Corbin Swaging Press Input

That HBC .22 sounds promising. Has anyone been able to try them out.
A follow up to my comments yesterday. I did call Kelly at Corbin Mfg. I explained what was going on. He said something was not right. He packed up a new punch while we were talking and said it would go out today no charge.
I also asked about HBC slug dies. He said they had been testing and making sure they would stand up before releasing them. And they will be coming soon! I'm very excited about these! Can't wait to shoot these in my Panthers 22 and 25.

A follow up to my comments yesterday. I did call Kelly at Corbin Mfg. I explained what was going on. He said something was not right. He packed up a new punch while we were talking and said it would go out today no charge.
I also asked about HBC slug dies. He said they had been testing and making sure they would stand up before releasing them. And they will be coming soon! I'm very excited about these! Can't wait to shoot these in my Panthers 22 and 25.
Now, that's customer service. Not making excuses etc. Report back on the .22 HBC's once received.

When I call Kelly tomorrow I will ask about them as well. They do show a rebaited boat tail base as an option. This may be the base used with a different nose.

I was talking with NDwind about the option of a melplat nose, thinking something like the eley eps round. I have a press for the 22lr that can make them, but nothing for a slug.

Well talked with Kelly and paid for my press. Should be a week or two till shipment.

Yay another rabbit hole! Now I need to sell some of my rc equipment
This new Corbin company has some great customer service up there in the northwest! I've been playing with my Slayer and fine tuning a long range slug with their S press and 357 die sets lately. When the Evol 223 comes available I'll be "all in" there too, ordering dies for a sleek-nosed rebated boat tail slug at the high end of the weight scale.

A word of advice when ordering dies.... If you buy a die set that fits only one small diameter barrel, then you will always have small slugs. However, if you buy the die set a little bit bigger in diameter and then size down the final slug diameter to match the requirements of the barrel's of the gun(s) they need to fit, you can use that die set for multiple larger sized barrels also. Meaning, an oversized die set can accommodate multiple barrels, one slugging at .217 and another at .218 or even .219, or .3005 and .3015, etc.

A word of advice when ordering dies.... If you buy a die set that fits only one small diameter barrel, then you will always have small slugs. However, if you buy the die set a little bit bigger in diameter and then size down the final slug diameter to match the requirements of the barrel's of the gun(s) they need to fit, you can use that die set for multiple larger sized barrels also. Meaning, an oversized die set can accommodate multiple barrels, one slugging at .217 and another at .218 or even .219, or .3005 and .3015, etc.
To a certain extent. I wouldn't resize more than a .001 if you expect good results.

Just got a tracking number for my package. Should be here next week sometime!
Must be nice I ordered a couple hollow point pins and a base punch over 2 months ago and haven’t heard crap!!! lol

The worst part is that the 2 hollow point ejector pins should have came with my die sets because I order the hollow ojive/normal hollow point sets and they only came with the hollow ojive ejector pins.

Today's a year since your original post.
Plus a year of "reading about presses, certain types of dies, and watching videos".
Just curious what you've learned/decided.

I already gave my .02
@Long_Shot S-Press .357. I’ve learned a bit about swaging. Still learning.
I'd like to expound on the question in the first quote with a further response. So I explained what I'd decided, but did not ay much about what I'd learned. When I was asked this question, I had ordered and received my press, but was a still waiting on other components to arrive. I'd already began reading a book on swaging by Dave Corbin in attempt to better understand what I was getting into. I'd watched numerous YouTube videos, but still lacked enough context to understand all that I was reading, seeing, and hearing. At the most fundamental level I lacked knowledge of all of the components comprising the S press and die sets. Because of this I stopped reading the book until the press was assembled. I did continue reading bulletins posted on the old Corbin site. Fast forward a few months, I was able to set up my press and start experimenting with the swaging process and some things I'd read began making more sense (some things I had to re-read). This prompted me to create the following thread and the press diagram towards the beginning of the thread.

I figured that I couldn't or wouldn't be the last person to encounter the issue of complete ignorance. I have a greater understanding thanks to people like @Ca_Varminter @CBusari @Long_Shot @Airgun-hobbyist Nick from @nielsenammo and others who have been helpful in taking time to share information and/or answer questions. Some folks at Corbin have been helpful as well as busy as they can get, particularly Kelly. I just figured ti was time to fully address the question.

Last edited:
Have been plugging away with my set up. Been playing with the boat tail base as well to see if these shoot any better. Hoping to shoot this weekend to see what happens.

Lots of 218 30gr dish base slugs, and slugs from 28-30 grains in .5 grain jumps in the boat tail.

This system from Corbin is a great way to ensure the quality of your ammo. Extremely easy and very well built. Hell if I cam do it most people here can as well.

20240817_203806.jpg
20240818_132140.jpg
20240821_195617.jpg

Last edited: