Curiosity got me, shot 4 30 caliber slugs into my pool to see in slow motion, Hollow Point 62gn @ 900fps (made on Thor Press)

1000003317.jpg

Wow, that is so cool!
Thank you for going through the trouble of filming that and sharing it with us! 😊

Is the video in HD?
Because I'd like to download it and watch it with background music for relaxation. It's just great. 🤩

Matthias

this is one time I wish I knew how to see it in slow motion..I saw the initial hit followed by the air, but I wasn't able to actually see the pellet.. would be really something to get to see it impact and expand, like does it expand instantly or does it make it a little way into the water and expand as it goes..if imagine most of the expansion is at or near the surface as I still remember being a kid and learning how to swim and how it hurts when you do a belly flop..
just wondering what caliber and speed you are shooting too??
thank you for the great video and, well if you happen to know how to get it in slow motion it would be great to see a pellet expanding.
Mark

this is one time I wish I knew how to see it in slow motion..I saw the initial hit followed by the air, but I wasn't able to actually see the pellet.. would be really something to get to see it impact and expand, like does it expand instantly or does it make it a little way into the water and expand as it goes..if imagine most of the expansion is at or near the surface as I still remember being a kid and learning how to swim and how it hurts when you do a belly flop..
thank you for the great video and, well if you happen to know how to get it in slow motion it would be great to see a pellet expanding.
Mark
That is in slow motion...recorded in 240 fps. when you go to watch the video on the lower right hand side you'll see the settings "gear" you can click on there before you watch the video and slow it down even further, you can slow it down to .5X and if you fast forward to 1:32 that was the 4th shot I took and probably looks the best as far as being able to see the slug. Let me know what you think.

Last edited:
Reactions: markhooper
It seems the muzzle blast goes deeper into the water. I wouldn't expect that.
That wasn't the muzzle blast, the muzzle was about 4 feet above the water when I shot into it. Kind of like when you do a cannon ball it drags all the air down with it i'm guessing as well as cavitation or inertial cavitation

Mark
Can't see when it actually expands but it was in the first couple inches. In the pic you can see the temporary wound channel and the slug has already fully expanded and already slowing down

2.png

Reactions: markhooper
Can't see when it actually expands but it was in the first couple inches. In the pic you can see the temporary wound channel and the slug has already fully expanded and already slowing down

View attachment 470332
so I have looked at the pictures and, it's really neat..I understand it is cavitation but I was sure hoping to be able to see it in the water at various stages.. honestly if you wouldn't have put the arrow on the one sitting on the bottom I probably would have missed it..
so just a couple questions.. do you see it in any of the pictures on the way down? I don't,I assume it must be from the cavitation, all the air with the bullet.. I forgot if you were using hollow point but if naturally assume that what little air would fit in the tip would immediately dissipate when it flatten..
would be nice if someone could pick it out in a still frame and see how far it went before it flatten.. I'm going to assume from it that it was pretty immediate but it's just a assumption..
thank you for the pictures and video.. you are pretty amazing figuring out how to film it 😉
Mark

Crazy that the shock wave goes twice as far as the slug. And with significant velocity. The pictures really show the cavity it forms as the slug enters the water.

Ballsy shooting into the pool! :) Thanks for sharing!
even more so trying to film underwater.. looks like a vinyl pool..I'd myself be scared of putting a hole in it..or like a friend of mine said that he played with a spear gun in his Dad's pool and chipped the plaster 🤣 either way wouldn't be too good 😊
Mark

Reactions: ZekeZX10
so I have looked at the pictures and, it's really neat..I understand it is cavitation but I was sure hoping to be able to see it in the water at various stages.. honestly if you wouldn't have put the arrow on the one sitting on the bottom I probably would have missed it..
so just a couple questions.. do you see it in any of the pictures on the way down? I don't,I assume it must be from the cavitation, all the air with the bullet.. I forgot if you were using hollow point but if naturally assume that what little air would fit in the tip would immediately dissipate when it flatten..
would be nice if someone could pick it out in a still frame and see how far it went before it flatten.. I'm going to assume from it that it was pretty immediate but it's just a assumption..
thank you for the pictures and video.. you are pretty amazing figuring out how to film it 😉
Mark
Go to the video, got to settings (the little gear looking thing bottom right of video) and set to slowest speed setting, then go to the 4th shot I did at 1min 32 sec ...probably best look at slug but you can't really see the slug initially because surrounded by air