Compressor Selection

I went with the Omega Turbo charger almost 3 years ago and haven’t looked back. Keep grease and water where it’s suppose to be. So far not one issue and I pretty much fill up a 100cuft tank weekly from 3000-4500psi. I’d have to look at the hours. But I am very pleased with it for my needs. 

I choose it because I live in an apartment and didn’t want to piss off the neighbors. It’s about as loud as the washer when running. If I was at my home in an another state I would have went with a 220V unit. 

jtnm

I am sold on the Omega turbocharger, and the prompt support from AOA. The compressors main strongpoint is its SO quiet I only use it indoors in my den, where the air can be cleaner and cooler (in summer). Auto bleed and shutoff, as well as hour meter and easy lubing also ice the cake. Only used it about 50hrs now but it took about a year .... had issue with tiny electric water pump, but it was a ten minute swapout for cheap from AOA’s friendly service guy. 

I had four other compressors in my “airgun career”, and they pretty much all expired from heat issues .....( all were fan-air cooled). This one has a fan, but it blows thru a radiator and is water cooled. This compressor isnt very fast, but I see the advantage because it doesnt heat the tank so much the pressure drops a few hundred psi after its filled to 4500ps, like the others did. Fill time isnt that important for me, though it typically a couple hours, since I have a half dozen tanks and some of my guns use very little air and also pretty low charge pressure (typically under 1400psi), so a tank fill lasts a long time.

LD

No one ever shows the time it takes for the Turbo Omaga to fill. Why? I'm interested in them, but not without data. 

Knife

Tominco did a video showing both the Supercharger and the Turbocharger filling tanks along with data.

I tried to find that for you guys but it looks like all of his videos are gone. I have watched it a few times myself.

No one ever shows the time it takes for the Turbo Omaga to fill. Why? I'm interested in them, but not without data. 

Knife

0.13 cfm (8 cfh) Shoebox

0.73 cfm (44 cfh) Omega Turbocharger

1.1 cfm MCH3, Daystate 110

3.4 cfm MCH6, Daystate Type 2

That gives you an idea of relative fill times. Actual time will depend on size of the tank and how much air it needs to top off.

Knife

Tominco did a video showing both the Supercharger and the Turbocharger filling tanks along with data.

I tried to find that for you guys but it looks like all of his videos are gone. I have watched it a few times myself.

That's really too bad. They were informative and entertaining.

Knife

0.13 cfm (8 cfh) Shoebox

0.73 cfm (44 cfh) Omega Turbocharger

1.1 cfm MCH3, Daystate 110

3.4 cfm MCH6, Daystate Type 2

That gives you an idea of relative fill times. Actual time will depend on size of the tank and how much air it needs to top off.

Appreciated!

Knife

Used values are good on the Coltri. Only have to look at dive forums to find them. Alkin? no idea. Lots of fanfare, however, many of us were under the impression that the Alkin is a U.S. made compressor. I now learn that it is from Turkey. considering the state of affairs between our two countries, will parts continue to be available? I have NO idea. Scarry! 

Ended up picking up a yong heng compressor at a good price from walmart. Jumped on it because there were only three left. Got it because it is semi portable at 40 ibs vs the 100ib ones. Which will make me less apprehensive about the weight of a larger unit. I am going to mess around with the YH until a decent used higher end compressor comes to market. I went ahead and ordered the gold filter everyone is using. What else should I pick up for it?

I have a Yong Heng that I routinely use to fill an Air Venturi Avenger to 300 bar (4,350 p.s.i.) as well as other lower pressure guns without any issue. I use the moisture filter it came with and a larger one inline. I paid about $300 for it from Amazon and it works very well and fills even faster than some of the higher dollar name brands mentioned. I've only had it for about 6 months so I can't speak to its longevity, but parts are readily available for it and are cheap to buy. I don't have a carbon fiber tank yet but have read about other owners using it to fill smaller bottles.

Does anyone have any recommendations on Coltri MCH6 Vs Alkin W31? The coltri is about $750 cheaper delivered to me.

The Alkin is a step up in cost and you get what you pay for either. Both are good compressors with similar quality. The Alkin is more expensive ($3200 vs $2500), heavier (140lb vs 90lb), performs a little better (3.7cfm vs 3.4cfm), and has a longer service interval. I decided that the Coltri was the minimum, cheapest compressor that would really do the job for me, and the dealer was not far from me. Had a local dealer stocked the Alkin, I might have gotten it instead. The Alkin is a bigger/heavier compressor, so maybe the vertical Alkin W31 on wheels if you need to move it yourself. There are more expensive compressors than either that might be even better for someone. Either The W31 or MCH6 is a good compressor for the prices charged.

I have a Coltri that I like it so far. I have only been using it for a few months, so yet to see how it holds up long term.

My opinion: If you are charging tanks once a week, the Coltri. If you are charging tanks every day, the Alkin.

Does anyone have any recommendations on Coltri MCH6 Vs Alkin W31? The coltri is about $750 cheaper delivered to me.

The Alkin is a step up in cost and you get what you pay for either. Both are good compressors with similar quality. The Alkin is more expensive ($3200 vs $2500), heavier (140lb vs 90lb), performs a little better (3.7cfm vs 3.4cfm), and has a longer service interval. I decided that the Coltri was the minimum, cheapest compressor that would really do the job for me, and the dealer was not far from me. Had a local dealer stocked the Alkin, I might have gotten it instead. The Alkin is a bigger/heavier compressor, so maybe the vertical Alkin W31 on wheels if you need to move it yourself. There are more expensive, compressors than the either that might be even better for someone. Either The W31 or MCH6 is a good compressor for the prices charged.

I have a Coltri that I like so far. I have only been using it for a few months, so yet to see how it holds up long term.

My opinion: If you are charging tanks once a week, the Coltri. If you are charging tanks every day, the Alkin.

I'll take issue with part of this-my gas powered MCH6 compressor feels entirely underutilized running a couple of times a week. It feels as if it COULD run every day, if not multiple times per day, and have a nice long lifespan. Is the Alkin even better in that regard? Quite possibly so, but the question seems to be how much is enough.

I'll take issue with part of this-my gas powered MCH6 compressor feels entirely underutilized running a couple of times a week. It feels as if it COULD run every day, if not multiple times per day, and have a nice long lifespan. Is the Alkin even better in that regard? Quite possibly so, but the question seems to be how much is enough.

I used my MCH6 three times already this week and twice last week. Not a problem. If the Coltri holds up, and the more frequent service interval is not a problem, then the Alkin would not be my choice (and it wasn't). But there are situations where the Alkin might be the better choice. How much is enough? The answer will depend on each person's needs.