Crossman 1377 after installing steel breech hard to pump

New 1377 installed new steel breech from amazon. I read several posts on 1377's hard to cock. Advice was to check the new rear screw, it should be shorter than the original. Indeed both my old and new rear screws were the same length. Got out my digital calipers and set the opening to .685". Cut the screw to that length. Installed newly cut screw. It starts out feeling normal but when the pump has about the last 2 to 3" to go, it's a bearcat to finish. No child could do this. Can't remember it being so hard when test fired out of the box. Ideas/solutions will be greatly appreciated.

Now , I’ve only done one of these and had no issues at all. So I am by no means and expert. I also do not have the parts in front of me to see how they actually interact.
But I believe the rear screw just holds the end cap in place and retains the rear of the breach.
I don’t see how any of that would affect the pumping effort.
Now maybe the forward screw ? The tiny one down in the chamber. Maybe it is too long and the pump piston assembly is dragging across it. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I’m planning on doing another one of theses builds. So I’m curious to learn about potential issues.
Keep us posted of what you find. And my share a few photos.
Good Luck.

Edit : I just re read your post. In the title you mention “pumping “. Then in the beginning of your post you mentioned “cocking “ then the end of your post you mentioned “pumping “ again.
Can you elaborate on the issues?

Reactions: beerthief
None of that will help. Use some silicone lube in the cylinder, and on the pivot pins both on the tube and the pump linkage. Other than that it sounds you are gettig good compression. I used mine so much the plactic pump arm eventually broke. I bought an older pump arm that was more robust, but due to the geometry, it was even harder to pump. (had flat top piston/valve that makes it even ahrder to pump) Started actually hurting my elbow joint. So I pulled the trigger on a Tom West stock that I'd been watching on ebay. Had been marked down $20. Main reason being, the pump arm geometry is superior to most I've seen. Much longer, and the angle of it is a mechanical advantage, too. Had that stock for some yrs now, and my 1322 has seen many many revisions.

345897445_212995838146693_1801700099021598017_n_edited.jpg

Old pump arm

69680245_10157389224429034_6131995486481022976_n_edited.jpg

Last edited:
None of that will help. Use some silicone lube in the cylinder, and on the pivot pins both on the tube and the pump linkage. Other than that it sounds you are gettig good compression. I used mine so much the plactic pump arm eventually broke. I bought an older pump arm that was more robust, but due to the geometry, it was even harder to pump. (had flat top piston/valve that makes it even ahrder to pump) Started actually hurting my elbow joint. So I pulled the trigger on a Tom West stock that I'd been watching on ebay. Had been marked down $20. Main reason being, the pump arm geometry is superior to most I've seen. Much longer, and the angle of it is a mechanical advantage, too. Had that stock for some yrs now, and my 1322 has seen many many revisions.

View attachment 366196

Old pump arm

View attachment 366198
Got a link?👀
I've been looking for ideas on a different pump handle

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
Hmmm, sorry for being late to the party. I put a steel breech on a 2289 (never done one before) and it pumps fine. I can tell you this, that whenever I put pellgun oil on the piston cup it makes it even easier to pump.
🤔I've been using 3in1...but I finally got ahold of some Pullgun oil😅
I'll try it next time I oil the 2289🥴

Looks like I'm going to have to crack it open to do the lub job. I've opened a springer and cleaned/lubed it. But haven't opened any pistols. Will have to review some videos first. Great incentive to do your own "gun smithing". I have the tools and lubricants, will do as recommended and see my results. "In nomine Patris et filii......"
You really don't need to take anything apart to lube it.

20230622_185107.jpg

20230622_185047.jpg

Tried the pellgun oil!
Holy money what a better difference!👀
I was using regular Ole 3in1 oil. Shame on me now 😅
I even had the lady verify.
She couldn't do but barelyyyy do 2 pumps before. Now she can manage almost 4.
For me; I oiled and started working the pump. 3 pumps in and she started to get easier. Now I can get it to ten with about half the force I was using with 3in1 oil🤓
First hand experience has given me a change of mind for oils for sure😅
3 in 1....coming iut of my tinker tool box and going back in the regular ole toolbox🤣🤷‍♂️🎩🤙