Compressor Selection

Hello, 

I am new here and acquired a daystate Wolverine for my first PCP and am in the middle of choosing an air compressor and basically have 4 options/choices I have narrowed down to and would like to here the pros, cons, and users experience with them. I have done a good bit of research from the forum here and feel like these are the best options:

Omega Supercharger (have heard people really love or hate these). Pros: Price, Size, Ease of use (plug of and play), weight, AOA can completely service the unit Cons: some people have issues with them shortly after purchasing which has me a little apprehensive. 

Joe's Carette Compressor - Pros: The detailed teardown/review I found gave it good feedback, size/weight, price, Joe's package with a dryer and the guppy seems really attractive Cons: I havent seen a lot of long term feed back on these, potential parts support issues if Joe stops carrying them, not as plug and play it looks like as the Omega. 

MCH6 Compressor - Pros: It will always work Cons: Price, Weight, Size, Auto bleed is an expensive option taking the compressor to almost 3k, need two people to move it. 

All in all I just want something that will reliably fill up my air gun to shoot it and maybe one day a small tank. I plan on running whatever I get with Joe's inline moisture filter. The smaller in size / weight the better. Please help me pick out a compressor. Obviously I do not want to buy something that is over kill for my needs as I am just a solo hobbyist. Please weigh in with opinions, your experiences, or anything worth pointing out that I might have missed. 

Here is my standard post to all things Yong Heng hope it is helpful.

It is pretty much the best compressor you can get for under $1000 and some of those over that will not match it in performance or longevity.

The Yong Heng "Simple" version least expensive does not have a water separator you need one.

The "Auto Stop" version shuts off near 3000psi. Probly not a good thing for most people.

So you likely want the "Hardcover" or "Set Pressure" versions your choice on the 110V or 220V.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32824234795.html?spm=a2g0o.store_home.productList_13760454.subject_2

Keep them cool and the oil, ISO 46 or the equivalent, topped off to the red circle in the sight glass, and don't fill past their spec which is 4350psi. A little less is better than the max, and the Yong Heng should last for years unless you get a bad one. I did my first oil change at about an hour, it was extremely dark colored. I went far longer, between changes, after that.

I have two YH compressors. Bought the second as a backup for the first as I fergot to turn on the coolant pump several times and overheated it until it smoked. It did not like it but it runs fine. Still I did not trust it after that. I added a switched outlet, to the system, so it turns the pump on before the compressor will power up to keep me from doing that from now on.

The second one, my back up unit, died in about two months bad QC from the factory. Cost me $12, for a new second stage piston, and an hours time to replace it. Then to add insult to injury I fergot to put oil in, the latest unit after I put it back together, and ran it for a couple of minutes without any. So I filled it with oil and it fired up and somehow still werqs fine. The #1 unit that I was worried about, cuz I overheated it so many times, just kept on filling my guns and tanks till I got #2 repaired and retired it.

I do not fill past 4200psi as when I do, all too often, I blow a burst disc. This does not happen on the first or second fill but soon thereafter.

The temperature sensor only measures head temperature so running it much over 20-30 minutes can overheat the motor and other parts even if ice is used in the coolant. Ice or a container of it, in the coolant, is a good idea especially if you are like me and do not use the full five gallons of water as suggested in the manual.

Keep your water supply level with the compressor to be kind to the pump and assure a good supply of coolant goes through the compressor.

I recently started using this Red Line water treatment after I noticed algae growth in my 2.5 gallon water bucket every few months. It seems to have stopped the algae growth problem.

https://www.autozone.com/antifreeze-radiator-additives-and-windshield-wash-fluid/coolant-water-wetter-additive/red-line-water-wetter-super-coolant-12oz/486218_0_0 

Keep your moisture filters, guns and tanks being filled above the compressor to help keep the moisture out.

Purge the system of moisture, using the screw valves on both sides of the compressor, for a couple of seconds every five minutes while in use.

Change out your small YH filter every twenty minutes and set the old one out to dry and use later.

Add a better filter if needed to be sure more moisture and any oil smell is removed from the system. Many of us use this Tuxing three media filter although, if you feel the need, you can change media types at any time.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32891898253.html

A smaller one will probly do for many.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000960926898.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2a034c4dL0nrJU.

Bleed the pressure before you turn the unit off and let it run a few seconds to get the better part of the moisture out of the system. I have found that I blow less burst discs if I bleed before shutting down so I do this religiously.

Let the coolant pump run for a few minutes after shutdown to cool things off.

Here is a video on how to fill a SCBA tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=157&v=_grx5p_R8D4&feature=emb_title

MCH6 Compressor - Pros: It will always work Cons: Price, Weight, Size, Auto bleed is an expensive option taking the compressor to almost 3k, need two people to move it. 

All in all I just want something that will reliably fill up my air gun to shoot it and maybe one day a small tank. I plan on running whatever I get with Joe's inline moisture filter. The smaller in size / weight the better. Please help me pick out a compressor. Obviously I do not want to buy something that is over kill for my needs as I am just a solo hobbyist. Please weigh in with opinions, your experiences, or anything worth pointing out that I might have missed.

You don't need an auto bleed unless you have something like a cascade system that is always on, in which case, you would also need the auto stop/start as well. The MCH6 has a sufficiently large moisture trap so that you only need to bleed it when you are done filling the tank. Also, you won't need an additional in-line moisture filter with the MCH6. The MCH6 is best suited for filling medium to large tanks, but is overkill for filling guns and small tanks. Overkill in this instance is not really a good thing. A Yong Heng type compressor with it's smaller filter/trap volume can fill a gun as quickly/conveniently as the MCH6.

I bought a compressor from Joe about 3 years ago. So far it's been trouble free. I fill my 66 cubic foot tank with it (4500psi) and a friends 90 cubic inch tank from time to time. One of my fears was not being able to get parts when I bought it. I was lead to believe it wouldn't be a problem.. but I sure cant find any... that being said it has been a good compressor and has never let me down. But...yeah there's alway a but... if I had it to do over again I would just spend the extra on a good quality name brand dive compressor that parts are always available. If my compressor does die that's exactly what I will do. Buy a quality dive compressor.

I would buy something you can grow into and will have resale value if you decide it isn’t your bag.

With that in mind I would go with the MCH6. Has the best auto stop feature (opinion statement here) which is excellent for filling just an Airgun. When you step up to a tank, it will handle that easily too. At some point you will gain a friend or two nearby that shoots and can help them or charge them $5 to fill. You don’t need the extra Joe B filter with this unit. Might want to pickup a quick disconnect end and microbore hose when you order. Parts are readily available even if Daystate or AoA would decide to stop carrying it. Can be used by scuba divers. The later two comments help tremendously with resale value. Good luck in your decision.

.. Might want to pickup a quick disconnect end and microbore hose when you order. ...

Note: Don't fill medium/large tanks through the micro bore hose with an MCH6. The microbore can't pass air fast enough and you'll see a large pressure drop across the hose. If you have a microbore, you'll definitely want the quick disconnect so you can remove it when filling the tank.

Ok i think Im sold on a MCH6. The small price difference between an omega supercharger with moisture filter and an MCH6 is a no brainer in my opinion. What are the differences if any between the daystate unit and the OEM MCH6? Reputable dealers to buy from new or used? Will I have any issues or need anything to fill directly to my Daystate rifle or a small tank like a guppy?

Ok i think Im sold on a MCH6. The small price difference between an omega supercharger with moisture filter and an MCH6 is a no brainer in my opinion. What are the differences if any between the daystate unit and the OEM MCH6? Reputable dealers to buy from new or used? Will I have any issues or need anything to fill directly to my Daystate rifle or a small tank like a guppy?

Nuvair is in Oxnard, CA IIRC. An MCH6 and you're set to go.

Heck I think I'm sold on it too.. right now the gas powered compressor is on sale 

https://www.nuvair.com/mch6-compact.html

The Daystate Type 2 is an MCH6 with a full cage and an adjustable pressure automatic shutoff. If you get an MCH6 from Nuvair, I'd recommend the 8014.1-C (single phase 220v) in the paintball/airgun configuration. It will come with a few things that the Daystate does not have - pressure relief valve (I got mine with the 330bar safety valve), PMV, and a fill whip with a in-line bleed valve/shutoff valve/Foster fitting.

Some other notes: You can get the MCH6 with the adjustable auto shutoff, but it's a fairly expensive addition. If you need it, the Daystate already has it. The MCH6 tops off tanks in a few minutes so I monitor mine while it fills. If you are multitasking and doing other things while filling tanks, the auto shutoff might be worth it.

The MCH6 in the paintball/airgun configuration can be used for filling guns and small tanks. It can top off a gun in 30 seconds with most of that time spent pressurizing the filter/trap on the compressor - not the most efficient use for this compressor. I'd recommend getting a tank instead (a guppy tank at least), and use the compressor to fill the tank. With a tank, you'll run the compressor a lot less total time for the same amount of gun fills.

Heck I think I'm sold on it too.. right now the gas powered compressor is on sale 

https://www.nuvair.com/mch6-compact.html

That unit goes "on sale" frequently. I bought mine from them around this time last year. They asked me what my intended use was and set it up accordingly. Nuvair also did a test run on the unit before shipping. I built a dolly cart for mine and purchased a cloth cover for it to keep the dust out.

are there any known issues with the daystate type 1 or downsides (for us airgunners) to the type 1?

By "type 1", I assume that you are referring to the 110v, 3 stage compressor that is based on an MCH3.

The Daystate Type 2 and MCH6 are 4 stage compressors.

If a 110v ,15a or 20a outlet is all that you have access to, then the "type 1" might be a reasonable option. If you are mostly filling guns directly, the type 1 would be a better choice than a type 2. The type 1 is not well suited for filling medium/large 4500psi tanks. The performance of the type 2 is far superior to the type 1.

Also the type 1 does not come with a filter tower or an hour meter.

OK so i would need to add a moisture filter from joe or coltri? I may occasionally fill a guppy or tiger shark down the road but it will 90% be used for direct fill to the bottle on my gun.

Even the Yong Heng does a pretty good job when filling guns directly. The Daystate type 1 does have a condensate trap. A small filter could be added but not absolutely necessary.

The type 1 does not have the auto shutoff, and I don't think it has a pressure safety valve either. So best to monitor it closely while filling. Fills to 3000psi should not be a problem. Maybe the occasional fill to 4000psi+.

I have never owned/used a type 1. My comments are based on my research and use of my Vevor (Yong Heng type) and my MCH6.