Crosman 2300S - Good, Bad or Ugly?

Winter is here and looking for indoor shooting platforms. Co2 should be fine indoors. This looks like a good platform. Lots of tuning potential. Can it shoot accurately? How loud? Please give me your humble opinions and thanks!

I havent had a 2300s, but have built many 2240/2250/2400, guns with the 2 stage Prod triggers and they were excellent co2 pistols. Not too loud, don't hurt my ears in the basement. 22 is louder than the 177s. I did convert a couple 2400s to pcp and could get some serious power for a couple shots out of them. 10 inch barrel getting 25-30 fpe was cool but LOUD.
20210804_191426.jpg
20210331_201506.jpg

Pics of my 2 near bottom of page in link below. The one with a red dot is a Custom shop 2300 .22 cal. Bought it used, liked it so much I bought the 2300S. If you feel like tinkering the 2400XL is a great little .22 at a great price, but with a terrible trigger. Can be worked on or after market trigger can be had for under $50.

Only thing I don't like (and I had one for a while) is the cocking lever on right. I always had to break my grip to cock it. I prefer lever on left (I'm a "righty"). Other than that it's a nice pistol.
Baker airguns and Alchemy Airwerks carry left hand aluminum breeches. When I'm bench shooting I love the left bolt because you don't have to move your grip hand and the gun can stay sestednin the rest. Got to the point with my 2260 pcp I didn't even have to move my head and eye from the scope. Just reach with the left hand, open the bolt, drop a pellet in, and lock the bolt and shoot still on target.

Reactions: rsfrid
I have the custom shop one,great CO2 pistol,Vernon Austin grips....if you are thinking of modifying get the least expensive Crosman...if you what quiet with Great accuracy , a great shot count, do not mind pumping the Crosman 1701 is the best way to go.....
So yes, your choice is a good choice.

I do not own a Co2 pistol, already have a 1701p and HW44. So the 2300's are loud?

I do not own a Co2 pistol, already have a 1701p and HW44. So the 2300's are loud?
Not overly, but I don’t know how sound carries in your basement. I think I’d want ear plugs in. Excellent pistol. CO2 likes warm air, so if your basement is cool you won’t get the same performance you’d get in warm weather.

Reactions: maxtrouble
Not overly, but I don’t know how sound carries in your basement. I think I’d want ear plugs in. Excellent pistol. CO2 likes warm air, so if your basement is cool you won’t get the same performance you’d get in warm weather.
Actually CO2 does great in a basement that's 64-66 degrees. Ask me how I know! 🤣😂

Simply getting the hammer spring tension adjusted properly will go a long way toward quieting the report. Two additional benefits are high shot count and less susceptible to self-cooling that would otherwise cause a declining velocity.

If you want to carry it a step further, make a simple SSG to produce a free flight hammer.

@nervoustrig I read an interesting thread next door about just how over sprung the 2240 is for the barrel length. He was able to back the spring off a lot and conserve CO2 without losing velocity. As I recall he didn’t see significant effects until a 14.5” barrel and beyond, kind of in line with what you’re saying. Haven’t had a chance to test for myself yet but guessing it will be similar with the 2300.

I read an interesting thread next door about just how over sprung the 2240 is for the barrel length.
Yes the 2240 is very wasteful of CO2 in stock form. Unlike the 2300, it has no adjuster so the user is on his own to add one or take some other measure like an SSG or bstaley stack. I could be misremembering but I think the adjuster on the 2300 has sufficient range to get to the velocity knee with the short barrel.

Yes the 2240 is very wasteful of CO2 in stock form. Unlike the 2300, it has no adjuster so the user is on his own to add one or take some other measure like an SSG or bstaley stack. I could be misremembering but I think the adjuster on the 2300 has sufficient range to get to the velocity knee with the short barrel.
Will let you know when I get a chance to test.

Shot accuracy in the hands of someone better that I will tell you its a tack driver. I'll say this, when I do my part it hits the target out to 15 yards :)with the William sights. I just installed a red dot and put the stock on to see how that would be and I'm liking it (y) its my first red dot but I got the idea of using it pretty quick, however it is different and I'm waiting on making a IMHO statement. The sound is not bad I shoot in my garage all the time and that's on full power which by the way I've gotten over one hundred shots before the cartridge was done, now that its getting a bit cooler I've noticed the shot count is around 90. I never really use the power adjuster I did try playing with it once and it did work in fact so well that I could see the pellet while in flight:unsure:. Hope that helps you out in your decision...