Concerns for indoor shooting???

There have been studies about lead in indoor gun ranges. Most of the lead put into the air is from the primers, not the bullets. The lead needs to be heated to get into the air. The dust from your trap will simply settle on the ground. If you were casting bullets, ventilation would be important. If you are worried and want the dust contained, then build a Duct seal or rubber mulch trap.

My experience is that there will be some lead dust produced when the pellets smack that steel trap. If that concerns you, close off the front with cardboard and take it outside to empty it. I try to stick with pistols and low powered rifles indoors for that reason. They don't seem to produce a lot of dust in the first place, and what little I do see gets picked up when I vacuum out the paper scraps.

I use a foam archery target. No muss, no fuss, no extra noises of the pellet hitting the backstop. The no cleanup is a very good thing. Lasts years. Most are double sided, so in a year or so, when the first side is getting punched in, turn it around and start again, to another years-plus of shooting. I just use paper targets stuck to the foam with a piece of steel, punched into the foam.

NO...lead dust except what may come out of the barrel.

Mike

I bought a plastic tub about 6-7" deep and filled it with rubber mulch. I then laid a piece of plastic sign board on top of the mulch. A hole the size of an 8-1/2x11" target was cut out of the lid. Put the lid on and you're good to go. I screwed a metal clip on to the lid to hold the target. Stand the tub on edge and bounce it a couple times to settle the mulch and refill. Mount the target lower on the lid to make sure you have solid mulch behind it. If you have the target mounted too high and the mulch settles your pellets will blow thru the plastic tub when shooting the top row of targets. This results in a whole bunch of holes in the drywall behind it 😭 and the purchase of a new tub. I'm shooting .177 rifles at 805 & 940 fps.

An old article from 2013, but I think it answers questions about the dangers of indoor air gun ranges and lead contamination.

The key thing, imo, is to make sure everyone washes their hands after handling lead pellets. Especially youngsters.

Daisy lead free pellets are also an option if you are really concerned about the lead.

As the article points out, they are not as accurate as lead pellets and therefore not the best choice for competition. 

Having said that, I shot them for a couple of years when my youngest grandson was born and imo they were fine for indoor practice.

https://www.usashooting.org/library/Youth_Development/HS_and_College_Programs/LeadMgtGuideUSASCMP.pdf