Crosman 177 10.5 grain

I bought a SnowPeak P35 in 177 a few months ago and have enjoyed figuring out what pellets it prefers. I figured out quickly it does not like H&N Baracuda Match in 4.52 head size but likes H&N Baracuda Power. They are copper plated but also 4.50 head size. I got to thinking about it and ordered some Match in 4.50 head size and they shoot great too. Then I decided to try an old tin of Crosman 10.5s. Surprisingly they shot every bit as well as the H&Ns. I even shot the same 184 score on the 30 yard challenge with both the H&N and Crosman pellets.

Then I bought a new tin. They shoot like the H&N 4.52s so I think there is a good chance they have bigger head size. I guess I should get a head size gauge and sort them but that's not obviously a great idea for $10/tin pellets. Probably cheaper just to shoot the H&Ns.

Anybody see something similar with Crosman pellets? Thoughts?

Reactions: pdxFrank
The modern 10.5gr pellets tend to be oversized and with pronounced parting lines and flashing and other defects indicative of worn dies being used past their useful life.

By modern I mean since about 2014. Prior to that, the 10.5gr in the tins were routinely producing better groups than even the supposed single-die boxed variety sold in recent years.

I only got into airguns seriously after retiring in 2019. So all my pellets would be modern if we use 2014 as the dividing line. I see parting lines on most of them but still the one tin shot well. I have another tin I haven't shot for groups yet, I need to test it too. I saved a dozen or more from the "good" tin so I can do a comparison if I decide to bite the bullet and get a head size gauge.

I had the same issue with the 10.5s in one of my rifles I had. Sadly it was the only pellet I found that would group good with that rifle. I tried about 10 different kinds and then sold it off before wasting more money and having tins of pellets sitting collecting dust.

I now am thinning my collection down to rifles that will shoot cheap crosmans well vs having to but premium pellets because the price keeps going up and the quality keeps going down. My 25 cal thankfully likes a few different pellets, prefers hades and polymags and baracudas. I've noticed recently even the hades are coming with more and more defects on the skirts. Quality is slipping in every industry across the board. Work ethic sure ain't what it used to be.