Crosman 1720 vs. HW44

I had time and good weather today to compare my Crosman 1701 to 1720 conversion (both in .177) with my new HW44. Both pistols are equally accurate (see targets below).

The main pro for the 1720 is price and ease of modification.

The HW44 is slightly lighter, has multi shot capability (10 shot magazine), better trigger and more stock power. I also like the balance of the HW44 better (scope choice may be the reason).

I believe the 1720 has the capability to get to 12fpe with a larger TP and additional tuning. The HW44 would require de-tunning to get down to 12fpe.

My shooting is mostly at various steel targets set at various distances from 20 to 60 yards. I mainly use reflex micro dot style sights on my pistols and will probably replace the scopes on these pistols after I get an idea of how accurate the pistols are. Based on balance with the scopes I think the HW44 will be a better-balanced pistol than the 1720 with reflex micro dot sights on both.

My 1720 conversion is configured as follows:
Crosman 1701 converted to 1720
Huma Regulator
TP = 0.80”
TKO Moderator
DonnyFL moderator adapter
Steven Corcoran Forearm & Grip
Optisan CP 3-12x32P Scope
UTG Accushot Scope Rings
Weight as configured – 5lb

My HW44 is stock as delivered
Hawke 4-16x33 Airmax 30 SF Compact Scope
Sportsmatch Rings
Weight as configured - 4lb 12oz

HW44
Pellet JSB 10.34gr
Target 10yards
Shot count: 19 (forgot to power up Chrony for first shot – shot 20 pellets at targets)
Low: 728 (don’t know what happened for this one shot – all the other shots were around + 6fps of the average velocity prior to and after this shot)
Hi: 761
Avg: 755
Spread: 33
STD Dev: 6.9

1720 conversion
Pellet JSB 10.34gr
Target 10yards
Shot count: 20
Low: 677
Hi: 689
Avg: 683
Spread: 12
STD Dev: 3.0

Jun 24 Target.JPG

HW44.JPG

1701-1720 Conversion.JPG

The 1720 was my first PCP. Still stock, shoots fine but I've been looking for a magazine fed 177 PCP pistol. I've been eyeballing the HW44 for a while now. Pricey but I feel it checks all the boxes. @fderry That blue stock on your 1720 is sharp!! Mine has the cheapy plastic brace on it now. If I come across a good deal on some upgrades then I may have to jump in.

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Beautiful rigs!🤩
If I could afford/acquire a hw44...bye bye most of my other pistols🥴😅🤷‍♂️😶‍🌫️
Couldn't agree with you anymore. I purchased a Marauder and put a tactical upgrade on it an the quality difference in all my other pistols feel like junk next to it. This HW 44 scares me to death in that I might demote my brand new marauder purchase. One feature I like about both a lot; back yard friendly, especially the HW. I will say if you're into less than lethal the Walther PPQ 43 is a huge amount of fun and feels real.

The 1720 was my first PCP. Still stock, shoots fine but I've been looking for a magazine fed 177 PCP pistol. I've been eyeballing the HW44 for a while now. Pricey but I feel it checks all the boxes. @fderry That blue stock on your 1720 is sharp!! Mine has the cheapy plastic brace on it now. If I come across a good deal on some upgrades then I may have to jump in.
Finally picked up an HW44 in .177 😁 thanks to a fellow AGNer. Great pistol. USPS just dropped off a new UTG 2-7x32 Accushot pistol scope. I gotta go......

so, you guys like these pistols and they are big pistols at that and i am a Contender-Encore man myself so big pistol are find with me
here is the ringer, the Notos with the pistol grips added the price of the kit is so cheap and the Notos has been killing it in reviews and is shooting 20FPE
i do not have a PCP anything but i'm so tempted to buy one just because

so, you guys like these pistols and they are big pistols at that and i am a Contender-Encore man myself so big pistol are find with me
here is the ringer, the Notos with the pistol grips added the price of the kit is so cheap and the Notos has been killing it in reviews and is shooting 20FPE
i do not have a PCP anything but i'm so tempted to buy one just because
marflow 777 - I bought a Notos on a 4th of July sale from Natchez, delivered to my door, for $230.58. I didn't need the Notes but for that price I couldn't pass it up based on all the buzz about the Notos. It is shooting .22 cal JSB 14.35gr pellets at an average of 770fps with an ES of 10fps for 22 shots. So it compares with the 1720 and HW44 from a consistency point of view and shot count. It is close to 20fpe which is better than the 1720/HW44.. What doesn't compare is the trigger and ergonomics as a pistol. But if you do a little sanding and polishing on the Notos trigger components you can make it acceptable. I will use the Notos as a carbine and the only mod I did is the trigger. For me I prefer the 1720 and HW44 as pistols with the edge going to the HW44 (better pistol ergonomics/balance/trigger). But if a person was starting out, strapped for funds or thrifty I would recommend the Notes without hesitation. Excellent performance as a carbine/pistol for the dollar.

Reactions: nobody1
if the Notos LDC or modulator could come off it would shorten the package and i would love to see the trigger assembly
i have taken the Chaser triggers and completely rebuilt them
form new screws and pins and shims and trigger stop, so not the trigger moves 1.5mm and that is it, safety went bye, bey but who cares
Natchez that is a name i know well, even Umarex is selling them cheaper then PA
i enjoyed your insight
mike

@marflow 777 The notos trigger blade/sear setup is nearly if not actually identical to the chaser. Looks the same as my bandit and pp800. I think if I were to start from scratch, though, the first gun I'd get would be a pp700. But ultimately the notos would be more cost effective if you wanted something that would also be a carbine. Included moderator is a plus. And multi-shot.