• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Complete setup for coyote hunting newb

As long as you know that’s what it is…. then have at it.

As a guy who shot 100+ coyotes a year for close to a decade…. I have a very healthy respect for their intellect, their toughness, and their adaptability.

We’ve been trying to eradicate coyotes for over 150 years in the Western US… and there’s more of them now than there has ever been. Says something about the hardiness of the species.

If I were you…. I’d buy a Dynamic Air Rifles (DAR) G3 in .25 ($300) and a couple tins of JSB Hades pellets ($20/500) Scope it with a decent 3-9 or 4-12 scope ($100-$200), and aim for heart/lung shots inside 50 yards. I would also expect every dog I shot to run away and die elsewhere.
I'm liking the DAR tip quite a bit. It feels like I'm zeroing in on something here. Thank you!

A DAR .25 + Hades + Athlon Talos/Neos is the easy button. Throw in some rings ($30) and an Amazon hand-pump ($60)…. and the whole kit & kaboodle should set you back right around $600.

That being said… you could also go .25 Avenger, or .25 Airacuda/Max, .25 Gauntlet….. and stay in that same price range. I own or have owned all of those listed… and my preference is the DAR in the sub-$500 PCP Class.

My scope with built in Ballistic Calculator handles all of that for me. The integrated rangefinder knows the distance to the target, and the scope knows the flight path based on the zero distance, ammo weight, velocity and Ballistic Coefficient and it moves my reticle to the new POI. It's almost like cheating!
I've never used a "smart scope", but I do occasionally read up on the latest tech. I don't think of it as cheating at all. Once I'm convinced that the built-in rangefinder is able to deal with brush/tree branches/grass and can isolate the intended target as well as I can manually with a typical range finder, then I'll probably be in the market for a "smart scope".

stovepipe

Reactions: N2 Shooter
My scope with built in Ballistic Calculator handles all of that for me. The integrated rangefinder knows the distance to the target, and the scope knows the flight path based on the zero distance, ammo weight, velocity and Ballistic Coefficient and it moves my reticle to the new POI. It's almost like cheating!
Science and math to get the outcome I'm looking for? I'm interested!

Reactions: N2 Shooter
I snipe rats in my back yard and have a red 15 watt LED flood light that gives me more than enough light to see them 15-20yds away. I've also seen yotes in my back yard, no pets anymore so no worries. But like you said, these urban yotes are acclimated to people, lights, sounds, etc.. Place some dog food in a corner where you can see them from a window for a week or so, they will get more and more comfortable. Use the window sill or tripod with a y-yoke to shoot from (have the window already open as they should come at approximately the same time each night or your cams will alert you). I golf and have them come within 10:feet of me on the course, not afraid of people. Mos animals cannot see the red light spectrum but can see its brightness and they are used to lights. Use pellets, a head shot or heart heart shot will suffice. Once you take one out they are smart and might stay clear of your neighborhood, maybe not. Also, take practice shots during the day at said area/distance. I shoot a golf tee at said rat area for POI (Point of Impact) confirmation. You could also own a pack of pitbulls or Kangal dogs to deter them....😂👍

California laws regarding air hunting can be found here:

To summarize you can hunt certain animals in Cali (included coyotes) with air power but need to follow local laws/ordinances. Virtually every city in the state does not allow ANY projectile (nerf as well) to be launched or fired within city limits. Some counties also have the same restriction so you will have to check. In most areas you do not have to use lead-free air ammo since they are not firearms and not restricted with the same laws as powder burners. And obviously you need a current hunting license.

For a setup my min suggestion would be something in 25Cal that can make at least 50fpe. A Hades pellet can anchor a coyote if you keep it under about 50yds. An Air Venturi Avenger in 25Cal is a good low buck choice, add an Arken EPL4 scope 4-16x, and GX CS3 compressor. Wont last forever but that setup will provide the power and accuracy needed for years. If you have more money to spend you could upgrade to something like a Taipan Veteran Gen 1 25Cal or an FX Wildcat in 25Cal/30Cal and a GX CS4 or Omega Trail Charger. There are lots of rifle options that will work for your needs, just make sure to pick something that can deliver the power (50-100fpe) and accuracy (1moa or better).

Reactions: skypirate
Who is going to tell him that So Cal is a No Lead area. He would have to use those little light Non-Lead Projectiles and expect to kill a Coyote? Ok.
Is that for firearms or everything? The statewide lead free ammo ban does not apply to air powered devices. But maybe they have additional rules down there in the worserest part of the state.

Reactions: balver
Ahhhh yes, California Schemin’

I’d just license-up, and be vigilant about backstop and shot selection. I might even go to a heavy .25 cal pellet, look for double-lung shots, and pray for an exit (which you should get with a 34grainer at 800-860). That way there’s no evidence.
and that's how you pull a Conspiracy Charge in California. :)

Call animal control and get a Game Warden to get involved. You start killing animals and they die one someone else yard, good Lord the Karen's of the world will go nuts.

Smitty