn't mean they are at the end of your barrel. Point-blank range is any distance where a certain firearm can hit a target without the need to adjust for bullet drop. Once you know the muzzle velocity and weight and ballistic coeffecient of your slug from your rifle, a lot of external ballistics apps will let you specify a target size (let's say for example 1 inch) and the program will tell you what distance you should sight your rifle in at in order to get the longest distance between closest point blank range and farthest point blank range. If you do this then the slug will never be off by more than 1/2 inch from the center dot or crosshairs of your scope if the target is within near and far point blank range. Typically the near point blank range would be maybe 20 yards or so and the far point blank range would be about 55 yards or so. So if a coyote is within these ranges, then it's basically just point and shoot for you without worrying about holding over or dialing the elevation turret. Did you get all that? So if the coyotes never come within about 50 yards, you won't get a shot without learning more than what I just explained. Don't buy a used rifle -- buy a new rifle from a company that has proven to honor their warranty and, hopefully also honors refunds for new rifles that are screwed up within X number of days. Something like a 30 cal rifle capable of shooting slugs with close to 100 foot-pounds of energy at the muzzle should be plenty of power. I would say definitely get a rifle that has regulated plenum pressure and adjustable hammer spring preload. Although semi-auto rifles sound tempting, I would never recommend one because of the potential for more moving parts going bad -- and they are more expensive. You definitely want a repeater -- meaning it has a magazine and a cocking lever for follow-up shots.

Since your shooting will be at point blank range, you don't want to use a scope at high magnification. Coyotes move about a lot, so you need a wide field of view. No need for a really expensive scope, but good enough quality that it tracks well -- just another way of saying there's no slop or play in it and it's reliable.

Coyote hunters will disagree about whether to always go for a head shot or to always go for a heart/lung/vitals shot (body shot). For you being a beginner, I would say always go for a body shot (heart if possible). This does require a fair amount of power and I think a 30 cal rifle puting out around 100 fpe at the muzzle would do the trick.

I've been saying that I'd shoot slugs this whole time, and I would. But real coyote hunters might say different. They know more than I do -- I'm just wingin' it here.

I've also been saying 30 caliber, but real coyote hunters might say 25 cal is better. Again, they know more than I do.

Oh man, my brain is worn out. You've got a lot of reading to do. It's going to get confusing. But hopefully my blurb has helped.

stovepipe
I think we should all be glad that you don't hunt in my opinion, Mr. Grim reaper.

No need for that high of caliber. .22 /.25 is plenty with a properly placed shot.

Pard makes great night vision optics for the price

If you end up enjoying it you could upgrade to thermal.

BRK ghost on the higher end of things with the heavy spring in .22 is plenty and with a good moderator and will be neighborhood friendly.

You’ve already got the dogs in the area…..little old meat in the backyard with a cell camera on it will make things pretty easy. When you get the notification get ready and aim for the ear or eye. He won’t move. JSB Monster Hades 25 gr.

Reactions: Ranchibi
@skypirate You’re new to the forums, new to airguns, and want to hunt coyotes in what sounds to me like a suburban setting? That’s a tall order. You also sound new to hunting. Coyotes are some of the most challenging animals to hunt around my way. Don’t let YouTube videos make you think it’s easy to do. Much has been said on the topic on AGN. You’ve been lurking but you’re asking if the Bulldog is too loud for your application? I’d say yes indeed. If you know your neighbors and they aren’t concerned about noise why is this an issue? Yes you can tame the sound some using various methods and it’s still going to be loud. I don’t know what “way too loud” to you means, but you sound like you want to be discreet. I suggest that you conduct a search using “coyote” as a keyword. Also be mindful of your state hunting regulations and local laws. You live in a state and region (one of the most populous regions in the country) with very strict laws. I suggest that you do not play with them. If you choose to engage in illegal activity with an airgun (willingly and knowingly or choose to not read up on your laws and regs and just jump out there trying to kill coyotes), please don’t come here to discuss it with our community or post photos. I’m not saying you will, I’m just asking that you refrain from doing so if you feel inclined. As for your other questions, I suggest conducting keyword searches on compressors and scopes as well. Click the magnifying glass towards the top of your screen. From there an AGN search is kinda like a Google search. And to your other question, to my knowledge airguns don’t use cartridges unless you’re shooting a CO2 air gun.

Here’s a thread asking a similar question that comes up in an AGN search to get you started.

As for your concerns about your pets, keep them indoors and accompany them outdoors. Let the strays fend for themselves outside of feeding them (or providing water) or maybe open your home to them and protect them properly by providing adequate shelter from threats like coyotes or other stray animals, weather, vehicles, or disease.
Solid advice, thank you sir. I'm having a discussion with the neighbors to see if we can have this area that's about 100'x80' where this pack visits consistently, looking for food.
I've also been doing more homework than this post and it seems that outside the property, any ammunition made with lead, is a no go. I have to clarify if that applies when in private property.
I don't mean to do this in secret, I want approval from my neighbors and also the ability to do this discretely, in a lawful, controlled way. I don't plan to kill one, I plan to kill as many coyotes as I possibly can within my rights.
This doesn't need to happen this week. I plan on familiarizing myself with what I purchase, if I even do so. But I want to explore this option before moving onto some other solution on this quest to keep predators away from our home.

@skypirate I’m not sure how the state and authorities feels about trapping, but consider looking into live trapping as well. That way the offending animals can be trapped before dispatching. Also you can be assured that the animal is dead. Additionally, non-target animals trapped unintentionally can be released. The only issue I see there is trying to release a trapped skunk without getting sprayed or trapping and disposing of a rabid animal. Good luck to you all.

I have no idea what this comment is about. I took the time to try to HELP you. And this is what I get in return. WTF?

stovepipe
It was a compliment! I apologize if it didn't sound the right way I intended. I felt like Dexter is teaching me something and that is definitely a compliment on my end :D:geek:
You've helped me narrow this down immensely. I have a few questions.
What would you recommend for a close quarters encounter?
What type of caliber would be low enough to get the job done, on a point blank situation?
Is there a potential for a pellet of such caliber to bounce and how far that same pellet go if were to miss my shot?

Hate to break it to you….. but there ain’t much you can to stem the tide of coyotes. They’re tough, they’re wary, and they’re a lot smarter than most teenage kids.

You might shoot one here and there… but you’ll do no damage to the population, or really affect their habits. An old study on Colorado Coyotes in the 80’s/90’s, indicated that you could kill up to about 70% of the population every year, and do no discernible damage to the coyote population the following year.

There’s a reason that the coyotes are in your neighborhood: opportunity! Cats, small dogs, garbage, brush piles, gardens, any place they can find easy food and not feel threatened.

You’d be far more successful eradicating coyotes from the area by making a concerted neighborhood-wide effort to mitigate the reasons for the coyotes to even be there…. and a then add a couple more guys with your pellet gun mindset.

By yourself, you’re just a boy with his finger stuck in the coyote dike.

Hate to break it to you….. but there ain’t much you can to stem the tide of coyotes. They’re tough, they’re wary, and they’re a lot smarter than most teenage kids.

You might shoot one here and there… but you’ll do no damage to the population, or really affect their habits. An old study on Colorado Coyotes in the 80’s/90’s, indicated that you could kill up to about 70% of the population every year, and do no discernible damage to the coyote population the following year.

There’s a reason that the coyotes are in your neighborhood: opportunity! Cats, small dogs, garbage, brush piles, gardens, any place they can find easy food and not feel threatened.

You’d be far more successful eradicating coyotes from the area by making a concerted neighborhood-wide effort to mitigate the reasons for the coyotes to even be there…. and a then add a couple more guys with your pellet gun mindset.

By yourself, you’re just a boy with his finger stuck in the coyote dike.
Great advice :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: well, at least I'll entertain myself here with this false sense of security I guess lol

As long as you know that’s what it is…. then have at it.

As a guy who shot 100+ coyotes a year for close to a decade…. I have a very healthy respect for their intellect, their toughness, and their adaptability.

We’ve been trying to eradicate coyotes for over 150 years in the Western US… and there’s more of them now than there has ever been. Says something about the hardiness of the species.

If I were you…. I’d buy a Dynamic Air Rifles (DAR) G3 in .25 ($300) and a couple tins of JSB Hades pellets ($20/500) Scope it with a decent 3-9 or 4-12 scope ($100-$200), and aim for heart/lung shots inside 50 yards. I would also expect every dog I shot to run away and die elsewhere.

It was a compliment! I apologize if it didn't sound the right way I intended. I felt like Dexter is teaching me something and that is definitely a compliment on my end :D:geek:
You've helped me narrow this down immensely. I have a few questions.
What would you recommend for a close quarters encounter?
What type of caliber would be low enough to get the job done, on a point blank situation?
Is there a potential for a pellet of such caliber to bounce and how far that same pellet go if were to miss my shot?
Thank you for explaining. Thanks for the compliment as well.

As for shooting things at closer than point blank range, it is difficult for me to do so with my rifle for several reasons. One reason is that the center of my scope tube is 2.972 inches above the center of my bore. As targets get closer than minimum point blank range I have to start holding over (aiming above the target) way too much to feel confident about the shot. Not only that, but the minimum magnification of my scope is 6x which quickly becomes too much power for close range. If I have to ever shoot something at closer than point blank range, it's probably a self-defense situation that would have me in panic mode.

As far as what WOULD be a good weapon for close encounters, I only have a lot of bad ideas -- no good ones.

stovepipe

Thank you for explaining. Thanks for the compliment as well.

As for shooting things at closer than point blank range, it is difficult for me to do so with my rifle for several reasons. One reason is that the center of my scope tube is 2.972 inches above the center of my bore. As targets get closer than minimum point blank range I have to start holding over (aiming above the target) way too much to feel confident about the shot. Not only that, but the minimum magnification of my scope is 6x which quickly becomes too much power for close range. If I have to ever shoot something at closer than point blank range, it's probably a self-defense situation that would have me in panic mode.

As far as what WOULD be a good weapon for close encounters, I only have a lot of bad ideas -- no good ones.

stovepipe
My scope with built in Ballistic Calculator handles all of that for me. The integrated rangefinder knows the distance to the target, and the scope knows the flight path based on the zero distance, ammo weight, velocity and Ballistic Coefficient and it moves my reticle to the new POI. It's almost like cheating!