Crosman 1077

I just purchased a Crosman 1077 and I know there has been many who have complained about co2 leaks and others who have said the 1077 is the best gun they've ever owned, but I do not see any useful info mentioned in order for me to compare the functionality or problems others are having with my experience, such as what brand co2 cartridge are they using, environment temperature, and any other variables that may effect the shots per co2. I've watched tests that have compared co2 brands and have shown that some are more dependable and better than others, but nothing in relationship the the Crosman 1077. With that said, here are my results and any input would be appreciated, as for me, I'm a little disappointed.

1) Using Sig co2 cartridges I had on hand
2) Tested with various pellets (Hobby, RWS R10, Excite, Destroyer, Diablo)
3) Temperature was 75 degrees
4) Distance was 20 yards. (I know most shoot at 10 yards, but I like the challenge)

So here's my disappointment and I'd like to hear from others ...

First, I'd like to mention, at 20 yards with an inexpensive scope, 12 shots landed within 3/4" grouping and I'm happy with that. But on the next (second) clip, the first 6 shots, you can feel and see the decline in co2, as the hits were dropping on the target and the next 6 shots in the same clip seemed to have trouble getting a few pellets out. There was nothing wrong with the pellets, as I just reloaded the clip and swapped out the co2 and they all fired.

With that said, I was only able to shoot 24 shots max per co2, half of which showed diminishing power. I guess if I was at 10 yards instead of 20 yards I wouldn't have noticed the drop, but again, I like the challenge.

I gotta say that I am impressed with the accuracy at 20 yards, but curious as to what everyone else is getting (shots per co2), as I hear some saying only around 21-25 shots and others saying 40-70 shots per co2. But there is no additional info given as to see why the big difference. Is it the brand co2 cartridge? Could it be the temperature of the cartridge or environment? Or maybe the 1077's used have slight seal or other problems.

Note: I do want to mention that I did not hear any co2 leaks. But that doesn't mean there isn't one not noticeable. I'm just trying to see if I have a seal problem on a new rifle or maybe the Sig co2 cartridges may not be too compatible with the 1077.

And are there any recommendations? The cost of switching out the co2 after every 24 shots along with the cost of pellets, for another 2 cents per shot, I could be shooting a real firearm, as .22lr ammo isn't much more.

Looking forward in hearing from others.

Reactions: Treefrog
I’m using crosman CO2 cartridges and Crosman Destroyer X pellets. I get 24 good shots from a cartridge. I e used it to kill jackrabbits and ground squirrels out to 20 yards.
Okay, cool. So you are also only getting 24 shots, except you're getting 24 "good" shots, where as only my first 12 are good. I guess I'll give the Crosman co2's a try, as that might make the difference and they are also cheaper.

I'm still wondering how some individuals are stating they get 40-70 shots out, but then again without more detail, there is no way to compare. But thank you for the update, as it will lead me in a positive direction.

Sorry I do not have a 1077 (but if someone wants to send one I'l test the wheels off of it! ;)) but, figuring any Co2 rig one needs to also take rate of fire into account. When Co2 ruled some compitions NO one would have shot without at least 60 seconds between firing & 2 minutes is better.
Years ago had a flying dragon QB - sealed tube, 2 carts- running right at 19.8fpe. With that one if you just shot as you would any pre-charged normally I could Really see shots lowering AND shot count. Just a Full 60 seconds (2mim was better yet) greatly helped both fps spread and shot count. Really hot out and waiting (forever) a timed 60 seconds minimum and I got 20 good shots from 2 carts. Totally different design but Co2 is Co2. Give it a try.

John

Reactions: nyrainman
Sorry I do not have a 1077 (but if someone wants to send one I'l test the wheels off of it! ;)) but, figuring any Co2 rig one needs to also take rate of fire into account. When Co2 ruled some compitions NO one would have shot without at least 60 seconds between firing & 2 minutes is better.
Years ago had a flying dragon QB - sealed tube, 2 carts- running right at 19.8fpe. With that one if you just shot as you would any pre-charged normally I could Really see shots lowering AND shot count. Just a Full 60 seconds (2mim was better yet) greatly helped both fps spread and shot count. Really hot out and waiting (forever) a timed 60 seconds minimum and I got 20 good shots from 2 carts. Totally different design but Co2 is Co2. Give it a try.

John
Good stuff - thank you.

When shooting, I did take some time to view the target through the scope and then aimed, taking my time before the next trigger pull. But with that said, it definitely wasn't 60 seconds or more. Most likely about 15, maybe 20 seconds. So I will give it a try and take more time and see. I also ordered Crosman co2's to see if that will make a difference over the Sig co2's.

I will update after my next test ...

If I remember correctly, the Crosman 600 pistol gets (maybe) 30 shots from a cartridge. Mostly because it uses some of the co2 pressure to cycle the action (like the 1077 does). So that's some loss of velocity. Co2 also boils off from liquid for each shot and that takes a second or two to happen, so rapid firing will cost some velocty, too. Co2 is also a refrigerant, so it cools the action off a little with each shot and as the temp goes down, so does velocity / energy.

You might be able to bump up the number of shots some. You can double the number of shots you get out of a cartridge by lightening the hammer strike and restricting the port that feeds the gas to the barrel on a bolt-action co2 rifle. But it does cost a little in velocity.

Hoping this helps.

Cheers,

J~

Edit - After looking at this, I don't think there's much you can do. - https://www.airgunhome.com/pages/1077disassembly.html

Last edited: