Crosman Crosman M-130 ,22 caliber

Crosman M-130 ,22 caliber.

Hello to all;

I was, browsing a local Gun show some years ago and came across a table that had a Crosman M-130 .22 caliber pump pellet pistol on the table with a sign that said; “It don’t Work” make me an offer!! I was on my way out and said what the hell; I offered the guy 15 bucks and he said, it’s yours!!!!

That’s how I came to own a M-130, fellow said he didn’t know much about the pistol, got it in a trade with other items, and had no use for it. The pistol was the second variant with the formed metal pump handle and self-cocking system made from 1955 -1970; the first variant had a pinned wood handle on the pump arm and wood grip panels 1953-1954. (The Model .137 was the .177 caliber).

The pistol itself had a rather utilitarian look, with an aluminum breech, sliding bolt with cover, 8-inch rifled barrel, weight about 1 ¼ lb. blued steel finish, OAL 11 inches. A bent square wire looking front site (part of the front tube plug) and a diminutive rear site, which at first glance seems to be installed backwards!! It does have minimum lateral windage adjustment no elevation adjustment and, push type safety on frame, sold for $9.95 new.

Personally, I was never a big fan of the self-cocking systems; some had a propensity for firing during pumping or otherwise unintentional discharges! I made a habit of never loading a self-cocker until after it was pumped up and pointed downrange!! I have a Model 140 rifle, well actually one of my Grandsons has it now, and I can say however, that I never had an unintentional discharge, but have read of such instances and do take the precautions mentioned above. These systems also had the negative effect of increasing trigger pull weight with each successive pump!

I have read the self-cocking system was developed because the factory had numerous returns on standard bolt cocking rifles for valve lock from over pumping? Maybe, I don’t really know, but the self-cockers with the blow off /dump valve system activated by the trigger were finally eliminated from Crosmans catalog after 1970.

Mine set in the safe until recently; I finally decided to rebuild the M-130 to see what it had to offer as I have also read they were really pretty weak shooters. None of the factory info I have seen, ever quoted any velocity figures, just stated 3-5 pumps for most normal shooting? Anyway, we will find out!

The rebuild was pretty uneventful, Original O-rings dried/hard, rubber pump seal hard and dried out, quad seal crumbling etc. after a thorough cleaning and replacement of all seals the pistol was reassembled, I gave it 4 pumps and fired, got a pop, at least it was working!! I set up the Chronograph and since the factory recommended 3-5 pumps, I started out with 3 pumps using RWS Hobby pellets 11.9 grains and got a whopping 243 fps! Went to 5 pumps and got 303 fps and this was what the factory recommended?? Eight pumps 325fps, and 10 pumps 339fps.

I don’t know if this pistol is representative of the velocities too expect from one of these units or if it is an anomaly, this one certainly falls in to the aforementioned “Weak Shooter” category!! - Others may have far superior results velocity wise than I was able to achieve?? I was expecting about 350-395 fps on 8-10 pumps, guess I was expecting too much!!

I decided to move on to accuracy testing using the same RWS pellets and set up at 25 feet using 8 pumps for all shots but before I do, some reflection on my part; and my remarks about the low velocity numbers on this unit. The M-130-137 pistols were introduced in 1953; this is just 8 short years after the end of WW II, “CHRONOGRAPHS WERE UNHEARD OF IN THAT TIME FRAME” except in the Military and some scientific circles, and certainly not in the general public!! I can sit now and spout velocity numbers with ease because I have a chronograph!!! This was just not that relevant back then, making a tin can roll or shooting minnows in a pond certainly was and the M-130 is certainly capable of that!!! What I am saying after a bit of reflection, is I believe I was a bit too critical of my M-130 and the velocity it achieved. In 1953 it would have been perfectly acceptable! One can’t realistically compare satisfactory results today with satisfactory results from 67 years ago as they are based on completely different expectations!!

I think some of us suffer from “Magnumitis” now and then, certainly, I do at times, and I believe my remarks on the velocity of my M-130 above is one example of it!!!! After all, the Crosman 130 series were in production for 15 years!!

Anyhow on to the accuracy test, using 8 pumps, with the target set at 25 feet I shot a 5 shot group of 4 into .750” center to center to center with a flyer bringing the 5 shot group to 1.230”, the flyer was actually my fault!! At this I point decided to try some Crosman 14.3 grain PMHP; 5 shot group results 1.175” center to center. The pistol is capable of ¾” – 1.00” groups at 25 ft.

The groups were low, but I did not want to risk bending the front sight, so I just aimed about an inch high! This pistol is certainly a capable close range plinker; as I think it was designed for! I would bet that those folks who owned these pistols 60+ years ago were glad to have them; and I am pleased to have this one in my collection!!

Garey

Crosman 130-01.jpg
Crosman 130-02.jpg
Crosman 130-03.jpg
Crosman 130-04.jpg

Reactions: Ohplnkr