N/A Cost estimate per shot

As a comparison I shoot Berger VLD hunting bullets in my 6mm and '06.

Those rascals are .50 each for just the projectile. Lapua brass is a buck a pop and I get 10-12 shots if I'm careful. Add a primer and a pinch of powder and you are looking at almost a buck per round. You have some time and money into developing that round. And time reloading which isn't nothing.

Do that a quarter million times and it's a pile of frogskins and a few expensive barrels.

It's an unfair comparison to pellet ammo but still.....

As a comparison I shoot Berger VLD hunting bullets in my 6mm and '06.

Those rascals are .50 each for just the projectile. Lapua brass is a buck a pop and I get 10-12 shots if I'm careful. Add a primer and a pinch of powder and you are looking at almost a buck per round. You have some time and money into developing that round. And time reloading which isn't nothing.

Do that a quarter million times and it's a pile of frogskins and a few expensive barrels.

It's an unfair comparison to pellet ammo but still.....
But it's also rewarding and fun. Reloading is a money pit in itself, and on another level from air guns, which is a money pit in itself..lol.

I am in my 12th year of retirement and i have to admit i am having a ball ! I also have to admit i have covid to thank . might sound a bit off but before covid i had lunches and meetings at least 4 days a week sometimes lunch and a night meeting the same day . Then the shut down and we stayed home and i started shooting the air guns i had at the house and only going to the range to shoot (PB) benchrest alone . i went to the range less and less and bought more Air , i cannot tell you when the last time i went to the range was? 2 years ,3years ? more ? Haven't really paid attention to time . Today i think i will Hmmm???????????????????????????
Stan in KY

Same. I was having a big hernia operation right as covid first started. I decided to get a Diana airgun to shoot while I recovered. Covid happened. I started shooting a bunch. It's been that way since.

I go into the shop planning on reloading for the varmint gun. I wind up staring at the air rifle. It's a vicious cycle I can't seem to break.

Last edited:
But it's also rewarding and fun. Reloading is a money pit in itself, and on another level from air guns, which is a money pit in itself..lol.

It's saved me money. Been doing it 50 years. Collected enough stuff to keep me going indefinitely. Most was handed down from old timers when they passed on.

I like shooting good bullets. That's about all I buy unless I want to try another powder that I don't have on the shelf. I could shoot Speer bullets and IMR4350 for years and never buy a thing.

Still it has value. Even if I acquired it for a song over the years when it was worth much less.

I shoot 40-50 rounds before deer and elk season in the '06. Then shoot a hundred or so in the winter through the varmint gun.

I didn't load for the varminter last year because I was too busy shooting a springer at green army men and plastic dinosaurs.

I am truly entering my second childhood. I'm hoping for a red Ryder BB gun this Christmas

H110 and H335 are a couple of My Faves...

The new powders really are better than the old IMR stuff.

Here it will go from 20 degrees at night to 85 during the day during the hunt. Altitude from 3000 ft. to 12,000 feet. It can get -20 in the winter and 110 in the summer. The old IMR powders just don't cut it.

I shoot H4350 in the .243. Super good propellant for light bullets. It works dandy in the '06 with the 125's too. It's as good as anything out there. Handles extremes well.

I use H335 in the .223 rem. It's a great powder for smaller case capacities. It's versatile too. I can use it in almost every rifle I have and make good loads. Runs easy in the trickler too.

Reactions: bustachip
Same here. I use light Projectiles in the .243 as well as in My .223 for coyote hunting.

Try those 85 grain Berger VLD's in the 243. Amazing accuracy. The only bullet I've found that will fly 500 yards under 1/2 MOA.

You need a 9 twist or better to stabilize them. Mine is 9.25 and can shoot those long bullets up to 95 grs just fine.

They load longer than magazine length in my short action Rem 700VS. So it's one at a time. But DAMN those bullets shoot fine. Far superior to any Sierra or Hornady bullet. At distances over 250 yards the difference is vast.

I took 3 shots on a 600 yard prarie dog to hit him. My buddy had 12 on a 580 yard dog. He shoots a much more accurate gun than I. He skimps on his projectiles though and it negates all the money he spent on that fancy rifle.

Last edited:
What ever it is. It's much less than powder burners. Even as ridiculously expensive PCPs and all the support equipment goes, its still cheaper than high end rimfire and centerfire rifles.

As long as your not shorting your family important time or using their food money, who cares? Life is short. Also enjoy it with the best equipment you can easily afford. You can't take it with you, so why wrestle cheap equipment?

My 2cts

Reactions: Bedrock Bob
To shoot a powder burner as many times as a pellet gun would be an astronomical cost. I spent less shooting a powderburner than I do now shooting a pellet rifle. But I shot a lot fewer rounds.

My shooting budget increased when I started shooting air rifles. But the shot count increased exponentially.

My biggest joy with springers is I can shoot as much as I want to within budget. I can afford to shoot a pellet gun for hours a day. Almost anywhere I want. Every day if I want to.

It sets you free. You can afford to develop skills that would not be possible with a powderburner. For me they are training rifles first but they fill a hobby and recreation niche as well.

I think they are the best thing since 50 cent tacos.

To shoot a powder burner as many times as a pellet gun would be an astronomical cost. I spent less shooting a powderburner than I do now shooting a pellet rifle. But I shot a lot fewer rounds.

My shooting budget increased when I started shooting air rifles. But the shot count increased exponentially.

My biggest joy with springers is I can shoot as much as I want to within budget. I can afford to shoot a pellet gun for hours a day. Almost anywhere I want. Every day if I want to.

It sets you free. You can afford to develop skills that would not be possible with a powderburner. For me they are training rifles first but they fill a hobby and recreation niche as well.

I think they are the best thing since 50 cent tacos.
I agree with you on just about everything. We differ on one thing. IMO springers are better than 50 cent tacos. I don't like tacos. 😆 Love my springers. If you can shoot them well you can shoot anything well.

The only thing I don't like about my springers is the POI changes during long sessions on hot sunny days. This happens with Weihrauchs more than some other brands. When I get my shop built some day I'm gonna fix that. Until then I'll try to shoot in the shade and rotate the rifles I shoot sooner on those hot days. Lord knows I have enough of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bedrock Bob