Congratulations to all the Olympic airgun competitors.

Team USA typically does well in 10M Air. In Tokyo we got a gold and a couple of silver medals. Prior to that in Rio we got a gold. This year best we did was a 4th in Women’s 10M. It’s a tough sport. To put it in perspective look at the period at the end of each of my sentences. To be in the running you have to hit that period 60 times out of 60 shots off hand. If you don’t hit that period you don’t get a 10. You have to score 10’s to win.

IMG_1563.jpeg

I don’t agree that the shooting sports are dying. The media will say anything to make shooters look like Hannibal Lector but that doesn’t make it true. I participate in a half dozen 10 meter matches a year and while I enjoy all of it I’m far from the best. Kids from probably sixth grade through seniors in their 70’s are there and most of them are shooting dime size groups and better. I’ve gotten into rimfire sportier matches too and they do pretty well in attendance. I’ve watched a few videos of 10 meter matches and if you aren’t a shooter they can be mind numbingly boring. Television is a visual medium and Simone Biles is going to draw a huge audience, shooting not so much.

Rick H.

We have about 10,000 kids shooting competitive air rifle every year. A lot of 3P air. A lot of high school JROTC programs combined with shooting clubs. I got into this as my daughter tried out for her MCJROTC rifle team her freshman year of HS. I lived the life and followed her all over the country watching her shoot matches, still do. She now shoots NCAA college rifle and heads back for her sophomore year in about 10 days. It’s a cool sport. There were some matches where she, a HS kid, was shooting next to an Olympian in a match. It’s a tough sport. Mostly mental. You can’t make mistakes. If you do make mistakes you can’t give up as everyone else makes mistakes. With the advent of electronic scoring it is fun to watch. You can see every shot in real time and know the score of each shot and the overall score. Even during the Covid year where my wife and I couldn’t attended most of the matches we could pull the match up, put it on our big screen TV and watch the match. It’s an emotional roller coaster from shot to shot. The attached picture was from the Olympic TraiNing Center in CO Springs last summer. This shows a typical electronic score board. You get to see each shot as it happens and what each shot scored. If they still used paper targets, I agree it would be boring watching and hanging out for an hour or more after the match to see who won. Now days you know immediately who is ahead, behind, and who won. The cool thing is I can pull this up on my phone, iPad, computer, TV, etc. if I can’t be at the match I can watch it shot to shot on my phone.

IMG_1036.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Airgun Al
Though we didn't make the finals or win medals in 10M rifle or pistol we did in women’s 3P Smallbore. Sagan Meddalena came in first in qualification today and I believe set a new Olympic record for qualifications. She will be shooting finals and going for the gold at 2:30AM CST in the morning. I will be getting out of bed to watch. Sagan also came in 4th in Women’s 10M air so she has been competitive in France. Also of note Stephanie Grundsoe, who is shooting for Demark, made the 3P finals. Though Stephanie is not shooting for the USA, she did shoot for the TCU rifle team the past 5 years and just graduated in May.

Reactions: thomasair
Team USA typically does well in 10M Air. In Tokyo we got a gold and a couple of silver medals. Prior to that in Rio we got a gold. This year best we did was a 4th in Women’s 10M. It’s a tough sport. To put it in perspective look at the period at the end of each of my sentences. To be in the running you have to hit that period 60 times out of 60 shots off hand. If you don’t hit that period you don’t get a 10. You have to score 10’s to win.

View attachment 484522
i have been trying to locate this target , where did you get these ? USA or EU ?

i have been trying to locate this target , where did you get these ? USA or EU ?
Amazing ain't it ? You know I always say USA is a afterthought and look at all that nice air gun stuff the rest of the world got available ..lol. You got what they don't want or need ..lol

Probly other nations like china and especially India got wads of shooters there and we got somebody I guess ..lol

Just issf targets

10m air rifle and pistol
10m air rifle .png
issf 10m pistol.png

https://www.newenglandairguns.com/issf-10m-pistol-target-by-kruger-250-count.html

Funny no rifle .. go figure

Ps.. edit

Apparently the nra ar5/xx 10m air rifle is comparable to the issf .

No info on if the NRA and issf are as well ( I bet it is now ).

Last edited:
Reactions: Air King